Is this really an exotic fastener?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    Who uses Phillips heads over Allen socket hex head???
    Such an inferior way to transmit torque.

-D
    It all depends on what your doing. SHCS are fine but stand higher than PH screws. BHCS are closer to PH screws but the hex socket isn't as deep as the SHCS. If torque is an issue, you may strip out the hex.
    If I really have to torque down a PH screw I use an impact driver...... not an impact drill / screw driver...... I mean the ons you smack with a hammer. I have an old one made by Vessel that I used to remove the PH screws on my motorcycle. https://www.google.com/search?q=vess...w=1536&bih=700

JL................
    Last edited by JoeLee; 09-07-2020, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I didn't really intend to make this about my car projects, but thanks, Guys.

Ed
      For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
        It all depends on what your doing. SHCS are fine but stand higher than PH screws. BHCS are closer to PH screws but the hex socket isn't as deep as the SHCS. If torque is an issue, you may strip out the hex.
        If I really have to torque down a PH screw I use an impact driver...... not an impact drill / screw driver...... I mean the ons you smack with a hammer. I have an old one made by Vessel that I used to remove the PH screws on my motorcycle. https://www.google.com/search?q=vess...w=1536&bih=700

JL................
        We are talking about flat head screws, right?
        Phillips drive verses internal hex drive, right?
        You are saying Phillips are better, but only if you use a impact driver ????
        Really?
        No one mentioned Socket Head or Button head.
        So??
        -D
        DZER

Comment

Who uses Phillips heads over Allen socket hex head???
          Such an inferior way to transmit torque.

-D
          You were the one that mentioned PH. But that's OK, we talk about all kinds of stuff here.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by ed_h View Post

Today, for a pretty routine job, I needed some 5/16-24 x 3/4" flat head Phillips screws.

Ed
            Who mentioned Phillips ?????????
            Not I.

-Doozer
            DZER

Comment

Bah, blame the British, those bar$tards.

Super cool that you finished the TR6 Ed, I was following that build some years ago but forgot to go back to it. My Dad had one of those many moons ago and got a kick out of reading your restoration.

Comment

Just use a 1/4-28 and some JB Weld... works good enough for a Turnip.

Comment

"Exotic Fasteners! $5 a show! Private shows! 24 hrs!"

Oh, Fasteners! I thought you said something else....

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                    Any UNF thread with philips head is probably not so common?
                    Actually the thread pitch has little to do with it. The diameter is more important -- it is very uncommon to find a Philips head on anything larger than small machine screws, Certainly I've never seen a Philips head on anything larger than 1/4".

Historical tidbit: The Philips head was originally sold to Cadillac car company to fasten their interior trim back in the 1920's. It was sold as a way to speed up production as demand increased, and not for any real quality. Source: (a very good book) https://www.amazon.com/One-Good-Turn...dp_ob_title_bk

Comment

I think these screws that hold the field cores in older starters and generators are 3/8".

I had read or heard that one of the original features of the Philips drive is that the driver would cam out before it could apply enough torque to break the fastener.

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by ed_h View Post
                        ...I had read or heard that one of the original features of the Philips drive is that the driver would cam out before it could apply enough torque to break the fastener.

Ed
                        In my opinion (?) Phillips heads work great for WOOD screws, but I find their use offensive on MACHINE screws.

That starter design is 100 years old. For real.
                        In shop manuals for starter work, it shows the starter fixed in an arbor press
                        with the ram applying pressure to a Phillips bit being turned by a wrench.
                        More evidence of a glaring mis-application of a fastener drive system.

-Doozer
                        Last edited by Doozer; 09-10-2020, 08:41 AM.
                        DZER

Comment

In my opinion (?) Phillips heads work great for WOOD screws,
                          r
                          They're the poor cousin of Robertson head wood screws.

About the only thing I'd say works well with a Phillips head is drywall screws
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Wood/drywall screws. Same thing really.
                            I agree.
                            DZER

Comment

That starter design is 100 years old. For real.

-Doozer
                              AMEN and amen! I could see Philips being OK for things like machinery tags, electrical parts, trim pieces etc. but *not* for anything critical to functionality. The pole shoes in my big welder are held in with 3/8-16 hex head bolts. Think about how much shear stress they are experiencing at a radius of 6" (12" dia generator) with 35 ft-lbs going thru the armature at 2400 RPM's... times whatever the magnetic strength is in there...

Comment

-Doozer
                                Yes, the use of large Phillips screws in that place was common, but a royal pain in the rear. Here's my implementation :

Comment

Working...
                                X