Looking for a new manual Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new manual Lathe

I've had a Chinese 14 X 40 for about 15 years - was OK - did lots of stuff on it - was OK but not great. Single phase machine, hard to get a nice surface finish on it. Always annoyed me that to switch from power feeds to threading, I had to take off the end cover and change 3 different gears (with 3 different wrenches !)
    Moved awhile ago, hired movers for the heavy stuff. They tipped the lathe on its face and smashed the carriage wheel and gearbox. Paid me out for it, its all good.
    Looking for something better in the same size range. I'm in Calgary, Alberta. Anything I'm seeing used around here is either too big, too small, clapped out or outrageous price.
    I can buy similar new mainland Chinese, no problem but I'm hoping there might be something like Eastern European on Taiwanese in a similar price range that's a better lathe.
    Any one seeing anything like this ?
    Not scared of 3 phase, might even prefer it.

One of the PM Taiwan lathes, but for the price, old American industrial purchased and shipped to you would be much better bang for the buck.

Comment

There are a lot of machine shops and machinery dealers up in Edmonton. Any time I've been there
      the dealers usually have lathes in the 17" swing and up range but not so much in the smaller sizes.
      Still, given the amount of machining that takes place up there I'd still check things out. Otherwise you
      just need to be patient.

Some Chinese lathes are better than others. I have a Dalian 13 x 40 that's otherwise above average.
      It weighs about 3200 lbs., has a D1-6 spindle, 2-1/16" bore through the headstock, a bed that's 11-1/4"
      wide and a MT4 tailstock. Being Chinese it has its quirks but it has still treated me well. It's head and
      shoulders above a 2000 lb. 14 x 40...
      Keith

Comment

Precision Matthews has some nice stuff from Taiwan (those are clearly noted in the description). Not sure of sources within Canada.
        https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1236t/
        Mike
        Central Ohio, USA

Comment

If you're looking for a new Taiwan lathe, I can highly recommend Acra -- can't say enough good about them. One of the guys on PM just got their 16x40 and was stunned at the accuracy and finish -- he thought there had to be a trick. Nope, it's just a good deal. Here's one on eBay, brand new. Identical to the machine I was trained on.
          : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acra-14-x-4...-/283351311472

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
            There are a lot of machine shops and machinery dealers up in Edmonton. Any time I've been there
            the dealers usually have lathes in the 17" swing and up range but not so much in the smaller sizes.
            Still, given the amount of machining that takes place up there I'd still check things out. Otherwise you
            just need to be patient.

Some Chinese lathes are better than others. I have a Dalian 13 x 40 that's otherwise above average.
            It weighs about 3200 lbs., has a D1-6 spindle, 2-1/16" bore through the headstock, a bed that's 11-1/4"
            wide and a MT4 tailstock. Being Chinese it has its quirks but it has still treated me well. It's head and
            shoulders above a 2000 lb. 14 x 40...
            Exactly, heavy 13 or 1440s are very nice.

I like a lot of the features of Dad's Lagun.
            • 2 1/6" Spindle
            • D1-6
            • MT4 tailstock with 6 1/2" of travel
            • 7hp
            • Metric threading with no change gears. The old time a gear is changed is to cut worms.
            Disadvantages is not being able to get the carriage close to the spindle for collet work.

But something like that would be a heck of an upgrade. Having to change gears to go from feeds to thread is nonsense.
            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Cuslog: Would you want to share your budget on this? It makes a difference when looking. My friend bought a new 14 x 40"Sharp a few years ago, nice lathe.

Comment

If you can handle a heavier weight machine,their is bargains out there even repowered with half the HP they can be great machines.

Comment

Even most chinese 14x40 lathes seem to have usable threading gearbox without need to swap gears constantly. Common problem in smaller chinese lathes, yours must have been "budget" version in 14x40 size.

Summit 14x40 is rumoured to be made by ZMM Bulgaria
                  https://www.artools.com/products/sum...-metal-lathes/
                  https://www.zmmbulgaria.com/en/produ...-lathes/cu-325

But it is kind of suspiciously cheap for (east) european made lathe.
                  Machine tools from behind the Iron Curtain have also less than stellar reputation around here. Kinda works...usually heavily built but build quality can be hit and miss. Haven't seen the new ones like ZMM bulgaria by myself but hearsay is the same old song.. casting sand in headstock bearings and so on.
                  Last edited by MattiJ; 09-04-2020, 02:30 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=cuslog;n1896936 Always annoyed me that to switch from power feeds to threading, I had to take off the end cover and change 3 different gears[/QUOTE]

Hey now, I am trying to cry you a river but it just wont come.

So you cant enjoy the lathe you have. Pain in the azz to cut threads is it?

Please stop complaining. There are peeps out there knocking it off without your neat machine.

JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Dafuq sort of logic is that? If he has money for a new machine why should he put up with the one he has? Because someone online told him to??

I'd never put up with change gears like that. I guess I'm a crybaby too.
                      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

IF I were in your circumstances I would be looking closely at the TOS lathes, made in Czechoslovakia.
                        I ran a very worn one for 5 yrs at one job and later chose a similar new machine for another employer.
                        Both of them were smooth, easy to use and strong machines. I believe they built them down to about 14 by 40 size.
                        Hope this helps David Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge41 View Post
                          Cuslog: Would you want to share your budget on this? It makes a difference when looking. My friend bought a new 14 x 40"Sharp a few years ago, nice lathe.
                          I'm hoping to hold it to 10K Canadian (~7.5K USD) landed and running in my shop.

Comment

As David said, TOS are excellent machines, as it seems anything from East Europe is. I was looking at a shaping machine from StankoImport recently. 18" stroke, same capacity as my Elliott 4M. But twice the weight. I've yet to see a flimsy machine from that part of the world.

Ian
                            All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

How about this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SN40B-Tos...8AAOSwMmpe1L7W It looks like it has both power feed and rapids on the saddle & cross slide.

Yes, it's in the UK, but I had a Harrison M400 shipped from the UK to Holland for 200 Euros - freight may not be all that much.

Ian
                              All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Working...
                              X