Why I have a workshop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    I know this will draw criticism, but I never did get the model thing.
    Model steam engine or model IC engine. They never power anything
    useful at all. Most of the people who build them are poor machinists
    and they won't last very long. I say build an engine you can use.
    Make it big enough to put on a motorcycle or golf cart or something.
    Hook it to make a home backup generator. Anything but something that
    just sits there on a table. I have seen guys make a drill press or milling
    machine or a vise or index fixture, now that is useful. I have some ideas
    in my head to build a manual (maybe cnc) lathe some day. It will have
    the best features included that I have remembered from all the lathes
    that I have seen. Maybe even 2 carriages and 2 sets of controls.
    But I am trying to make something very useful. Something better than
    what currently exists. I mean, if you are into steam engines that just
    look cool, no problem from me. I am just saying I don't understand
    why someone would put forth effort on just a fancy paper weight.
    I guess I will put it into the hat of all the other things that I do not
    understand.

-Doozer
    Hi,

It's OK that you don't like model engineering. And it's OK that I like to pursue it.

For me, it's not about making something "useful". I made useful things for 30 years. But it IS about keeping my mind sharp and hands busy as I age. Model engineering can do that. And that is why I also bought a 3d printer. It's another avenue of challenge.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Why I have a workshop. Two reasons.

1. From an early age I was taught to fix things myself. Often nobody was available who could or would. I grew up in the country and something like a licensed plumber, electrician, refrigeration tech was 60 miles away and didn't want to come out even if you paid for their travel time. Mechanics. Only farm mechanics and they were so busy they didn't have time for anything else. Welders. Usually a local welder was a farm mechanic.

2. Way to many times when I would pay the rate for a top/licensed/certified/etc professional to fix/build/modify something they didn't fix it or they did it wrong. Heck, just this summer I had an AC unit fail on the house. I called the local proprietary Trane dealer who came out and told me the unit was just dirty. I asked him if he was sure the compressor wasn't bad. He said, "OH you didn't hear it start up when I pressed the contactor in?" When I asked how he could hear it over the fan he said he heard. It just shut down really quick because it was overheating because the coils were dirty. I asked him how much a compressor swap would cost if it was the compressor, paid him for his time, and let him know I'd call him back after I cleaned the coils if I needed to. He had specifically said the compressor was good, and the contactor was good. After he left I diagnosed it myself. The compressor was mechanically binding internally which was causing it to shut off. A hot start kit got it to run, but it made mechanical noises. The contactor was marginal, but as long as the fan kicked on that particular attempt it would attempt to power the compressor. Sigh. I called a buddy of mine who has his EPA cert so he can service the units on his rentals to handle the EPA part and I fixed the whole darn thing myself. The pro specifically told me the parts that were bad were good. How long did it take me to diagnose it? 15 minutes and most of that was getting the fan assembly screws off so I could put my hand on the compressor when I pushed in the contactor. That's why I have a shop. That's why I fix things myself. Oh, and I took a commercial refrigeration course in my tweens or early teens (It was a long time ago) so I could help service the cooling equipment for our family grocery store. Same reason. Just 40 years ago. So I could fix it myself. I had to learn a bit to service and repair a "modern" R410A unit, but the principles are all the same.

P.S. There a lot of cool products available today that sure would have made refrigeration work easier when I was a kid.
      Last edited by Bob La Londe; 08-31-2020, 01:18 PM.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I have a shop to help keep my sanity -- if indeed there is any.
        Other kids were born with a silver spoon. I was born with a wrench.
        Other kids wanted to go to the toy store. I wanted to go to the village hardware.

Decades later, I still have those wrenches in my hands -- it's what I do.
        I like making tools and useful things.
        I like pushing myself to always try to do better.
        I've spent the last 30 yrs doing MRO work -- maintenance and repair.
        I like being able to make whatever is needed to repair whatever needs fixing.
        And on a deeper level, I just like the tactile "feel" of metal working under my hands.

The shop helps me forget whatever crap maybe going on that day.
        I don't always have a good day in the shop
        But it sure beats whatever is going on in the rest of the world!

Comment

I have a shop to prevent me from becoming a bitter old man like Doozer.
          Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
          http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

No one digs a hole in the ground, just for the sheer experience of it, to enjoy the journey.
            ...Except maybe a dog.

You only got so many hours in your life time. I figure it is best to make them count .
            Building a do-nothing seems a waste of human existence. When I see these little
            models, I think, "Wow, this guy has absolutely nothing better to do. He must be
            retired and have all his needs attended to. Or going crazy."
            Buy hey, we all see the world differently. There is a slice inside my brain.
            Try not to run away screaming. (Most women do).

-D
            Ah, well how do YOU make them count? Do you spend your time in the shop, or do you work on making your community better?

How do you justify (to yourself at least, since you seem to want others to) how you spend your time, when there are other larger issues needing work that will benefit many more than just you?

