OT Tour de France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Tour de France

Are any of you keeping up with this years Tour de France? I'm not a cycling person, But I watch it and enjoy.it. It's amazing what these guys are doing. What I really like about the tour is the great scenery. Some of the towns they are going through date back to the 11th century.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

I'm a lifelong cyclist and raced seriously in the 70s. I don't follow racing as carefully as I used to, and don't know the riders and teams so well anymore, but Le Tour is still the central event of the summer for me. I absolutely agree with you, the stunning scenery and quaint towns are half the reason to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
      .. It's amazing what these guys are doing....
      I am thoroughly disappointed in the human condition at their current state of evolution.
      Make it difficult to celebrate athleticism. Something completely irrelevant to almost everything.

-Doozer
      DZER

Comment

One of these days I will be out of my funk and say,
        "Wow, I live the French... And I love bicycles....And I love the beautiful scenery...And I love human athleticism so much...And I love performance enhancing drugs...Yea go team..."
        But not right this day today. Sorry I don't share your views. Nothing personal. Hey, bicycles are kinda cool. When you put a motor on them.

-D
        DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

I am thoroughly disappointed in the human condition at their current state of evolution.
          Make it difficult to celebrate athleticism. Something completely irrelevant to almost everything.

-Doozer

Comment

I've been keeping up with the Tour news as it's always neat to see who's racing and how the race develops over 3 weeks. It is truly incredible how they keep up that pace and output almost without break for that long.

I've done several long bike tours through France Spain and Italy, about 1000-1200 miles each over a couple of weeks, and accidentally did a couple of the climbs on the tour. One in the Pyrenees for sure. I think one had a giant penis drawn on the road for some reason. I can't think of a better way to see a country AND eat as much cheese as you want.

Comment

.Something completely irrelevant to almost everything.
              r
              Does it make a lot of sense to keep reaching global conclusions only considering your vantage point? From mine, you couldn't be more wrong in the sense that athletics are very relevant. I think you recently said you've been single all your life, so would it be safe to say you've haven't raised a child? Its maybe not a surprise then as that little endeavour provides a different paradigm, and kind of a relevant one to the species.

When you are charged with that task, creating well adjusted, successful adult, its hard to image more effectively teaching them about not always putting themselves first, sometime life includes loosing but keep your spirit up and keep going, life's not fair - suck it up if you didn't get the position you tried out for, the thrill of success when it does come together, the comradery and friendships built, the socially adjusted character it creates and maybe most importantly teaching the great benefit exercise and fitness provides toward a happy healthy life.

Another huge benefit it brought was time together - especially in those teenage years where there are less and less things in common and they're pulled in other directions. You can't have great relationships with them without time together, even if its the captive ride to practical a few times a week. Priceless in the teenage years.

In a way you are right, athleticism doesn't matter....i.e. it doesn't matter if you're a star ( i never was, well, was pretty good at skiing, wasn't the first picked in hockey or baseball). Mine were a mix of house leaugers and stars but they all did team sports through out growing up, a pattern that continued through universities and now as young adults.

I've watched a huge amount of sports over the years. We'd probably agree on the value of watching strangers do sports, but when I watched I always had a kid on the team.
              Last edited by Mcgyver; 09-02-2020, 05:43 PM.
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Yes I was picked last in gym class. Not ashamed of that.
                No kids, but you are saying being a father gives you a more full perspective on life?
                Hmm. That actually does compute. McGyver I think you might have something there.
                Thanks for taking the time to think about my situation. I never really linked the two.
                First it was hard enough to get women to talk to me. and if I did convince one to
                have sex with me, I was afraid first of catching aids and second, the personal
                responsibility of ever having a child. That was high school and college.
                Now today, at my age, most women have been fuked over by men so many times
                that they hate men, and still won't talk to me. And I am still afraid of catching aids
                and the personal responsibility of having a kid, if one of them should be lonely
                enough to take their clothes off in front of me. That is why I hope to meet a lady
                engineer or machinist. At least then we would have something to talk about.
                She would also probably be afraid to have kids too. But at least we could work
                on things together. Clothing optional. But she would have to prove that she
                does not have crotch crickets. Kind of a must. Simple right?

