Canadian source for MT sleeve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian source for MT sleeve?

I'm looking for an MT2 to MT3 sleeve - *not* an adapter with a tang on it. This kind:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MT3-to-MT2-....c100903.m5276

I'm struggling with the idea of paying over $50 Canadian just for the shipping. Surely someone up here has these things, but I have not been able to track them down. Busy Bee, KMS, Accusize, ...the usual suspects. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sure, I suppose I could make one, but the make the tool to make the tool to make the tool thing is getting old.

Thanks!
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

WTF is up with shipping to/from Canada? I live right on the border (US side) , and I've never seen it so high ?? There are freight and mail forwarders who might do it, or if you have a friend in the US who can send it regular postal mail.

Comment

I made a set from ones with the tang on them. Sourced them from KBC. Put them in the Monarch on an arbor with the tailstock in the center hole in the tang and parted them off.
      Mike
      Central Ohio, USA

Comment

I made a set from ones with the tang on them
        Great Idea! (/why didn't I think of that? Duh...)
        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
          I made a set from ones with the tang on them. Sourced them from KBC. Put them in the Monarch on an arbor with the tailstock in the center hole in the tang and parted them off.
          I did the same to an MT3 to MT5 sleeve. I touched it with a file and found it was not super hard. So I cut it off with my trusty bandsaw instead of the lathe. If it had been too hard to cut I'd have used a zip disc and water to keep it cool'ish.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
            Great Idea! (/why didn't I think of that? Duh...)
            Same here, why didn't I think of that? (I don't trust the sleeve that I have)

Comment

Monday morning, that's my excuse!

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                Monday morning, that's my excuse!
                Ditto. Fuzzy Wuzzy used Nair.

Comment

Since you guys are doing this be sure to check the gauge length and see how far the sleeve seats in what ever you are putting it in. I actually made a full set of them MT1 thru MT4. Found out once I was done the largest one was a bit longer than I wanted. If I had to do it again I would have also shortened large end prior to parting the tang end off. What I ordered were the unhardened sleeves from KBC. I parted them with a carbine insert parting tool. Touched up the cut end on a Scotch de-burring wheel.
                  Mike
                  Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
                    Yep. I'm planning on doing the same. Need to make a 6 to 4 and a 5 to 4.
                    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

How does US$6.05 sound, with free shipping? I have one of these,and it's certainly accurate enough for my needs. Yes, it's Chinese.
                      https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...archweb201603_

Comment

Can't you cut the tang part of a regular one? You could still use the draw bar fixed to the #2 one.
                        Helder Ferreira
                        Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Mike Burch I bought a tang type from KMS yesterday and cut off the tang. They are pretty much all Chinese anyway, but I didn't want to wait weeks or months. I may try an aliexpress for another size. Thanks - I don't usually think of them.

Comment

I'm jealous of you western guys having KMS. I've bought a few things online from them over the years, but wish we had a brick and mortar store to walk around. We've got princess auto, but it's not quite the same judging from the catalogue.

I bought a set of 4-3, 3-2, and 2-1 sleeve adapters a few years ago at a local tool sale for around $20 if I remember right. They've come in handy a few times. Starting to build up my collection of MT drills, but they're not as plentiful as they used to be.

Comment

Us western guys that are on the Island don't have much brick and mortar, except in the past year or so there is now a Princess Auto in greater Victoria. KMS is mostly oriented to contractors, but it does have a few metalworking bits and pieces. On the mainland there is also KBC, BusyBee, and more industry (as opposed to hobbyist) places. You Ontario guys may have to drive for a few hours to get to a real machinist supply store, but you don't have to also pay big bucks to take the ferry back and forth! That being said, it's a choice, and I'd rather be on the island.

Comment

Working...
                              X