Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: Knife blade material from a sway bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the "hunt" is part of the fun sometimes.
    Different strokes, as the saying goes.

-D
    DZER

Comment

Why don't you scavengers just BUY the steel you want?
      because scavenging is a skill, and thinking of what you can do with that which was scavenged is a skill. search for railroad spike knife, railroad rail anvil, wrench knife, saw knife... do it because you can.

Comment

Sweet! Got the answers I was looking for. You guys are great. Im gonna cut them.

No holes in them.

There are hollow bars. My 62 nova has speedway engineering three piece bars and the torsion bar is a tube.

Oh, these are old bars from my garage. Been cleaning up.

I would not use them if they are tubes, too much work splitting them, flattening them then cleaning them. I wont forge a tube with unknown stuff (dirt, grease and such) in the middle.

I am not using a leaf spring because I dont have one sitting around.

Thank again. JR

Comment

Don't do like my dad. The ice on our local trout fishing lake would get about four foot thick in the middle of winter. Damned hard to get a hole thru with anything except a long handled ice chisel. My dad took the leaf spring out of an old car, and spent days filing and shaping it to be the perfect ice chisel. (No electricity back then). He made an oak handle for it about five or six feet long, and threaded a piece of leather thru the wooden end for a "Hang onto handle". He took it fishing one Saturday, and came back about two hours later. He had chiseled a hole all the way thru the ice, and he thought he had the "hang onto strap" around his shoulder. On the last stroke, the chisel went thru the ice into the water and kept right on going to the bottom, about 80 feet down.
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Went fishing with my dad one day. He had the line all neatly coiled on the ground so it would feed out easily. Swinging the hook end, baited and weighted, he got a good swing on it and let it go. The coil got smaller and smaller as the weight drew it out into the lake- then the end was reached and it took off. Shortest fishing trip I was ever on.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I would not make a knife from sway bars, only torsion bars will do.

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                Went fishing with my dad one day. He had the line all neatly coiled on the ground so it would feed out easily. Swinging the hook end, baited and weighted, he got a good swing on it and let it go. The coil got smaller and smaller as the weight drew it out into the lake- then the end was reached and it took off. Shortest fishing trip I was ever on.
                Everyone has a a story about the one that got away.

It seems like if it's a tube it should be fairly easy to anneal, flatten, then grind the edge off of the 9 inches or so that you need. Grinding the edges goes pretty quick and leaves you with two semi flat pieces that can be flattened on the anvil, press, etc.

Dan
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

89-20?? GM K1500 and K2500 independent front suspension 4wd trucks us a hollow front sway bar.....hollow isn't that rare.
                  ^I believe those bars are 4140. They saw pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                    I would not make a knife from sway bars, only torsion bars will do.
                    Why if I might? Spring steel. Should be good. Never tried it. JR

Comment

Well, I dont see any voids so Im saying solid

Now back to material. Could be 4140? I dont make knives out of that. I thought they were spring steel, they twist.

Thanks guys. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	cut RB1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	1895498

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B View Post
                        Not much help, but it could be either!

Could you drill a tiny hole, say 1mm? That would soon tell you. Otherwise, weigh them, calculate the volume from length x diameter, work out the density - Archimedes figured that one out.

Running through the streets naked and yelling "Eureka" is optional, but if you do, post the vid

Ian
                        A man was arrested recently for standing by a highway naked and waving Old Glory. He had a flag too.

Comment

As a result of this thread I took a look into recommended materials for knife blade manufacture, holy jumping jesus on a pogo stick these people are more infatuated with brands and numbers then hobby machinists.
                          Aside from audiophiles of course, audiophiles know the manufacturers name and model number of every vacuum tube ever created.
                          Behold
                          https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Knife-Steel-Guide--3368#m390

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                            Well, I dont see any voids so Im saying solid

Now back to material. Could be 4140? I dont make knives out of that. I thought they were spring steel, they twist.

Thanks guys. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	cut RB1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	1895498
                            Very unlikely to be 4140. Mostly because manufacturers won't spend the money if a plain carbon grade will do the same job. Late-model (last 20 yrs) pickup axles are 4140, before that everyone was using 1045 for axles. Springs tend to be 1075 or 6150 and I highly doubt they would spend the money on the higher alloy. Some high end coil springs (aftermarket makers and high end luxury/performance sedans) tend to be 6150. Hope this helps.
                            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Very unlikely to be 4140. Mostly because manufacturers won't spend the money if a plain carbon grade will do the same job. Late-model (last 20 yrs) pickup axles are 4140, before that everyone was using 1045 for axles. Springs tend to be 1075 or 6150 and I highly doubt they would spend the money on the higher alloy. Some high end coil springs (aftermarket makers and high end luxury/performance sedans) tend to be 6150. Hope this helps.
                              Well cool. If it is a nice 1075 that would work.

I went off what cijuanni said >"I believe those bars are 4140. They saw pretty easily." So I took it to the bandsaw and it did cut easily.

Either way. I have some metal to play with. Maybe crank up the 2300 degree electric furnace for fun? Naw, too hot these days. JR

Comment

JRouche, I have a piece of truck spring from a '56 F100. What size knife are you looking to make? If I can accomodate, I'll saw a piece off and send it for the price of postage.

Comment

Working...
                                X