OT: looking for clothes washer recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: looking for clothes washer recommendations

My old Whirlpool washer is showing its age - takes forever to fill and leaks into the tub when it's not running. No complaints, it's 25 or 30 years old. Time for a new one.

I want a top loader, 4 cu. ft. or so capacity, not interested in bells and whistles. Thinking in the $500-800 range.

So who has suggestions or warnings on brands/models? I know it's hard to know who makes an appliance these days, never mind the brand name. My primary desire is for reliability.

TIA...

-js
    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

I looked around and finally found a washer without an LCD display or computer control. A basic Kenmore model controlled by the big rotary switch, just like my mom's old washer. Less to fail and simpler to repair.

Mike

Comment

Because of the recent pandemic I felt compelled to setup my own laundry, rather than accept the risks associated with continuing to use the local laundromat. In researching washers and dryers I found the following link extremely helpful.
      \
      In my case I wanted the better performance of a front-load washer, which led me to purchase a display model Maytag, which had been discounted due to a battered cabinet. Performance is outstanding and the spin cycle so fast that clothes come out almost dry!

https://www.reviews-washer-dryer.com...r-reviews.html
      12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
      Index "Super 55" mill
      18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
      7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
      24" State disc sander

Comment

Our recently retired appliance repair guy with decades of experience advised us to avoid electronic controls. They are not all that reliable, and are generally non-repairable. And they can be unnecessarily expensive.

His recommendation was Speed Queen units with mechanical timers. They are about twice the cost of most other brands, but that's the way we went. It's only been a few years, but so far, so good.

Ed
        For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
          OT: looking for clothes washer recommendations
          I would try to find one ten years younger than you are, low maintenance, that also cooks.

-D
          DZER

Comment

Ez, thanks for that link - it's very complete.

Mike and Ed, I've been considering that point. I don't need bells and whistles, don't need 36 cycles or lots of other features.

I've seen a couple of mechanically controlled Speed Queens on Amazon - a bit more expensive, than the rest, but seems like a good idea.

Doozer, think I'll keep the one I have. It'll be 51 years in a couple of weeks...

-js
            There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

I'd stick with another mechanical timer machine. Can't think of what else a washing machine needs to do, that needs all that fancy stuff. Ours came with the house and has to be 20 years old, and aside from replacing a few pumps that ingested kids socks it's simple, easy to use, and fix should something else break. It's not a maytag, but (name escapes me atm) made by them, or whoever makes maytag. They're all pretty similar.

Comment

Speed Queen more than you want to spend but
                worth it.

I bought the Canadian version https://huebsch.com/
                Top Load old school , no electronics.
                Last edited by redlee; 09-03-2020, 07:38 PM.
                Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

Top loaders are all 'efficient' now too and they all suck. I went that route a few years ago and had the retailer come and get it a couple of weeks after they brought it. They don't clean well and the clothes stink. When you look at the pathetic 'agitator' action and hardly enough water to wet the clothes its easy to see why.
                  I ended up with a large LG front loader. It cleans much better than the Whirlpool top loader and the clothes don't stink if you get them in the dryer within an hour of the wash, and it lets me get 3 extra rinses to help get the detergent out. I, too, have heard good things about Speed Queen. BTW, the LG was pretty pricey as well.
                  Last edited by chipmaker4130; 09-03-2020, 07:54 PM.
                  Southwest Utah

Comment

Chip, it's not that it's a toploader, it's the HE that's the problem. I've had top loaders for nearly 50 years here and never a problem with odor and the clothes were always clean. So I agree with you - not interested in HE washers. Not like we use them several hours a day.

-js

Comment

I have a Whirlpool washer and dryer. I didn't buy them..... the other half did. She didn't ask for my approval prior to buying them.
                      I can't stand the washer....... you can't open the top if it's started to run. If I want to put something in when it's running I have to shut it off, listen to the musical chimes and wait a couple minutes for the magnetic latch to let go.
                      I have to figure out how to by pass that PIA feature.
                      Worst part about both machines is the tops aren't flat, they slant like the hood of a sports car. Everything I set on either machine slides off and ends up on the floor.
                      One of these days I'm going to cut and glue some floor mats to the top of both machines weather she likes it or not.

JL.....................

Comment

Jim: We bought Speed Queens (washer and dryer) a few years ago to replace our old American made maytags. She didn't want the new front loaders, too many bad reports. The Speed Queens are the type made for laundromats, tough as a tank. Just manual dials, no fancy controls, They ain't cheap, but worth it. We would do it again if needed.
                        Sarge41

Comment

why a top loader? they rip you clothes apart.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                            why a top loader? they rip you clothes apart.
                            What prompted that claim?

In over 75 years of wearing clothes that were washed on a regular basis in top loaders, I've never heard of, or experienced, such a thing.
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

About 10 years ago, our washer died, my wife wanted one of those high end “Energy Efferent” washers.. What a piece of… Lots bells, whistles, and lights (looked like a spaceship), used very little water and spun at some stupid speed. Bottom line is that it didn’t get the clothes very clean. Then it became unbalanced, a call to the helpline “oh, you’re overloading it, you need to rearrange the clothes better” .. Got so bad that if I ran it empty it became unbalanced… after only two years… looked like a disco ball with all the lights.

Then I remembered back when I was a Private in the Army, all the crap we would put in the barracks washers, and they just kept running. And my college days, the washer/dryers in the dorms, the abuse we put them thru, and then the laundromats, during the first few years of married life.. They were all Speed Queens. Bought a set about 6 years ago…. No issues what so ever, and they clean clothes. Built like Soviet Tanks, but made in the US.
                              Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

Working...
                              X