OT- kit cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KIT CAR:, my description of a kit car is as follows:

You meet this beautiful well endowed lady at a party. You dance, eat, drink and enjoy each other. You fall in love instantly, you ask her to become your wife. She excepts, and the big day goes on with out a hitch,

On your wedding night you both go into the bedroom and start to undress each other. She takes off her wig, next she removes her dress and removes her bra that is filled with stuffing. Then then she removes her panties and expose her padded hips.

Now she asked for a glass to put her false teeth into and a place to put her glass eye. Next she removes her panties and OH NO SHE IS NOT A FEMALE!!!!!

Now you know what a Kit car is all about.
    Last edited by lugnut; 09-03-2020, 09:22 PM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Comment

Well now you all got me thinking that I should restore the Land Cruiser instead. It wouldn't be a sports car, but it would be fun. Put a whole different body on it, maybe a radial engine, killer sound system of course, maybe even a roof-

The major drawback is that it will never be a highway driver, never be sporty, or fuel efficient- it will never handle any better than it does now. It would definitely carry a battery load though-

What I need more than that is a highway car that I can afford to buy and drive. I lied about having only 6 bucks in my account- my pension cheque is in there now too. Whoopee- maybe I should start looking at a Bugatti.
      Last edited by darryl; 09-03-2020, 09:39 PM.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

This is another car I made although this one was really a kit. The body was polyester resin and had no steel or other stiffeners, all floor and bulkheads etc are bonded it and it is one piece. The bonnet top is sheet aluminium. The full steel chassis was designed and fabricated by a professional car builder.

The kit really had everything down to the last nut and bolt. I had to mount the body on the chassis and install the engine and mechanicals, wire it up, install instruments, make the dash, install the upholstery. I had enough cash to do this project without unduly scrimping and it was well worth it serving as my daily car for almost 10 years running up about 130,000 miles.

The engine was a Toyota 2 litre twin cam, twin double barrel Delortos, five speed gear box, IRS from a Isuzu, front suspension from an Australian Holden.

The power to weight ratio was very good but the streamlining left something to be desired, it could easily do 160Kmph up a steep road (which most traffic takes at 80 Ks) but on the flat it would not really go much faster hitting a brick wall at that speed.

The picture shows it with a hardtop but I almost always drove it without that, top down and side screens up.

I assembled it in 1989 selling it in 1999 and I have recently seen it advertised again for sale still looking very smart, in my humble opinion.

(Once again, I used the humble Fordson tractor headlamps though by 1989 I could no longer buy them new.)
        Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 09-03-2020, 10:51 PM.

Comment

My friend used to own a 260Z and I would drive it sometimes. I liked it- and it's something that I might realistically find and be able to afford. Not so for the 2000GT- or any of those cool cars that you guys have posted links to.

I saw a guy pulling up to the curb with an XKE on a trailer, so I spoke to him. He told me that by the time he'd be done fixing it up he'd be hating the thing. One friend had another older Jag, I think it was an XJ-10, a sedan. That might have been a cool car to drive, but probably an expensive nightmare to maintain. I'm not into that, not into the old muscle cars, at least not as far as wanting to own one.

As far as a kit car, I'd have to start with a frame and drivetrain that it's made for. Often a VW. Don't think I'd want that either. And I'm not wanting to impress anybody that I'm driving a ----- whatever. Most of the modern electrics look 'normal' now, but none of them look cool in any way. The Omni look just doesn't do it for me. Maybe I should check out a Tesla-
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Friend of mine built an Ultima GTR maybe 10 or 12 years ago which i helped out with on occasion (electrics primarily) - sold it after he started clocking up points on his license!!

https://www.ultimasports.co.uk/Previous/UltimaGTR

It had an american v8 putting out something like 700 bhp; was a real blast to drive but boy did you ever need to respect the loud pedal; was so easy to oversteer.

Always fancied one myself but with a slightly lesser tuned engine to make it more "every day enjoyable"..

Batt..

Comment

I used to own both of these. Both Australian Bolwells. Both fibreglass bodies on a steel backbone chassis.
              The bright yellow one on the left is a 1970 Mk7. It was a kit car that had an Australian Holden 186 CI straight six. I fully rebuilt this one over a 6 year period
              The one on the right is a 1974 Nagari. Most of these were sold fully built up from the factory. The earlier ones had 302 or 351 Windsors in them, the later ones had either 302 or 351 Cleveland's. This one had a 302 Cleveland with a top loader. Apart from the wheels this car was pretty much original.This picture was taken in 2004.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	70637234-770-0@2X.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.5 KB ID:	1897127 1948 Dodge Power Wagon.
                  ​​​​​​
                  Last edited by redlee; 09-04-2020, 09:27 PM.
                  Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

That's cool too- I wonder how well that body would fit a Cruiser frame- and now I wonder what other truck body would be cool to reproduce-

Comment

Here is the last "kit" car I put together, still going strong. Maybe a bit closer to your budget?
                      The TRX-4 chassis kit combines the same innovative features as a Traxxas rc crawler with the fun and excitement of building your own kit. Build your own portal axles, high/low range transmission, and remotely locking differentials. All the parts are organized neatly in labeled bags with waterproof electronics and pre-assembled shocks and suspension links.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

Or a bugeye Sprite. Fun until it breaks...

-js
                        The car with a built in happy face! I had one for a while with the intent of driving it while I built up some parts and then rebuild it. But life got in the way. The garage I was renting got sold out from under me and I had to move out. Couldn't find a new place to rent quick enough and had to sell the whole collection of things I'd found off to a racing buddy for about 50 cents on the dollar.
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post

If you could have any kit car, what would it be?
                          This one...
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2135 (Large).JPG
Views:	98
Size:	587.2 KB
ID:	1897284

Comment

That's a nice looking car too.

My friend has a TR 4- it's in a state of disassembly. I pulled the engine out myself, no hoist required- not the most healthy thing for me to do, but there it sits now on the bench in some state of being rebuilt. Maybe I should revisit that project with her. It would be nice to have it on the road again. It's not my 'dream car', but still would be good to see it restored.

I don't have a dream car really. There are many that appeal to me, with smooth lines and nice curves. I've never been a car guy in terms of restoring something to original and proudly showing it, though I do appreciate that. To people who do this it must seem a sacrilege to do the kit car thing, I can understand that. As far as the Land Cruiser goes, it will never be restored to original because most of the body has been replaced with fiberglass constructs, and that is now showing its age. I still entertain ideas of what I could do with it, but at this point none of that is realistic.

Looking at the XKE I came across one model which I didn't know existed, the type e low drag gt. That's a cool looking car.

Comment

Problem with kit cars is getting them titled and registered. EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT. Here a cobra kit car would need to be registered as a 2020 SCV (Specially Constructed Vehicle). Which means meeting all 2020 emissions and whatever else the state wants at the time.

Comment

There is kits for repowering a Mazda Miata with a V8.
                                That would surely be an inexpensive way to get the most smiles-per-gallon.

Comment

Working...
                                X