Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your Fears ? What process or procedure is holding you back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    ….Wow, OK. I actually enjoy threading, mind if I share a few tips?....

….As long as you had the OD correct originally....
    Many times rookies think the nominal diameter is the major diameter.
    I assure you it is not. Machinist's Handbook told me so.

-D
    DZER

Comment

Extending the ram on the mill further than usual. I'm sure it's fine, but it makes me a bit nervous. Has anyone ever heard of a turret mill tipping over because the ram was extended too far?

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

-D
        Amen. Its always a bit under -- I should have pointed that out.
        I got so used to just looking it up in a table that I don't bother any more.
        Thread depth .866P for sharp vee, with a .125 P truncated crest for the "real world"

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

-D
          I always tend to do 3 thou under for smaller nuts and then 5 thou for the larger sizes. Seems to work. I'll reference the handbook for critical or unusual threads. I don't have any pitch measuring tools so I just fit to nuts. Also seems to work.

Scraping is probably the biggest thing holding me back. I'd like to learn someday. Have the equipment to grind, shape, or mill things back to a rough shape as well. Have the room for the granite plates and inspection tools. All in due time.

I'm also terrible at knurling. I've made a few good ones, but they were more of a factor of luck. Bented has given some good advice, I just need practice.

21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
            What thinks give you fits thinking about having to try to machine..?
            Single point threading, gear cutting, setting up a dividing head , hand bringing cutter tools. Broaching, splining, knurling etc?
            what is it that prevents you from forging ahead.. ?
            I used to be afraid to part anyting on my lathe.
            The parting tool would always pull itself in snag and shatter. The reason was I had a lot of play in the cross slide screw. Since I replaced the cross slide screw and nut I've never had a problem parting.
            Nothing scares me now!

JL....

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
              Extending the ram on the mill further than usual. I'm sure it's fine, but it makes me a bit nervous. Has anyone ever heard of a turret mill tipping over because the ram was extended too far?
              Do you mean when the ram is swung to the side? Mine is not bolted down, and i always grab the motor and head casting , and give it a shake to see if its tippy., if it is, I counterweight the table.. to hold it down. .
              I at times could have pulled it over with one hand.. so I know the feeling.. so I check a lot.,

Comment

My fear isn't a process, its my eyesight. I have difficulty focusing on things that are close to me so I special glasses that focus from about 3 feet down to 1 foot. Sometimes that isn't close enough and for the past few years my eyesight has been changing rapidly, 2 or 3 visits to the eye doctor for new prescription. My plan for that is to do more with CAD and CNC because I can make the model big enough to see on the computer screen and then let the mill just do its thing.

Comment

These are the jobs that tighten my chest.....Performing the last operations on an expensive piece of material that you've already got a ton of time in. I just pushed go on this program. Clearance is clearance.....
                  https://i.imgur.com/CDk4UGW.mp4
                  https://imgur.com/CDk4UGW

That's a $2k chunk of aluminum, with about 25 hours into it so far. Last 3 ops are picking the small internal corners out with a universal head. 4.3" deep cavity, trying to blend into previous surfaces with a 1/4" ball. Fun times....Only 2 more to go.

After doing stuff like this for years, every other machining op seems easy and straight forward. But every once in a while I'll get paralyzed with fear of screwing something up and have to push through it. I just tell myself there's nothing to it but to do it, and get on with it. I honestly like working outside of my comfort zone. Its where learning and progress happens. It is stressful though.....

Comment

Originally posted by RMinMN View Post
                    My fear isn't a process, its my eyesight. I have difficulty focusing on things that are close to me so I special glasses that focus from about 3 feet down to 1 foot. Sometimes that isn't close enough and for the past few years my eyesight has been changing rapidly, 2 or 3 visits to the eye doctor for new prescription. My plan for that is to do more with CAD and CNC because I can make the model big enough to see on the computer screen and then let the mill just do its thing.
                    That I can relate to. My eyes are jacked up. Not long vision. Close up (12 feet and under).

I have to keep three sets of reading glasses in the shop because each one is diff 1 to 3 basically. And a set for TIG welding.

Not really a fear, more of a pain in the behind.

Fire is a fear for me. Residential garage and all. Four different welding processes at any one time. Fire is my fear. I have five fire extinguishers in a three car garage. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Do you mean when the ram is swung to the side?
                      Even right out the front. This is the type of mill I have. The table is pushed back almost as far as it can go in this photo. You can see the black bellows covering the ways on the knee. The table can move all the way to the end of the bellows, the bellows pop out towards the hand wheel. The blue box below the X-axis hand wheel is the motor and gearbox for the X-axis feed, so all that weight moves out with the table. The saddle is also thicker than normal because the table swings. As you can see, the ram still has more room to travel in this photo. It seems like a lot of weight hanging beyond the extent of the base when the ram and table are out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mill.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.6 KB ID:	1897994Click image for larger version  Name:	Mill2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	1897995

Mine is not bolted down, and i always grab the motor and head casting , and give it a shake to see if its tippy.
                      I've thought about doing that. Was worried that I might not be able to stop it if it starts tipping. I'd love to bolt the back down, but it's difficult in the space I have.

I at times could have pulled it over with one hand.. so I know the feeling
                      You're not making me feel any better about it
                      Last edited by pinstripe; 09-08-2020, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I don't think you are close to tippy. By shake I mean both hands ,start gently.. then increase,
                        you only have less than 1/4 of its weight barely past the base.
                        often it's workpiece on only one end of the table plus tyevram and head , way past the sides of the Base.

Comment

Lots of weight in that column. I don't think you could pull it over on yourself if you tried, even in the worst case scenario. You've got a nice flat floor, some anchors could alleviate that fear.
                          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

I don't think you are close to tippy.
                            Ok, I'll be back to complain if it ever falls over (assuming I survive). I expect they designed it not to tip over.

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                            Lots of weight in that column. I don't think you could pull it over on yourself if you tried, even in the worst case scenario. You've got a nice flat floor, some anchors could alleviate that fear.
                            The column and base are pretty thick. It's just intimidating when the weight is forward.

Comment

Penguins, they frighten me.

Comment

It starts with plugging the machines in :-(
                                I bought the Grizz. Mini lathe and mill. Few years ago and have been sort of slowly learning stuff
                                but haven’t spent as much time as I’d like

now that I’m more or less retired I have less free time :-/

sigh
                                someday
                                maybe
                                i hope
                                kinda sorta
                                the sun’ll come out tomorrow!

f

Comment

Working...
                                X