Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corbettprime
    replied
    The fires out here in Colorado are being fueled by all the beetle kill. You can look at a mountain side and it will br totally brown, except for afew green stands of spruce. The forest service will NOT allow selective logging to reduce the fire danger. So you have a 100,000 acre fire, with a perimeter of over 200 miles, that is less than 10% controlled.

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Sun here today, AQI 13. Had thunderstorms thursday night, I drove to downtown portland to try and get some shots of the lightning but I never could even tell where it was because of the haze and rain.

Leave a comment:

• DR
    replied
    Air quality in Seattle 46 now. Between the virus and smoke it was getting pretty unpleasant.

I heard a blurb on NPR radio the other day. Fire prone areas in California are receiving notices their fire insurance will not be renewed. The state has put some kind of restrictions on cancellations for a one year period though. After that who knows. Lack of fire insurance could devastate real estate values and make a good many area's properties un-salable (can't get a mortgage without fire insurance).

There's been some blame from the administration that these fires are due to the forests not being properly managed. A problem with that logic is a good portion of the fires are on federal lands.

Leave a comment:

replied
    We have had major smoke here in the Okanagan in B.C. from the fires, for about a week, finally lifting today. We are 5 hrs east of Vancouver.
    lots of lung problems for me, and indoor time.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    We had your smoke for several days here in Missouri.... The sky was solid overcast grayish for three days at least.

Leave a comment:

• tmittelstaedt
    replied
    Yes the air is much better but it's important to remember that many of the fires are not 100% contained as of yet. And even in the areas that they have burned out, and have been drenched, there are still hotspots puffing out smoke.

It is going to be a long road to recovery for people who have lost homes. Some communities are trying to get FEMA trailers in but many people just want to leave and never come back. Many are retirees who moved to these communities because they were done with the rat race in Portland. Some will take the insurance money and buy a travel trailer and leave. Then that home will likely never be rebuilt. Many others will find when the homebuilder comes around that the builder will NOT rebuild the house the way it was because the house was a 50 year old stick frame and the building plans are no longer compliant and the cost of stick frame construction will be far too high. They will either be given cash or they will end up with a modular/prefab home - it may be "better" technically but it won't ever have the quaintness or character of the prior house. But overall, when much of the community is destroyed where will the jobs be? People may get insurance they may get a rebuilt home but if the businesses are gone and are not rebuilt, where will their income come from?

Leave a comment:

• larry_g
    replied
    Today we have had rain storms come in and clear the air in most of the Willamette Valley. Right now we are at 22 which is very good.

lg
    no neat sig line

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    The numbers are hard to quantify when the news plays fast and loose with the terms. Mom said the entire county (Douglas County) was under evacuation notice. It was actually level 1warning to prepare for optional evacuation. Kind of different.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• lugnut
    replied
    Yes, lg, the numbers really don't add up. There could be 500K in all the evacuation levels, but no way 500K actually evacuated. But like every thing else the News Media get their claws into, is over stated of just plain BS. Still a sad thing is going on in our state.

Leave a comment:

• larry_g
    replied

http://oregon.envi-das.com/home/map

I've been following the above site and if you look at the history of each place you can see levels over the last few days. Some spots, such as cottage grove, have maxed out at 500 on the chart. Like any measurement system that maxes out some will make estimates on what the measurement really is. If you follow the news some stations are saying that 500,000 people have been evacuated when the truth is 500k are under notice to be evacuated. The real number under forced evacuation is nearer 40k. I'm at a level 1 notification at this time.

lg
    no neat sig line

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    There's been a slight haze for a couple of weeks now up my way. But today the weather is pulling the smoke from the US west coast around in a loop and some hills that are about 3 miles away could not be seen due to the white out.

I feel for any of you that are down closer to the fires. Stay safe all.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
    Right now, the AQ index stands at 479 for Eugene/Springfield. Seems like it was at 454 last evening, while Cottage Grove was at 601. Cottage Grove has dropped to 351tonight, It must seem like a huge relief. Even the dog is coughing after he comes inside after a trip outside to pee.
    Yeah, well. I am by nature a pessimist, problem traight of mine.

The AQMD, or AQ or any other Acronym for a Government Agency that is well under funded. Scientists working to the bone.

So given that, I have a tremendous Respect for our Metro Sci guys.

So thats all I got for now gents. JR

https://www.airnow.gov/aqi/aqi-basics/

Leave a comment:

• lugnut
    replied
    Tim Clarke, we bought a small Honeywell air purifier a year ago and we have been running it 24/7 through all this fire/ smoke event. Best $150 I have ever spent. I have COPD and the wife has only one lung. The purifier has kept the air in our house very clean and we have not smelled the smoke but very little. I ordered new filters (HEPA) for it and receive them today. We can't go outside much, but ok inside. I really feel for those that don't have some sort of filtration system.

Leave a comment:

• Tim Clarke
    replied
    Right now, the AQ index stands at 479 for Eugene/Springfield. Seems like it was at 454 last evening, while Cottage Grove was at 601. Cottage Grove has dropped to 351tonight, It must seem like a huge relief. Even the dog is coughing after he comes inside after a trip outside to pee.

Leave a comment:

• lugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by larry_g View Post

Seen on the news this am that 500,000 people are under evac notice, that is 10% of the states population and near a million acres burning most not expected to be dealt with till the fall rains come. Now emergency people are mostly dealing with evacuations and life threatening situations.

lg
    no neat sig line

My next door neighbor who works in the logging industry here in Oregon, had his new 5th wheel travel trailer and his car parked in Blue River on HWY 126 east of Eugene, and he lost both trailer and car to the fire. He showed us a photo taken by someone . All that was left of the trailer was the bare frame, and the car was just an empty shell.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X