Igaging products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Igaging products

Well I have officially had it with Igaging and their products. For many years I had a unit on my 11 inch lathe and although it had a few glitches it seemed to work ok. Then it started resetting itself. By that I mean I would set -0- and part way through the job it would just set itself to some odd number. I continued to use it but got more frustrated with it. Thinking that it's age might have something to do with it I bought the latest version, complete with scale and new reader head. I installed it and started using it. Not long after it started doing the same thing as the old one. I have contacted Igaging repeatedly with no response whatsoever. When purchased it wasn't a matter of cost but rather I didn't need a large electronic readout box and two scales like the sets that are offered out there.
    Has anyone else had similar problems with Igaging products?

I can not be of much help but memories from the distant past tell me it is important to make sure you installed it in a way where there is only one electrical connection point to earth ground. Or something along those lines. Otherwise erratic operation can result.

Since you are experiencing the same issue with the old and new unit, it sounds like the issue could be related to the physical installation.

Just a thought for consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by gbritnell View Post
      .... When purchased it wasn't a matter of cost but rather I didn't need a large electronic readout box and two scales like the sets that are offered out there...
      There are digital readouts on the market with small readout boxes and small reader scales.
      You just bought the cheapest one out there. There are many comments of the internet of
      people having problems with these. I think your expectations are not in line with the price
      that you paid.

-D
      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Henro View Post
        I can not be of much help but memories from the distant past tell me it is important to make sure you installed it in a way where there is only one electrical connection point to earth ground. Or something along those lines. Otherwise erratic operation can result.

Since you are experiencing the same issue with the old and new unit, it sounds like the issue could be related to the physical installation.

Pretty sure these are battery powered units. Like a digital caliper. Not very likely ground would be a factor.
        -D
        DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Pretty sure these are battery powered units. Like a digital caliper. Not very likely ground would be a factor.
          -D
          When my digital caliper started making strange settings a new battery solved the problem.

Comment

but hey, it does give x/128 fractions . I hadn't heard of them but they appear to be typical low cost Asian measure stuff, great if they work but have a low expectation for improved mental health
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

These are older Mititoyo Digimatic units.
              They are a good combination of quality and economy price.
              I have one of these units that I cut the scales shorter on my
              Clausing 8520 mill. The scales are the same as the Mititoyo
              caliper. Inside the read head, the circuit board even has the
              circular cut out where the watch battery would go, if it were
              to be assembled as a caliper. I have had the one on my
              Clausing mill for 20 years, and it never gets powered off.
              New these units were $800 or so. When they started
              discontinuing them, I bought 2 of them, Bridgeport mill sized,
              for $500 a piece. They are still in the box, awaiting install
              on one of my Bridgeports and my Gorton mill. Too bad they
              do not sell them new today, because they are built on the
              same exact technology as the stone reliable premium
              Mititoyo digital calipers. And just like the calipers, they
              use the capacitance field quadrature type of reader head
              that never misses a beat. By readout displays to the 1/2
              thousandth, not true tenths, but it is a mill, not a jig bore.

-Doozer

DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Henro View Post

I second this. Try wrapping a few runs of electrical tape around the ends of the scales, where the mounting bracket grips them, that way the scales are electrically isolated from the machine. They can be sensitive to electrical interference, ive had the same problem a few times

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post

I second this. Try wrapping a few runs of electrical tape around the ends of the scales, where the mounting bracket grips them, that way the scales are electrically isolated from the machine. They can be sensitive to electrical interference, ive had the same problem a few times
                  Ill second. Grounding issues are more common than not when a fault arises. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

And it is nothing to do with connection to a ground rod etc. It is a local issue.

There is a wire from a sensor to the display head. Now, the wire is intended to be the only path for signals, but if another parallel path exists through the machine frame, then currents can exist in both paths.

Some random event such as a small static shock (maybe not even noticed), or the cop keying his radio as he cruises past your place, your cell phone pinging the tower, etc, can set up a current around that closed path, and potentially induce some signal in the system. With cheaper, less protected systems, there is no telling what that resulting signal might be interpreted as.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

I'll go along with the interference angle, the wires to the reader heads are un-shielded.

I got a three axis set of the absolute models which I have been happy with, except that they consume batteries like there's no tomorrow.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

If these are scales, like digital caliper, then if the slide gets contaminate with oil it can mess things up, makes them erratic. Good quality stuff works in water and oil poor quality stuff doesn't.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

We have mentioned these before. in my view they are better than no readout, less satisfying than a more expensive unit. I have not had any jumping problems since re routing the wires away from the feeds to motors. The delay between pressing buttons and action is exasperating. Regards David Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                            I'll go along with the interference angle, the wires to the reader heads are un-shielded.

I got a three axis set of the absolute models which I have been happy with, except that they consume batteries like there's no tomorrow.
                            Powering from the AC adapter will solve the problem, open the instrument case and solder the wires from the battery contacts to do this.

Comment

One easy thing to try is to ground one side of the battery to the machine body. You would use the + side because that won't short the battery. A piece of copper foil can be pinched between the contact and the battery case as you insert the battery, and the foil will most likely be able to exit the gauge between the battery door and the case of the gauge, allowing you to make the grounding connection. I'm assuming here that no other metal part of the gauge is making this contact- if it is, you may or may not already have this grounding connection. The case of the instrument could be metal, but still not be connected internally. If it does have an internal connection, then that is your ground already.

One thing that could be causing your problem is a weak battery of course. Things like one of my multimeters for example tend to give erroneous numbers when the battery is weak. Those coin cells can go high resistance, especially if they are cheap crap, and that can drop the voltage under load, even if a meter shows a good voltage on the cell. A reasonable test can be done with a while led- if it comes to a steady brightness when put across the coin cell, that's one thing. If it momentarily is bright, but then settles to a much lower brightness, the cell is suspect.
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X