The Rocketeer - Which One of You Scallywags Was It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fasttrack
    • Jul 2005

The Rocketeer - Which One of You Scallywags Was It?

I know it must have been someone from the forum, but who??

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pilo...ry?id=72755638

(In case you are leery of clicking on click-bait type links, that's a news story about a couple of commercial flights that reported seeing a man in a jetpack at about 3000' altitude)
    Anyone remember that movie about a young pilot who discovers a mysterious contraption that turns out to be a jetpack?
  • lynnl
    • Jan 2002

Reminds me of a case, also at LAX, back in the early part of the new millenium. Commercial pilots reported seeing a guy in a lawn chair suspended from some big balloons in or near the LAX airspace. Don't recall the altitude involved, but it was well above the normal cruising altitude of most lawn chairs.

But I don't remember if that report proved to be bogus or legit.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• Ironbearmarine
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
      Reminds me of a case, also at LAX, back in the early part of the new millenium. Commercial pilots reported seeing a guy in a lawn chair suspended from some big balloons in or near the LAX airspace. Don't recall the altitude involved, but it was well above the normal cruising altitude of most lawn chairs.

But I don't remember if that report proved to be bogus or legit.
      It was quite legit. The “pilot” controlled his descent with a bb gun, judiciously shooting certain balloons to maintain trim and speed. Lived to tell the tale and be arrested.

Comment

• jcfx
        • Apr 2016

I don't think Cliff Secord is active on the forum, but his buddy Peevy might be a lurker

Comment

• doctor demo
          • Apr 2006

This may be the clip, Larry was trying to get to Mojave I believe.

More from Inside Edition: https://www.youtube.com/user/cbstvdinsideedition?sub_confirmation=1One man's latest adventure took him to new heights in an unconve...

Steve

Comment

• doctor demo
            • Apr 2006

Referencing post 2 and 3, not the op
            Wrong clip, this one is Larry
            http://catalibanes.blogspot.com/2013/07/el-increible-vuelo-del-hombre-silla.html (Spanish).https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F...

Steve
            Last edited by doctor demo; 09-02-2020, 04:01 AM.

Comment

• RB211
              • Mar 2015

I wish I was so lucky to see this. Best I can say is that I've seen two comets enter the atmosphere with an intense neon green glow, and getting lasered by a green laser a few times.

Comment

• danlb
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                I wish I was so lucky to see this. Best I can say is that I've seen two comets enter the atmosphere with an intense neon green glow, and getting lasered by a green laser a few times.
                I saw one meteor last month that started in the northern sky about 20 degrees above the horizon, and took a couple of seconds to paint a very wide orange neon trail across the sky from left to right. It was much slower than any meteor I've seen before, and much faster than any plane. The trail faded away as quickly as it was painted.

I'd love to see a working jet pack too!

Dan
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Optics Curmudgeon
                  • Jul 2006

Yves Rossy, perhaps? I think he has more sense than to do this, though.

Comment

• Randy
                    • Apr 2001

The original lawn chair pilot was Larry Walters in 1982. He was interviewed by David Letterman. When asked what he achieved by this stunt he replied, "Inner peace."

A rare interview with Larry Walters, the man who launched himself into the sky on a lawn chair with weather balloons attached. Full story here: https://en.wi...

Comment

• Fasttrack
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Optics Curmudgeon View Post
                      Yves Rossy, perhaps? I think he has more sense than to do this, though.
                      Apparently anyone with more money than sense can buy a jetpack these days. Operating it successfully is another thing entirely, though!

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...pack-next-year

Comment

• lugnut
                        • Sep 2004

WOW, my wife made me put a 8 inch altitude limit on my lawn chair. No fun at all.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                        Oregon Coast

Comment

• J Tiers
                          • Jan 2004

I did not know those jet-packs had that much fuel. It would be the start of the bad part of the day to have a fuel problem when at 3000 ft. Then there is the issue of getting back to base with it, you might stand out a bit walking back with it even if you did get it landed.
                          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
                          X