Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remind me: German Made Oil Cans for Those Pesky Ball Oilers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remind me: German Made Oil Cans for Those Pesky Ball Oilers?

I'm once again looking for a source of new oil cans that actually seat properly in those little ball oilers. I've got one older can that works great but I need another for myself and a couple for my shop at work. I made the mistake of buying a couple of oil cans off of McMaster but they were the usual seamed oil can with a spout that doesn't seat properly. It's fine for filling up reservoirs or squirting oil on gears or something, but not for the ball oilers.

Someone on here previously recommended a German (or was it Swiss?) company that made really nice oil cans. At the time, they were a bit steep for my pocket book so I put them on a wish list. Now I'm ready to order them but I can't remember the brand name. Unfortunately, searching the forum for "oil", "oiler", or "oil can" is a bit like searching the forum for "the" or "and"!

Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Reliag.

-Doozer
    DZER

Comment

Doozer has it. They are Swiss made but I think it's spelled Reilang.
      I used to have one but it is now AWOL.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Just ordered one, Reilang R003, from www.jensputzier.com At my suggestion, very well taken, they updated the product description to say "ball oiler tip". Not at all inexpensive, but I don't want to fool around any more. Also purchased two spare tips and one nozzle. I hope to pull measurements and see what can be made to fit in aluminum water bottles. Very pleasant to work with, we exchanged several emails. The gentleman was a High School exchange student and has excellent English. Oh, there are a couple of eBay sellers but it wasn't clear the R003 had the ball oiler tip. That's why I ended up talking to Jen. But they do, so there's another option.

Ron
        Last edited by Shiseiji; 09-02-2020, 10:54 PM.

Comment

I have always found the Goldenrod oilers good for ball oiler ports. Even Amazon sells them. Have i missed something?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironbearmarine View Post
            I have always found the Goldenrod oilers good for ball oiler ports. Even Amazon sells them. Have i missed something?
            Dunno, I've got a collection of the old Eagle pump cans that work fine -- the old brass ones and the big stainless ones. I don't think I got any of them "brand new", every one of them was used.

Comment

Thanks fellas! Reilang was what I was trying to remember!

Originally posted by Shiseiji View Post
              Just ordered one, Reilang R003, from www.jensputzier.com At my suggestion, very well taken, they updated the product description to say "ball oiler tip". Not at all inexpensive, but I don't want to fool around any more. Also purchased two spare tips and one nozzle. I hope to pull measurements and see what can be made to fit in aluminum water bottles. Very pleasant to work with, we exchanged several emails. The gentleman was a High School exchange student and has excellent English. Oh, there are a couple of eBay sellers but it wasn't clear the R003 had the ball oiler tip. That's why I ended up talking to Jen. But they do, so there's another option.

Ron
              Would you mind measuring the tip when you receive it? Looking at the picture, I wonder if the tip is big enough. I assumed all the ball oilers were the same size but maybe not? All 4 of my Pacemakers have ball oilers all over them and standard Goldenrod or similar tips are too small to get a tight fit. They depress the ball just fine, but I want the outer surface of the tip to seal against the brass ring so I can get a little pressure behind the oil and force it into the oil passages. My old mystery can, which works great, has more of a rounded tip to it.

Doozer - same question to you if you have any Reilang cans hanging about the shop.

Comment

i prefer more pressure:

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                  Reliag.

-Doozer
                  Hey you! I thought you said you said you were tired? ;8
                  My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by Ironbearmarine View Post
                    Yeah, a new Reilang is about ten times better than a new Goldenrod. Maybe the old Goldenrod's were good, but not the new ones. The Reilang won't leak, puts out much more pressure, has a rotating pickup, works upside down and is built like a tank. I tried thee other new oilers before it (including a Goldenrod), and the others were junk by comparison.

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
                    Would you mind measuring the tip when you receive it?
                    The tip on the R003 is 3.3mm.

I only have one negative thing to say about the Reilang. It comes with a flat washer to seal the top. The washer stretches and squeezes out when tightened. I replaced the washer with a tight-fitting o-ring, and it works much better.

I've ordered from Jens Putzier's ebay store a couple of times. No problems.

Comment

@dian: what exactly are we looking at in your image?

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
                        Thanks fellas! Reilang was what I was trying to remember!
                        Doozer - same question to you if you have any Reilang cans hanging about the shop.
                        I have one Reliang oil can. I know it is a Reliang, but it has TRIUMPH cast in the side.
                        Not sure of what tip you need, but why not just make on one on the lathe ?
                        I have some pump oilers that I made a 1/4-28 female thread fitting that I soldered on
                        so I can use MiG welding tips on them.

-Doozer
                        DZER

Comment

Originally posted by tlfamm View Post
                          @dian: what exactly are we looking at in your image?
                          oil/grease gun with a rubber cap from gas bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                            i prefer more pressure:
                            Oh I like that. I wonder if I could adapt those non-marring blow gun tips to an oil can...

Originally posted by Doozer
                            Not sure of what tip you need, but why not just make on one on the lathe ?
                            I have some pump oilers that I made a 1/4-28 female thread fitting that I soldered on
                            I could but if I'm going to spend $50 on an oil can, I'd sure like it to work right out of the box. But adapting it for MIG welding tips is a great idea. I've only got a TIG and stick welder but if I still had my old Millermatic, I'd do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

-Doozer
                              ... now THAT is one of the coolest ideas I've seen in a while! Should post that in the "shop made tools".

Comment

Working...
                              X