That whole justify your time deal is a rabbithole down which I advise you not to go, since as soon as you stake out a position, there are probably ten other folks who can make you look like a selfish barsteward in two sentences.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

I used to dig holes just for the experience. Then I got another experience when my dad had something to say about it.

Something like what this guy has done- I might spend an evening doing something useless (in fact I often sit in front of the computer for hours) but to spend as much time as is obvious on that project- well I wouldn't find it therapeutic, or time well spent. I like to make things that are useful. I might spend five hours making something that gets used once or twice for a total of five minutes- that I seem to be ok with.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I'm from the era when Heath Robinson illustrations were commonplace, my old dentist from 12 years ago had a Heath Robinson cartoon picture 3 feet square on the surgery ceiling above the chair.

Comment

I kindof agree with Doozer, I don't understand the time and effort spent on building models that don't really have a purpose although I do enjoy building and flying model aircraft.
                  OTOH, I have nothing but respect for the craftsmanship that has gone into those engines and characters or whatever.

My favourite thing to do in the shop is make a part to repair something. Almost always with closer tolerance and a more appropriate material.
                  Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Ah, well how do YOU make them count? Do you spend your time in the shop, or do you work on making your community better?

How do you justify (to yourself at least, since you seem to want others to) how you spend your time, when there are other larger issues needing work that will benefit many more than just you?

That whole justify your time deal is a rabbithole down which I advise you not to go, since as soon as you stake out a position, there are probably ten other folks who can make you look like a selfish barsteward in two sentences.
                    You are right Jerry. Seriously. I have no desire to help the community. I am very selfish. It comes from being single my entire life.
                    It sucks being selfish really. I do help a select few others with my shop if they are motivated to learn. I have given away for free
                    lathes and mills to people who I thought would use them. Anyways, this time justification this is my own views. I really don't care
                    if other people make doughnuts or hex nuts. But I am selfish, grumpy, and lonely. But I am too logical to be depressed, because I
                    am at least healthy. When my health goes to pot, I believe I will get depressed. But I am sincerely grateful to those who understand
                    my sense of sarcastic humor and maybe laugh (or cry) along with me. I am not a bad person really. I am just on a different path
                    than 99.9 percent of the population. I could stand some life improvements for sure. For now I am doing the best I can.
                    You guys know I post from work to blow off stress, right? Cooperate life is a challenge. We can't even ask about people here who
                    have had #19, let alone talk about the ones who died here from it. Constant eyes and ears prying. Huh, save me.

-Doozer
                    DZER

Comment

You are right Jerry. Seriously. I have no desire to help the community. I am very selfish. It comes from being single my entire life.
                      It sucks being selfish really. I do help a select few others with my shop if they are motivated to learn. I have given away for free
                      lathes and mills to people who I thought would use them. Anyways, this time justification this is my own views. I really don't care
                      if other people make doughnuts or hex nuts. But I am selfish, grumpy, and lonely. But I am too logical to be depressed, because I
                      am at least healthy. When my health goes to pot, I believe I will get depressed. But I am sincerely grateful to those who understand
                      my sense of sarcastic humor and maybe laugh (or cry) along with me. I am not a bad person really. I am just on a different path
                      than 99.9 percent of the population. I could stand some life improvements for sure. For now I am doing the best I can.
                      You guys know I post from work to blow off stress, right? Cooperate life is a challenge. We can't even ask about people here who
                      have had #19, let alone talk about the ones who died here from it. Constant eyes and ears prying. Huh, save me.

-Doozer
                      You too? Same thing here.

Comment

It's cool Doozer. We all have a grump uncle that we love anyway. (And most of us take our turn at being the grumpy uncle!)
                        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mklotz View Post
                          I have a shop to prevent me from becoming a bitter old man like Doozer.
                          he's not bitter, he's just who he is and feels comfortable enough (or doesn't give a $h!t enough) to share that here. I might not always agree with him, but he always says something interesting.

nickel-city-fab - funny you should post that. My daughter was showing my Dad on Skype some coke can dragon she'd made using a pair of my pliers and I told him that they were a pair he gave me when I was 10 or 11. He told me that they were actually his Dad's, so Sophie's great-grandfather. I think that's pretty cool. Then again, I think my Dad gave them to me to stop me breaking into his locked tool box in the garage

Comment

-Doozer
                            ...have had #19. What?
                            Oh, oh, oh! Covid.....

Constant eyes and ears prying. Huh, save me.
                            You have them here too.
                            Last edited by reggie_obe; 08-31-2020, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I always thought model engine and train builders, we're the guys that were not allowed to ride motorcycles or racecars..

Comment

As an old friend would have said, "Rube would be proud!"

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                                To someday, create something as elegant (and practical!) as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W37meydbb5E
                                Paul A.
                                SE Texas

Make it fit.
                                You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                                X