Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your Fears ? What process or procedure is holding you back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your Fears ? What process or procedure is holding you back?

What thinks give you fits thinking about having to try to machine..?
    Single point threading, gear cutting, setting up a dividing head , hand bringing cutter tools. Broaching, splining, knurling etc?
    what is it that prevents you from forging ahead.. ?
    Last edited by 754; 09-07-2020, 10:22 PM.

You first😝

Comment

There must be something, but mostly, I will try anything that looks reasonably safe to do (for me and/or machine).

I don't enjoy making parts that are a very long series of steps, because I need to become even more careful at each step, or a scrap a lot of work. But I WILL do those. Just not when I am tired or distracted, unless it is really necessary.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

I don't like jobs that beat the he'll out of my machines.. usually bidding hungry when I had the shop.. but man those guys that say use the machine , replace it if it gets beat... that was not in my plans..

Comment

I am honestly kind of afraid of CNC.
          One missed thing, and POW ! ! ! !
          I want (maybe) a CNC Bridgeport for my shop,
          so I can learn, but not happened yet.
          I have a HAAS to use at work, but I only
          do very simple stuff, like drill cycles for
          many holes, stuff like that.

-Doozer
          DZER

Comment

Parting off is a white-knuckle experience for me,
            but I'm slowly getting better about it as I learn what my lathe likes and dislikes.

CNC gives me constipation, it winds me up so tight.

Comment

Lack of space is the main one for me.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Van man-

Throw those 45° angle parting tool holders for the lantern post away.

-D
                DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                  Van man-

Throw those 45° angle parting tool holders for the lantern post away.

-D
                  ain't using them. I'm using an AXA #7 holder with a 3/32 blade. What gets me is why does it dig in sometimes? When it seems like everything is going perfectly till half way thru then BANG and your suddenly having a bad day.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                    What gets me is why does it dig in sometimes? When it seems like everything is going perfectly till half way thru then BANG and your suddenly having a bad day.
                    Tool too high, a lack of rigidity, inconsistent feed, loose gibs, etc.
                    Keep the tool sharp, stickout at minimum, and the part RIGID! Be sure you are set very squarely, the RPM's on the low side (remember the SFM changes as you progress), feed consistently (preferably with power feed) so you are always pulling a chip, use oil or flood (and try to keep the chips clear), and set the tool at dead center or a tiny bit low. Use the thinnest blade that is still stiff enough, and of course, some metals part more nicely than others.

Comment

And keep backing off if the work is heating up ...

Comment

I'm not a big fan of having to set up the same part in multiple different setups. I do it when I need to, but I tend to take ​​​​more time than is necessary just sitting back and thinking about it.
                        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

My biggest shop fear? Having to move....something I'd like see happen in the near term
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Getting old and/or moving shop

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

…. everything is going perfectly till half way thru then BANG and your suddenly having a bad day.
                              With using the cutting tool where it put a compression load into the bed of the lathe,
                              any slight digging of the cutter causes it to try and fold under itself, causing a break.
                              If you put the cutting tool in tension where it pulls force from the bed of the lathe,
                              any digging in of the cutter causes it to swing away and unload the cut, causing a
                              reduction in cut load. Look at your force vectors.

-Doozer
                              DZER

Comment

Working...
                              X