Would You Buy This Or Make It ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Buy This Or Make It ?

If you had welding capabilities would you make this or buy it?? https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/54761465 I think it's a bit on the pricey side for what it is. I have welding capabilities but am running short of work space. I would have to have the sheet metal sheared and folded at the local fab shop, but I don't think that would cost any where near the price of the rack listed. I need a rack with shelves for all the stock that's piling up in a corner of my shop. I would change the design slightly and add some good casters so I can move it around if I have to.

I have a few racks up on the walls above my overhead doors but I use them for long bars, rod, and angles and it's not easy to get at any of that stuff. I have it all inventoried so I know exactly what's up there.

JL...................

I have a similar rack, I picked up at an auction. The questions posed should be, do have a: sheet metal brake; drill press? No welding whatsoever.

Comment

Get some old bed frames and make one for zip. I've seen commercial shops do that. What you're paying for on those is mostly labor.

Comment

Bed frames! If you have a local Habitat for Humanity Restore they usually have many bed frames for free or cheap. Ours has entire 55 gal drums filled with them for a donation. Go bed frames!

Comment

At $444 + truck freight, its a no brainer, build it.
          its not complicated at all
          how much is freight on that?

Comment

Yeah, I'd make it. There is nothing there that requires precision welds. Even all of the angles can be done based guesswork. The metal should not be that expensive if you can get it at a decent metal supply place.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

For my home shop I would make my own, even if I had to go out and buy the material. However,, if I were a busy employee, or a small business owner I would consider buying it, IF I thought that the time I would take to make it could be better spent making more money doing well paying work. regards David Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                At $444 + truck freight, its a no brainer, build it.
                its not complicated at all
                how much is freight on that?
                Don't know. I get free shipping. But I still wouldn't buy it.

JL.................

Comment

I would build it yourself or possibly check out used pallet racking companies they sometimes have used Surplus Vertical racking similar to one in pic,they come all sizes. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3247.PNG
Views:	326
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	1897626

Comment

Now that US a nice shorts rack , in the last pic.

Comment

I built the rolling A-frame rack from bits and pieces The base is 3/8" plate, just 22x36", with 4 sturdy swivel casters. The A-frame is made from pieces of bed frame steel punched and bolted together. I used some old steel banding for diagonal cross braces. It has 4 horizontal "shelves" which hold shorts. The big key to making the best use of an A-frame rack is partitioning it with horizontal separator bars. Mine is separated into 4 vertical partitions on each side. Two of my 8 slots hold square tube. Another holds channel. Others hold solids (round, square, hex), flat, and pipe/tube. The last one holds long skinny packages of steel, since I have several to store. Within each partition I try to put taller wider stuff towards the back and shorter narrower stuff in front so I can see them. This rack isn't super glamorous but it does a reasonable job. If I knew of a better solution I'd build it, but for now this is mine.

metalmagpie

Comment

$445 ? ! ? ! ? ! ? If you are in any way a home HOBBY machinist, as opposed to a home business, then this is a no brainer. Make the darn thing ! ! ! !

Hobby home machine shops are typically a touch crowded too. So making your own rack opens up the chance to make it fit your particular scenario.

That was my reasoning when I did the ones shown below. The rack under the grinders for longer lengths (20 ft'ers cut into 10ft lengths and some shorter down to 5ft) and the unit I made up for easy access to shorter lengths also shown below. I can put items up to 5ft long in this vertical pigeon hole rack.

As you can see the longer horizontal rack also doubles as my grinding bench. Again this was, for me, the most effective use of this area so that I could keep the grinders as far from the machine tools as my space allowed.

The rack shown from MSC? Frankly I don't think it stores enough metal stock in relation to the floor and volume spaces it takes up. And cap it off with a fairly princely price? No brainer for me.

Look over the racks in this and other threads and think about your own space situation and come up with your own better option.

If I were doing my metal rack up over again I'd also build in one more level. I tend to jam too much into the one "shelf" and it makes keeping track of stock more difficult. Mind you I never intended to have as much as I do. It sort of grew when I wasn't watching..... I'd be given a bit here, find some there and next thing I knew it was a schmozzle and a half. I need to build some things that use up some of what I've got.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020183.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1897648
                        What it used to be when I first built and filled the rack. Nice and organized.

Name:	P1030905.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1897649
                        What it is today..... No idea how this happened....

Name:	P1030906.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1897650
                        Made from plywood and 4inch PVC drain pipe to create small pigeon holes so the whole mess doesn't tie itself into knots. Works very nicely.
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Tundra, that's a fantastic storage rack you have. But it also clearly requires a fair bit of room. The right solution for the right place again. Sure is nice though....
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I'd make a rack from $20 worth of lumber and some pieces of 2" and 3" PVC drain pipe. Maybe some bungee cords to hold long pieces in place. Wood and plastic are a lot quieter, too. I actually need to make something similar, and I have plenty of scrap lumber and pipe, so I'll show the result when and if I make it.

Name:	5476146-21.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1897661
                            Last edited by PStechPaul; 09-07-2020, 01:31 AM.
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Can't even open the page.

Comment

Working...
                              X