Educate me on CNC routers(for wood)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educate me on CNC routers(for wood)

Thinking about building my own CNC router. Either 4x8 or 4x4 capacity. I also want to be unique and give it extra Z, say about a foot of travel. The purpose is mainly for carving out molds for large scale R/C airplanes.
    Thinking of using linear rails for all three axises. A cheap rolled ballscrew for Z with double nuts. I guess the same for X. For Y, not sure. Thinking of the gantry moving on linear rails but with either a timing belt and tensioner on both sides, or maybe even rack and pinion, the pinion being an anti backlash type? Use Aluminum for the uprights, perhaps the gantry being a steel weldment. Perhaps the bed being a plywood torsion box design with Aluminum extrusions. I'm not really sure.

cnczone

Comment

Might want to check out this company:
      https://www.cncrouterparts.com/

They attended one of the CNC Workshops in Ann Arbor and I was impressed with the design. Look like a stout machine. Clicking through their site should give some ideas for a home built unit.

Note -- no affiliation either personally or through the magazines with this company. I just liked their design and am simply suggesting the site is worth a look.
      George
      Traverse City, MI

Comment

For accuracy, double pre-loaded ball nuts, as per RB211, the CNCzone forum will have many examples, both DIY and cheap Asian.
        Max.

Comment

I have made a 900x2000 cnc router table. The price of a 2 metre ball-screw sent me back to the drawing board and I chose instead to use roller chains for the long axis. Of course roller chains are not cheap except they might be found in the scrap bin at your local garage door opener repair man! I have two loops of chain one each side of the table connected by a common drive rod. Driving both ends of the gantry avoids a lot of hassle with binding and rigidity etc.

For the short axis and the Z I used 12mm threaded rod from the local hardware store. Unfortunately I could not use threaded rod for the long axis as the rod would whip too much and I actually bent one rod during my early experimentation days. Plastic nuts made from Acetal have proved good with no discernable back lash.

John
          Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 08-31-2020, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Some pictures from the early days of my project. The gear box is to drive the chains of the long axis, the motor things are from washing machines, and the Z axis. As you can see my 'slides' are skate board bearings running on steel box section.

http://imgbox.com/g/jRJRjog57f

John

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post
              Might want to check out this company:
              https://www.cncrouterparts.com/

They attended one of the CNC Workshops in Ann Arbor and I was impressed with the design. Look like a stout machine. Clicking through their site should give some ideas for a home built unit.

Note -- no affiliation either personally or through the magazines with this company. I just liked their design and am simply suggesting the site is worth a look.
              I like what I see with them

Comment

Working...
              X