Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remind me: German Made Oil Cans for Those Pesky Ball Oilers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

    Oh I like that. I wonder if I could adapt those non-marring blow gun tips to an oil can...



    I could but if I'm going to spend $50 on an oil can, I'd sure like it to work right out of the box. But adapting it for MIG welding tips is a great idea. I've only got a TIG and stick welder but if I still had my old Millermatic, I'd do that.
    can't find enough heat and a bit of solder ?

    Comment


    • #17
      Here is what I did for 1/4 of a century..
      the oiler can that came with my lathe did not fit perfect. I take a piece of paper towel doubled over, put it over the fitting, then line up the oil can and start pumping.. ..works pretty good..

      Comment


      • #18
        Reilang.can - the tip from a Bic ball point pen,soft soldered to a piece of annealed copper tube.
        Unfortunately these are now plastic so this tip is not as helpfull as it might have been 😉
        What you say & what people hear is not always the same thing.
        www.remark.me.uk

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by 754 View Post
          can't find enough heat and a bit of solder ?
          I don't understand your question. Soldering or brazing is not the issue... I was just hoping to find a can that works right off the shelf. I would modify one to accept MIG tips like Doozer did if I had a lot of tips laying around but, since I sold the Millermatic, I don't have any. I'm not going to buy new, perfectly good MIG tips to use for an oil can when I could just make my own out of a bit of scrap brass.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Doozer View Post

            I have one Reliang oil can. I know it is a Reliang, but it has TRIUMPH cast in the side.
            Not sure of what tip you need, but why not just make on one on the lathe ?
            I have some pump oilers that I made a 1/4-28 female thread fitting that I soldered on
            so I can use MiG welding tips on them.

            -Doozer
            Best idea I come across all day. Thanks, Doozer

            Sarge41

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

              I don't understand your question. Soldering or brazing is not the issue... I was just hoping to find a can that works right off the shelf. I would modify one to accept MIG tips like Doozer did if I had a lot of tips laying around but, since I sold the Millermatic, I don't have any. I'm not going to buy new, perfectly good MIG tips to use for an oil can when I could just make my own out of a bit of scrap brass.
              Okay , going to check the price of a mig tip... must be a lot , if you would rather make one..

              Comment


              • #22
                My lathe has several ball oilers of different sizes, most of them far too small for any oil can I've ever seen.
                So I use a medical syringe. The OD of the needle is small enough to slide past the ball and into the oiler (I have ground the really sharp bit off the end). Squeezing way oil out through such a narrow tube is hard work, but it hasn't crippled me yet.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by 754 View Post
                  Here is what I did for 1/4 of a century..
                  the oiler can that came with my lathe did not fit perfect. I take a piece of paper towel doubled over, put it over the fitting, then line up the oil can and start pumping.. ..works pretty good..
                  I use a piece of rag and have done so for 1/4 of a century too. It works perfectly with any decent oil can. The rag prevents leakage and the oil goes through the rag into the ball oiler as if the rag wasn't there.

                  I post this 'fix' every time the subject comes up, but as far as I can tell, no one takes any notice...

                  Go on, try it, you have nothing to lose

                  Even if you have the correct oil gun (e.g Pom-Pom gun with correct oil fitting, not the grease fitting), the rag prevents any leakage and you need to be carrying a rag anyway when lubing your machinery.
                  Last edited by Peter S; 09-03-2020, 09:04 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Peter S, sometimes it seems on here the easy answer is often ignored. It's almost like .. if it's that simple or that fast... then there must be more to it..

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I don't know whether to say you're welcome or I'm sorry.

                      (It seems the same sentiment crosses my mind when I am
                      with a woman). LOL

                      -Doozer
                      DZER

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by 754 View Post

                        Okay , going to check the price of a mig tip... must be a lot , if you would rather make one..
                        Must be a pretty slow lathe hand if you'd rather buy one...

                        Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                        I don't know whether to say you're welcome or I'm sorry.

                        (It seems the same sentiment crosses my mind when I am
                        with a woman). LOL

                        -Doozer

                        Ha! Just say you're welcome. I thought it was great idea, too. Not right for me now but back when I had a MIG welder I hung on to the wore out tips. Eventually had a soup can full of 'em and finally decided it was dumb to save them. Wish I had been a little more creative!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Peter S View Post
                          I post this 'fix' every time the subject comes up, but as far as I can tell, no one takes any notice...
                          WRONG! Someone here (maybe you) mentioned it in one of my posts. I now do it for the couple of oilers that cause me trouble. It still squirts out sometimes, but it helps.

                          Thanks for the tip if I didn't thank you last time.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            If you want the push style which give you more pressure for the pumping and sealing, Abnox are the ones to get. Swiss; what Schaublin uses.
                            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by pinstripe View Post

                              WRONG! Someone here (maybe you) mentioned it in one of my posts. I now do it for the couple of oilers that cause me trouble. It still squirts out sometimes, but it helps.

                              Thanks for the tip if I didn't thank you last time.
                              Woohoo, that's good to hear

                              And it reminds me - the "rag trick" works for damaged zerks (grease nipples) too. The sort that leak grease when you are trying to grease an older tractor or car etc. because they have been damaged. Put a rag over the zerk, push the grease gun chuck on over the rag, and it often fixes the leak. I discovered this on old cars, which sometimes had one or two zerks dinged by flying stones etc. sometime in their long life near the road. I am talking about chuck-type grease gun fittings, not the needle type.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Ironbearmarine View Post
                                I have always found the Goldenrod oilers good for ball oiler ports. Even Amazon sells them. Have i missed something?
                                The tips yes. I find the handles aren't very sturdy, but maybe I simply drop them too often. I've just learned they have a model with a tempered handle but I've only found it on their website.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X