how to greatly improve craigslist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CL works great as is.

If something is not selling quickly and is relisted over and over and it bothers you, don't look at CL.

I sell odd, heavy things on CL, in a sparely populated area.
    Sometimes it takes months or longer to find a buyer before it sells. And it isn't overpriced!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
      So, wouldn't charging a fee just drive people to other now more popular venues where there is no fee.... like Facebook Marketplace or any of millions of local exchange groups on Facebook.
      Maybe, but some of us hate FB. More and more do as time goes on. Any more it seems to be just for grandma to keep up with the scattered G-children and their activities.

I had to have a FB page for totally other reasons, but I never do diddly with it and may close it pretty soon, as I think no longer need to have it. There just had to be one, I did not have to be reachable on it, etc. The last thing I want to do is spend (waste) time on that collection of the dumbest on the planet.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by cijuanni View Post
        CL works great as is.

If something is not selling quickly and is relisted over and over and it bothers you, don't look at CL.

I sell odd, heavy things on CL, in a sparely populated area.
        Sometimes it takes months or longer to find a buyer before it sells. And it isn't overpriced!
        Agree 100%. I treat craiglist just like it was the classifieds, or the yard sale ads. If I'm interested, I'll make arrangements to show up with cash.

Comment

It's funny how people always want to change a web site to meet THEIR needs and desires, without regard for the owner of the site and what HIS needs / desires are. The owner of craigslist wants it just the way it is. He's made enough money to live well forever. He does not have to do much of anything except make occasional executive decisions. It's that easy.

I once made a program FOR MY OWN USE to allow my Linux PC to control the lights VIA the X10 protocol. When it reached the point where it did just what I wanted, I released it to the public for free. When it reached the point where a few thousand people were using it on half a dozen POSIX based operating systems I froze the code simply because it did ME no good to make future changes for different hardware and capabilities. It was a very unpopular move because hundreds of people wanted it changed to their way of doing things. To mollify the crowds I chose the most vocal objector and recruited him as the new maintainer of the code. Served him right.

In short, it's easier to use systems when you use them as designed and stop worrying about making sites like craigslist into a site like ebay.

Dan

At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
            It's funny how people always want to change a web site to meet THEIR needs and desires, without regard for the owner of the site and what HIS needs / desires are.
            .................................................. ..........................................
            In short, it's easier to use systems when you use them as designed and stop worrying about making sites like craigslist into a site like ebay.

Dan
            Agreed, and Amen. I use eBay a LOT, that's the only way I was able to afford anything. Let alone the shop I have now.
            I always use the "buy it now" and I don't bid on anything. I pay attention to the shipping.
            eBay offers that option which is cool because that's how I like to do things.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
              With all the yuppies buying up vises, and even Abom79 recently showing a ridiculous fetish towards vises, it's the one tool most sorely missing in my shop. All the boomers are also buying up all the old balsa model airplane kits, driving the prices sky high. Before that, it was post war Lionel toy trains. Lionel trains are worth garbage once again, and as soon as all these silly people stop buying balsa r/c airplane kits and vises, I'll go look for one.
              Exactly. And why should someone post a vise for $30 when they could get hundreds? I sold a 5" machinist's Wilton Bullet recently for dad. It was pretty beat but usable. Asked $350. That's way more than I'd ever pay, as neither of us like bullet style vises, we'd rather have a larger conventional square ram vise.

Some guy half way across the country payed the $350, +$50 to crate it +$120 to ship it. Insane if you asked me. But who am I to stop him? Drives me ****ing nuts to see them on shelf collecting dust, but $350 buys a lot of other shop goodies.

The market for tools is insane right now. I sold other a bunch of stuff for prices I'd laugh at and consider myself the asshole for even listing it at that, but I'd wake up with 10+ messages the next morning. So yeah. I'm gonna start high. It's actually less annoyance. The absolute worst "sales" I've had were stuff I've given away for free. People will knock your door down for $5 of scrap metal. I don't get it.

Somethings will sit for a month and then someone will give you what you ask, no haggling at all. I would be a bit quicker on price reductions with listing fees but I'm not against the idea. There are definitely those items at ludicrous prices that will never sell, or guys just listing their junk in every section possible. The worse offenders are dealers posting as "by owner".
              21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
              1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                With all the yuppies buying up vises, and even Abom79 recently showing a ridiculous fetish towards vises, it's the one tool most sorely missing in my shop. All the boomers are also buying up all the old balsa model airplane kits, driving the prices sky high. Before that, it was post war Lionel toy trains. Lionel trains are worth garbage once again, and as soon as all these silly people stop buying balsa r/c airplane kits and vises, I'll go look for one.
                This is funny. I do not quite get the vice thing either. I see some guys posting vice restorations on other social media platforms. One guy does these overhauls on old vices and the guy is indeed a talented machinist and welder, and does beautiful work. But you end up with a vice that you really could not use without ruining all that shininess. I know using it is not the point, and I could see someone making one as a showpiece for a business office or something. I find it hilarious that everyone seems to be SO enamored with them all of a sudden. It's an odd thing to become a fad in my eyes.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread, I had a little micro drill press thing I built years ago out of a dremel and one of those cheap stands you put an electric hand drill into. I made it for drilling circuit boards and it worked pretty well for that. I no longer had need for it. I'd have given it to someone who could use it but I posted on CL for 10 bucks, just to weed out the non-serious. The photo I used had it sitting on my welding table, and my big old vice was visible in the background. I got two or three inquiries asking if I wanted to sell the vice.

