New Bridgeport ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bridgeport ?

Might be something I missed in the few machining forums I read, and it could be old news
    but today YT listed this video from Worldwide Machine tool of a NEW Bridgeport Series 1 mill -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M83UD8qOOo0
    It was posted 3 months ago, and the mill is badged Bridgeport /Hardinge,
    Guess Hardinge is manufacturing these, the manual for the mill was revised in 2018 so I assume it was
    introduced around 2010 since the copyright in the manual is for that year.
    Manual link - https://www.hardinge.com/wp-content/...ete-Manual.pdf

I'm not in the market for mill but has anyone found out what the price is ?
    Guessing it'll be in 20-30K range.
    Last edited by jcfx; 09-07-2020, 10:10 PM.

$17,500 will get you in the base model. Goes up from there:

https://www.hardinge.com/knee-mills-products/

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
      $17,500 will get you in the base model.
      -Which is interesting, as I looked (briefly) at a brand-new Bridgeport back in 2003. At the time I needed to upgrade from a worn-out mill-drill, and used machines are near-nonexistent up here. So I was looking at new- mainly through Jet and Grizzly (I eventually bought a Taiwanese-made Grizzly) but just for giggles I looked up new Bridgeport.

The price in 2003 was... $17,500.

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Sure awfully expensive for what they are. Hardinge makes that machine in Taiwan now. At one point the heads were still assembled here in the USA. So for the same price you can get two mills from Precision Matthews with 3 axis DROs, X-axis power feed already installed.
        Mike
        Central Ohio, USA

Comment

That's peanuts for some of our members, I'll have to pass, myself.

Comment

I wonder what percent is actually made in USA?
            I bet you it comes in as a kit, and they just bolt the
            head on, maybe the DRO, or some silliness like that.

-Doozer
            DZER

Comment

I bought a new one in 1969 for $2200.00, and the dealer threw in Trav-a-dials.
              “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

The American dollar was worth the most in 1968.

-D
                DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
                  Sure awfully expensive for what they are. Hardinge makes that machine in Taiwan now.
                  -It might be worth noting that that Grizzly I bought was basically a bolt-for-bolt copy of a Bridgeport. It's now been in nearly-daily use since 2003, still tight as a drum and hasn't given me a single problem.

I'd expect no less from an actual Bridgeport.

Doc.
                  Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post

-It might be worth noting that that Grizzly I bought was basically a bolt-for-bolt copy of a Bridgeport. It's now been in nearly-daily use since 2003, still tight as a drum and hasn't given me a single problem.

I'd expect no less from an actual Bridgeport.

Doc.
                    Doc,
                    Sorry honestly I'm a bit confused, I'm not sure exactly what point you were trying to make?

If I wasn't clear it wasn't my intent to infer that the BP wasn't a quality unit as I'm confident the machine is awesome. It was that you can get a quality BP clone (like yours) thats also made in Taiwan for a fraction of the money. So for the same money as the Hardinge BP you can get a nice mill and lathe.
                    Mike
                    Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
                      $17,500 will get you in the base model. Goes up from there:

https://www.hardinge.com/knee-mills-products/

Thanks for that link, I didn't delve that deep into Hardinge's site.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
                        At one point the heads were still assembled here in the USA. So for the same price you can get two mills from Precision Matthews with 3 axis DROs, X-axis power feed already installed.
                        I wonder when that was? I've got an 87' model that has "made in Singapore" on the head, I think the base was cast in Brazil and finished in the US.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I wonder if paying for a full rebuild of my 1950's era Bridgeport is better than buying a brand new Taiwan mill? People keep saying that old iron was the best.

Comment

I ran manual Bridgeports at a number of places for 25 years as a Tool & Die maker. They are a very good machine, if not worn out. If I were buying one now, I would get a new Acer e-mill for $8500. It's a better machine and half the price. A good used Acer e-mill would be fine, as well.
                            Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                              I wonder if paying for a full rebuild of my 1950's era Bridgeport is better than buying a brand new Taiwan mill? People keep saying that old iron was the best.
                              I wondered the same thing.

I was going to have my old 1967 Series 1 J-head refurbed as a retirement present to myself. It was going to cost $10,000 or better. I opted to sell it and buy a new Acer E-mill instead. Saved $2,000 plus the proceeds from selling the Bridgeport, and have a very nice machine.

I get nostalgic for my old Bridgeport, but ...

Comment

Working...
                              X