Is this really an exotic fastener?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this really an exotic fastener?

Probably like some others here, my go-to place for many mechanical things, especially fasteners, if McMaster-Carr. They rarely let me down, always seem to have stock of what I need, and shipping is fast.

Today, for a pretty routine job, I needed some 5/16-24 x 3/4" flat head Phillips screws.

"No worries", I said, I'll just order a box from McMaster online and have them tomorrow."

Imagine my surprise and disappointment when I found that this seemingly pretty common ordinary fastener is apparently not something they carry. In fact, it doesn't look like they carry that fastener in any length.

Not a biggie--it just surprised me.

No need to tell me where to buy them. I already found them from another source.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

I think of hex socket gd. 5 when I see the 5/16-24. Eehh. Where did you find the Philips heads?

Pete
    1973 SB 10K .
    BenchMaster mill.

Comment

I found it through Amazon--a company called "Hard to Find Fasteners". The price reflects that it is not a common item.

Ed

Comment

Any UNF thread with philips head is probably not so common?

Comment

Who uses Phillips heads over Allen socket hex head???
          Such an inferior way to transmit torque.

-D
          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
            Any UNF thread with philips head is probably not so common?
            it looks like UNF ends at 1/4", at least with MC for flat head Philips screws.

Exotic means foreign and since its imperial I'd guess the correct answer is its unlikely exotic

I seems like a large fastener to be using a Philips head on, Ed are you trying to match something? I'm with Doozer on it being sub-optimal...unless it has to match an existing fastener for appearance's sake.
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Yes, it's part of a British car restoration, so i was trying to match the original fastener. I'm not really that much of an originality wonk, though, so I might just use a socket head.

Comment

Imperial threads!! On a British car?? Tell us more, pics would be nice.

Sarge41

Comment

Its a 1969 Triumph GT6.

Actually, British cars of this era used mostly imperial fasteners, though there is a smattering of metric, and a few odd-ball threads, like BA and BSC. No Whitworth by this time, though.

Ed

Comment

Occasionally I'll check Bolt Depot, but I don't buy many bolts or screws from them. I do get closed end stainless pop rivets from them though. Hardly use open ended anymore.
                    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

wow, .....thats a big project, thanks for posting the pic
                      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I will give you odds that if you had called, McMaster would have been able to get them.

Looks like a fun restoration. And I would go a step or two further to get the authentic bolts/screws.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

I'll bet you are right, Paul. I've always found MC very accommodating.

Yes, it is a fun restoration. This is my second car. Finished the first one a year or so ago.

http://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-125/TR6-125.html

Last edited by ed_h; 09-08-2020, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ed_h View Post
                            Its a 1969 Triumph GT6.

Actually, British cars of this era used mostly imperial fasteners, though there is a smattering of metric, and a few odd-ball threads, like BA and BSC. No Whitworth by this time, though.

Ed

Very nice work! Glad to see you are going about it correctly. Thank for the pics.. JR

P.S.> It is nice to see a person that tkes the time to actually look into an old car to see what needs attention.

Peeling the paint off is one operation I think many folks dont do enough.

You did that and hat hats off to you.... JR

My third paint peel In my Home shop, neighbors loved me. Loved me more when they moved for some odd reason..

Click image for larger version

Name:	skinned1.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1897816

Click image for larger version

Name:	skinned2.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1897817
                            Last edited by JRouche; 09-07-2020, 09:05 PM.
                            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Nice work Ed, I have admired your work through Triumph forums. I have a TR4a solid axle car that a friend gave me after it sat in his garage for 38 years following an accident that bent the frame. Had it running the next day and have a TR6 frame that I am converting to TR4a solid axle specs.

Comment

Working...
                              X