I like my weird old vice. It has a t-slot the length of the bottom so it swivels and slides in lots of handy ways. I use it constantly. I paid 60 bucks for it a few years ago from a CL ad.. I should have asked what they would offer for it. Not that I would sell it, but just to see.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Somethings will sit for a month and then someone will give you what you ask, no haggling at all..
                  That's my target market. Probably most of us are bargain hunters, heart rate goes up at the wiff of a hot deal whether we woke up needing it or not - they are low price induced sales. That's how I buy. When i sell, I'm after the guy who did wake up needed one. Mine is such a discount from what the dealer wants he as happy as can be. If there's a flood of emails when you post, you posted it too low......remember buy low sell high lol.
                  Last edited by Mcgyver; 09-13-2020, 07:35 AM.
                  in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

That's my target market. Probably most of us are bargain hunters, heart rate goes up at the wiff of a hot deal whether we woke up needing it or not - they are low price induced sales. That's how I buy. When i sell, I'm after the guy who did wake up needed one. Mine is such a discount from what the dealer wants he as happy as can be. If there's a flood of emails when you post, you posted it too low......remember buy low sell high lol.
                    Bargain hunting... hmm. I’ll have to give that a try sometime.

Selling at a fair market value is great, but the problem I run into is that there can very different ideas of what fair market value is. EBay tends to inflate prices and when people use that to fix their selling price it can be hard to talk them down from that inflated price. I can remember discussing price with one fellow who though his lathe was worth thousands of dollars, when in fact it was a very uncommon make that very few people would have a use for. I think I offered about 4 x scrap value, but he decided he would rather scrap it than sell to someone like me. To each their own...

Kijiji is much better than Craigslist, but I’ve used both with success. I prefer EBay however, people are prepared to ship and you can still make some good deals if you’re willing to open a conversation with the seller.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Maybe, but some of us hate FB. More and more do as time goes on. Any more it seems to be just for grandma to keep up with the scattered G-children and their activities.

I had to have a FB page for totally other reasons, but I never do diddly with it and may close it pretty soon, as I think no longer need to have it. There just had to be one, I did not have to be reachable on it, etc. The last thing I want to do is spend (waste) time on that collection of the dumbest on the planet.
                      Im with you on this one in fact due to being totally free there is more than just shoddy written adds on FB-MP --- in many cases there is no interest in selling what they have advertised - like pulling teeth just trying to ask a few questions, (that's if you find an add written in english)

CL just started charging 5 bucks a copy for auto adds, not much but it totally changes the dynamics when someone has a "little skin in the game" all for it...

Comment

So vises have gone where anvils went, huh?

Comment

Sellers may be looking for a sucker, as a buyer I only look for serious sellers.
                          When I sell something, I'll be honest. I hate the entire process, don't want to be bothered by it, I hate the "game". I'll price something to sell quickly, or even given stuff away for free on this forum. If I have something of value, I will obviously try to get what it's worth. When it becomes clear I won't, I'll sooner give it away for free to a forum member here than sell at a bargain price to the Ferengi where I live.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_095613.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	1899044
                          Last edited by RB211; 09-13-2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                            Selling at a fair market value is great, but the problem I run into is that there can very different ideas of what fair market value is..
                            While it is an inexact thing, my view is very few take a rational approach to valuing an item. Stupid or lazy, who knows....they price based on what they "feel" its worth, or even worse, what is "fair" without ever looking at comparable sales. A small percent of said dart throwing idjits end up well below market while most are well over. Life's to short for discourse with that type, i.e. presenting your case. So I buy from the former and ignore the later.

Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                            Kijiji is much better than Craigslist, but I’ve used both with success.
                            Other than a really poor interface, which I can live with, the main failing of CL imo is its big structural flaw - when you renew an ad, you double the number of ads in your account. It creates an new active ad and leaves the old expired one there ('there' in the sense of it appearing on your account list, not as a displaying ad). you can't delete it. If you're trying to sell 10 esoteric things that can take months, in short order the list or your of ads, whats active, what needs to renewed etc becomes a complete CF. Its dysfunctional if you're trying to sell more than a few items. With an leader who doesn't seem to give a crap, and new big cap entrants, my prediction is it be another dodo bird five years if they don't wake up. Academic for me, I just did a search for "lathe" in toronto. kijiji: 231. CL: 5
                            Last edited by Mcgyver; 09-13-2020, 11:37 AM.
                            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

My problem with FB marketplace, is that you have to have an account to contact the seller (oh, you can LOOK, but no contacting). I refuse to even touch FB. I have nothing to say to the world in general and they have nothing I want to hear.

A while back, ebay purchased Craigslist (I don't know if they still own it).

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                                . Academic for me, I just did a search for "lathe" in toronto. kijiji: 231. CL: 5
                                They must have all sold . I looked at kijiji toranto for lathe and got 52 for sale. Craigslist for SF bay area had 84.

But yes, it's academic.

Dan
                                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X