-Doozer
                DZER

Comment

Yes I was picked last in gym class. Not ashamed of that.
                  No kids, but you are saying being a father gives you a more full perspective on life?
                  Hmm. That actually does compute. McGyver I think you might have something there.
                  Thanks for taking the time to think about my situation. I never really linked the two.
                  First it was hard enough to get women to talk to me. and if I did convince one to
                  have sex with me, I was afraid first of catching aids and second, the personal
                  responsibility of ever having a child. That was high school and college.
                  Now today, at my age, most women have been fuked over by men so many times
                  that they hate men, and still won't talk to me. And I am still afraid of catching aids
                  and the personal responsibility of having a kid, if one of them should be lonely
                  enough to take their clothes off in front of me. That is why I hope to meet a lady
                  engineer or machinist. At least then we would have something to talk about.
                  She would also probably be afraid to have kids too. But at least we could work
                  on things together. Clothing optional. But she would have to prove that she
                  does not have crotch crickets. Kind of a must. Simple right?

-Doozer
                  Sounds ideal but I don't think it works that way. I know, I'm in the same boat as you. Women are simply not wired like that.

Example: I have a cousin who did her undergrad in physics with a sideline of machining. Master's at Harvard. PhD Berkley. President's scholarship. Tenured at a small private school in the northeast. In her spare time, guess what she talks about and deals with?

Her kids. And her vegetarian recipes.

*shrug* I never claimed to be a people person, although I observe them very closely like a scientist. I'm too poor to have any chances anyways, as if physical handicaps weren't bad enough. I simply learned to accept the situation and got on with life and not worry. It beats hell out of drinking.

Oftentimes the best way to solve ones own probs is to help someone else out of theirs. Hey, you never know --
                  Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 09-02-2020, 08:25 PM.

Comment

"Wow, I live the French... And I love bicycles....And I love the beautiful scenery...And I love human athleticism so much...And I love performance enhancing drugs...Yea go team..."

-D
                    Just imagine what you could sell the seats for on eBay after the race, because I guarantee some perverts would pay big money to sniff them.

Comment

Record and watch almost every stage. Honestly it's not the bicycling that is of interest so I just skim through most of it except for the final 10 miles or so. The parts I find interesting are seeing all the cool little towns, chateau's, forts, etc that they talk about for a minute or so and explain some of this history and such. France is a pretty big country so this is a nice, simple way to get a free tour.

Comment

No kids, but you are saying being a father gives you a more full perspective on life?r
                        It certainly gives you a different perspective and imo it deeply changes you. I don't know of anything else that causes you to all of sudden, 100%, put someone's well being way out in front of everything else. All of sudden the greatest driver in life and pleasure you get is what you are doing for someone else - thats a big change! As young man you kind realize, holy sh1t, I've walked through the looking glass and things will never be the same again.

I don't want to or mean to imply to one isn't complete or able to have a full perspective without parenthood, that would be rather a self righteous kind of position - do what I just said don't do: take ones position as universal. And....having to all of a sudden live your life for someone else (because you have to and want to) has pros and cons, there's lots of appeal to the bachelor life. It made me grow up...otoh I think most parents would agree that not much else changes or defines to the same extent.

It just struck me as the cause of the difference between our perspectives on sports - I could care less about watching them, but having kids made me learn they aren't irrelevant because kids get a lot from them
                        Last edited by Mcgyver; 09-02-2020, 08:58 PM.
                        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                          Record and watch almost every stage. Honestly it's not the bicycling that is of interest so I just skim through most of it except for the final 10 miles or so. The parts I find interesting are seeing all the cool little towns, chateau's, forts, etc that they talk about for a minute or so and explain some of this history and such. France is a pretty big country so this is a nice, simple way to get a free tour.
                          Right on, I set my Dish Tv about 6 years ago to auto record the Tour. After all those years, I'm still have not completely got a-hold of all the political infighting between teams, but the history lessons and the scenery make up for the BS. And you're right, if you get bored, just zip ahead to something fun or interesting to watch.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                          Oregon Coast

Comment

Like many sports, you don't really get a sense of the speed on television. It might look liked the peloton is taking it easy for most of the race, but those guys are moving fast.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post
                              Like many sports, you don't really get a sense of the speed on television. It might look liked the peloton is taking it easy for most of the race, but those guys are moving fast.
                              As full of performance enhancing drugs as most of them probably are, they SHOULD be moving fast.

Yeah, yeah, they test for drugs, right? That issue was solved decades ago by russians and others..... different drugs, not the ones typically tested for.

Bicycle racing has been notorious for a long time. The Lance Armstrong deal was a joke.... he got pointed out, and the rest of them laughed because they were not called out about it.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X