X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sarge41
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

In my experience no, a quality Taiwanese mill is every bit as good as the 50's era Bridgeports and in some ways better.
    I really like my Acer 3VK 10 x 50 mill. I bought it new in '96 and would not trade it for a nice Bridgeport. I have run new Bridgeport's and was never impressed. If I had it to do over, I would go with the Acer again.
    Sarge41

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    I wonder if paying for a full rebuild of my 1950's era Bridgeport is better than buying a brand new Taiwan mill? People keep saying that old iron was the best.
    In my experience no, a quality Taiwanese mill is every bit as good as the 50's era Bridgeports and in some ways better.

Leave a comment:

• Tim Clarke
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

I wonder when that was? I've got an 87' model that has "made in Singapore" on the head, I think the base was cast in Brazil and finished in the US.
    Me to, mine is a 1988, I think. The head wears the same tag as yours. I heard the same about the base, and at the end all they did here was final assembly and paint.

Leave a comment:

• jmarkwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    I wonder if paying for a full rebuild of my 1950's era Bridgeport is better than buying a brand new Taiwan mill? People keep saying that old iron was the best.
    I wondered the same thing.

I was going to have my old 1967 Series 1 J-head refurbed as a retirement present to myself. It was going to cost $10,000 or better. I opted to sell it and buy a new Acer E-mill instead. Saved $2,000 plus the proceeds from selling the Bridgeport, and have a very nice machine.

I get nostalgic for my old Bridgeport, but ...

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    I ran manual Bridgeports at a number of places for 25 years as a Tool & Die maker. They are a very good machine, if not worn out. If I were buying one now, I would get a new Acer e-mill for $8500. It's a better machine and half the price. A good used Acer e-mill would be fine, as well.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
    At one point the heads were still assembled here in the USA. So for the same price you can get two mills from Precision Matthews with 3 axis DROs, X-axis power feed already installed.
    I wonder when that was? I've got an 87' model that has "made in Singapore" on the head, I think the base was cast in Brazil and finished in the US.

Leave a comment:

• jcfx
    replied
    Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
    $17,500 will get you in the base model. Goes up from there:

https://www.hardinge.com/knee-mills-products/

Thanks for that link, I didn't delve that deep into Hardinge's site.

Leave a comment:

• Ohio Mike
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post

-It might be worth noting that that Grizzly I bought was basically a bolt-for-bolt copy of a Bridgeport. It's now been in nearly-daily use since 2003, still tight as a drum and hasn't given me a single problem.

I'd expect no less from an actual Bridgeport.

Doc.
    Doc,
    Sorry honestly I'm a bit confused, I'm not sure exactly what point you were trying to make?

If I wasn't clear it wasn't my intent to infer that the BP wasn't a quality unit as I'm confident the machine is awesome. It was that you can get a quality BP clone (like yours) thats also made in Taiwan for a fraction of the money. So for the same money as the Hardinge BP you can get a nice mill and lathe.

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    replied
    Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
    Sure awfully expensive for what they are. Hardinge makes that machine in Taiwan now.
    -It might be worth noting that that Grizzly I bought was basically a bolt-for-bolt copy of a Bridgeport. It's now been in nearly-daily use since 2003, still tight as a drum and hasn't given me a single problem.

I'd expect no less from an actual Bridgeport.

Doc.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    The American dollar was worth the most in 1968.

-D

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    I bought a new one in 1969 for $2200.00, and the dealer threw in Trav-a-dials.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    I wonder what percent is actually made in USA?
    I bet you it comes in as a kit, and they just bolt the
    head on, maybe the DRO, or some silliness like that.

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    That's peanuts for some of our members, I'll have to pass, myself.

Leave a comment:

• Ohio Mike
    replied
    Sure awfully expensive for what they are. Hardinge makes that machine in Taiwan now. At one point the heads were still assembled here in the USA. So for the same price you can get two mills from Precision Matthews with 3 axis DROs, X-axis power feed already installed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X