Phoenix sidewalk gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix sidewalk gloat

The sidewalks were hot in Phoenix today. It was Sunday and I was taking advantage of the deserted streets to take photos of whatever caught my eye. I spotted a copper penny, and damned if I didn't feel compelled to pick it up. It's ridiculous, I know, but I still use cash in coffee shops and I hate having to bust a bill for lack of the proper change. The penny had been baking in the sun and it was probably hotter than 140ºF, enough to burn my fingers -- I juggled it into my pocket like a hot potato.

Half an hour later I spotted another shiny object on a concrete footpath. Here's the photo: a 1/4"-drive 11/32" socket. It too was hot as blazes, but at least it had more potential than a copper cent. It is well-made, but unbranded. I have now checked my toolbox and confirmed that I never have owned this size before. I never had an American car, so I mostly needed metric wrenches.

This is about as meager as a gloat can be. Surely nobody will say I suck over this.

What is the best thing that you ever picked up on a sidewalk on a hot day?

Click image for larger version  Name:	socket.jpg Views:	0 Size:	278.5 KB ID:	1897621
    Last edited by aostling; 09-06-2020, 11:01 PM.
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

You suck! That's the rare 8.731mm socket, used for .... something or another.

Seriously, I don't go out in the hot weather anymore. AC in the house, the car and everywhere else has spoiled me.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

hah... I like hot weather, having had my fill of sub-zero in Minnesota decades ago. -40 F (or C) is OK, but gets a bit old. Not that it gets that cold anymore up there.

Anyhow I'm one of those who comes out of a store that has A/C and says"ah, that's better" when the 95F hits me So I take a walk around noon, and have done at most of my jobs.

I have found all sorts of useful stuff.....screwdrivers, torx drivers, sockets of various sizes, socket extensions even for the 3/4" drive set, a good steamboat ratchet tie-down, a complete 3" Greenlee knockout punch, A large amount of foreign coins in the dirt, and I cannot recall what else.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

You might be surprised... that 11/32 socket is handy for all sorts of electrical work and gauges.

Up here it tends to be the opposite -- people lose tools in the winter, I find then and restore them. There's an Autozone (O'Reilleys) about a block away, so tools tend to be a regular thing. Over the last few years I have found a complete set of pliers under a couple feet of snow and salt, rusted and frozen solid. Could hardly even tell what they were -- they use a lot of salt around here.

Let em soak for a week in vinegar. Buffed em up an the wire wheel at work, then polished with the sandpaper flapper in the die grinder. Soaked em in my thin oil mix (mineral oil USP with kerosene).

Everybody at work thought they were snap-on. Nope, they were found.

I've got several pounds of screwdrivers the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post
          ..........What is the best thing that you ever picked up on a sidewalk on a hot day?..........
          A cute little blonde with an incredible body! She was hot, too!
          Last edited by Arcane; 09-07-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Only after further reflection did I realize that I once found 1/2 of a 100 dollar bill on the sidewalk near Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. Actually it was a whole bill but I split with my buddy who saw it first but elected not to pick it up. He thought it was a fake advertisement bill.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
              Only after further reflection did I realize that I once found 1/2 of a 100 dollar bill on the sidewalk near Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. ...
              Nice. That will buy lots of good stuff in San Francisco. My regular hangout is Higher Grounds, a one-man operation at the foot of Chenery which serves good filled crepes. I don't have any hangouts in the East Bay, but there must be some good Italian cafes in Alameda. Oakland too has lots of soul. Berkeley has sort of lost it.

I lived eighteen years in Palo Alto and Menlo Park, from 1961-71, and from 1983-90. I finally left after two years of unemployment to take a job in Tucson. Once you leave the Bay Area it is a one-way trip. High rents keep you from moving back. But I return twice a year to visit family and friends.
              Last edited by aostling; 09-07-2020, 02:46 AM.
              Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                hah... I like hot weather, having had my fill of sub-zero in Minnesota decades ago. -40 F (or C) is OK, but gets a bit old. Not that it gets that cold anymore up there.
                Oh yes it does although it has been several years since I have seen -50 F. It seems like a nice winter when it only gets down to -30.

Comment

Originally posted by RMinMN View Post

Oh yes it does although it has been several years since I have seen -50 F. It seems like a nice winter when it only gets down to -30.
                  Well, for quite some time the cold temps have been north, more by you. They used to occur in St Paul.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

How was this socket made? With a square hold at one end meeting a hexagonal hole at the other end, it could not be turned. Is it a forging? If so, the die might also impress the socket size-lettering, with no need for an engraving tool.
                    Last edited by aostling; 09-07-2020, 12:40 PM.
                    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Timely thread. It's been a good year for road finds. A 10" adjustable wrench although Harbor freight and driven on 36 times, a decent #2 phillips screwdriver, 5 gallon gas can, a set of ear muff sound dampers and today a pair of sunglasses for wifey. Amazingly these only had a little scratch on one side.

Comment

Originally posted by I make chips View Post
                        Timely thread. It's been a good year for road finds. A 10" adjustable wrench although Harbor freight and driven on 36 times, a decent #2 phillips screwdriver, 5 gallon gas can, a set of ear muff sound dampers and today a pair of sunglasses for wifey. Amazingly these only had a little scratch on one side.
                        I've found a few things on the road, a CP 1/2" drive air impact wrench, some hand wrenches but the best was a heavy duty fiberglass extension ladder that was brand new and I suspect never used even because it had a factory tag on it secured with a thin little wire around the rungs on both the bottom and extension ladder parts.

Comment

How was this socket made? With a square hold at one end meeting a hexagonal hole at the other end, it could not be turned. Is it a forging? If so, the die might also impress the socket size-lettering, with no need for an engraving tool.
                          Nomenclature is embossed with a roll-marker, like a Noble-West or a George Schmitt machine.

-Doozer
                          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post

A cute little blonde with an incredible body! She was hot, too!
                            Mine was a little redhead, and boy, did she like to cuddle. But, being a nice guy, I called her owner, and that little yorkie went home.

Comment

The sidewalks were hot in Phoenix today. It was Sunday and I was taking advantage of the deserted streets to take photos of whatever caught my eye. I spotted a copper penny, and damned if I didn't feel compelled to pick it up. It's ridiculous, I know, but I still use cash in coffee shops and I hate having to bust a bill for lack of the proper change. The penny had been baking in the sun and it was probably hotter than 140ºF, enough to burn my fingers -- I juggled it into my pocket like a hot potato.

Half an hour later I spotted another shiny object on a concrete footpath. Here's the photo: a 1/4"-drive 11/32" socket. It too was hot as blazes, but at least it had more potential than a copper cent. It is well-made, but unbranded. I have now checked my toolbox and confirmed that I never have owned this size before. I never had an American car, so I mostly needed metric wrenches.

This is about as meager as a gloat can be. Surely nobody will say I suck over this.

What is the best thing that you ever picked up on a sidewalk on a hot day?

Click image for larger version Name:	socket.jpg Views:	0 Size:	278.5 KB ID:	1897621
                              I picked up a good looking brunette once...

Comment

Working...
                              X