South bend 10k taper attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South bend 10k taper attachment

Anyone have or know where I might be able to get a taper attachment?

please and thank you

Originally posted by mwill135 View Post
    Anyone have or know where I might be able to get a taper attachment?

please and thank you
    They come up on ebay sometimes. Bout $500-1000 JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Over on the PM site in the SB lathe section aametalmaster made one from scratch for his 10K. Not pretty but works and much less than ebay gold.
      Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Several years back (at least 15, maybe 20) HSM ran a multi-part series on the construction of a telescoping taper attachment for a SB...don't remember the exact model, but pretty sure it was a 9 or 10". It's probably in one of the hardback books, but not one I have.
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I am not familiar with an article in HSM for a 10K taper attachment. However a three part taper attachment series started in the May/June 2008 for a 10/12 inch Atlas lathe. Then a followup three part series began in the January/February 2010 issue on upgrading that taper attachment. Looking over the articles and noting the materials listing and the time involved in construction, that $500 to 1000 Ebay auction may seem like a bargain.

Comment

Best bet is to keep an eye on eBay and PM. Believe it or not my best resource has been craiglist, with a 500-mile radius. I simply opt for the "search nearby areas" and click the relevant cities that are offered in the list. Being that I'm in Buffalo, that usually includes Erie, Scranton, Cleveland, Youngstown, and central NY/PA. Basically a long drive on a Saturday or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
              Several years back (at least 15, maybe 20) HSM ran a multi-part series on the construction of a telescoping taper attachment for a SB...don't remember the exact model, but pretty sure it was a 9 or 10". It's probably in one of the hardback books, but not one I have.
              You are correct, it's in our Projects 11 book. The title is:
              "Telescopic Taper Attachment for South Bend 9” or 10" Lathes"

I'm not in the office today where all my books are, so can't take a look at it to provide further details.

If interested, you can call 800-447-7367.
              George
              Traverse City, MI

Comment

If installing a factory SBL unit you need the cross slide screw too. The non-taper and taper equipped machines are different. Be sure and check the parts breakdown for the 10K.

For reference http://www.wswells.com/data/parts/parts_form_index.html
                Mike
                Central Ohio, USA

Comment

And one was just posted for sale on PM forum this evening. Mostly complete.
                  Mike
                  Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Some of the spare parts are grossly overpriced, there is a taperturning attachment for a Smart & Brown model A on ebay UK at the moment for £500. I'm glad the museum's machine already has one.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                      Some of the spare parts are grossly overpriced, there is a taperturning attachment for a Smart & Brown model A on ebay UK at the moment for £500. I'm glad the museum's machine already has one.
                      X2.... this is why I'm planning to make my own steady rest. South Bend parts are priced like collectible cars -- even if it's total junk, the price is still up there.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

X2.... this is why I'm planning to make my own steady rest. South Bend parts are priced like collectible cars -- even if it's total junk, the price is still up there.
                        Yep, every neanderthal Bubba "knows" Southbend lathes are "very valuable", and prices them and their parts in the stratosphere. Meanwhile a Logan, or a Sheldon (Sheldon is often many times better), gets a low price because nobody knows the name.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Yep, every neanderthal Bubba "knows" Southbend lathes are "very valuable", and prices them and their parts in the stratosphere. Meanwhile a Logan, or a Sheldon (Sheldon is often many times better), gets a low price because nobody knows the name.
                          Indeed, I ended up using Logan 820 dials for my large dial conversion on the South Bend -- the proportions are perfect, and the price was far, far less. They look like they actually belong there and I have less than $100 in the whole project, as opposed to $500 for junk on eBay.

Comment

I checked your reference and could only find the taper attachment for the 10" lathe, not the 10K. I believe the 10K does not require a different cross slide screw.

Ed P

Ohio Mike:
                            "If installing a factory SBL unit you need the cross slide screw too. The non-taper and taper equipped machines are different. Be sure and check the parts breakdown for the 10K."

For reference http://www.wswells.com/data/parts/parts_form_index.html

Comment

Making is effective. If you can remove the screw attaching the crosslide nut to the carriage easily, life becomes much simpler in a hurry.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X