I guess I just like improving toys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I just like improving toys...

The cheap 3018 router is pretty cool for the price but I just can't help myself! The cylindrical rods that were meant for a 3D printer on the X axis just weren't up to the task except for the lightest of cuts. They just begged for linear rails! Might as well do the Z as well.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Zprogress.PNG Views:	0 Size:	138.9 KB ID:	1899093
    The Z needed further hashing out, so did that today...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Zprogress2.PNG Views:	0 Size:	85.5 KB ID:	1899094
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Zprogress3.PNG Views:	0 Size:	91.9 KB ID:	1899095

And to show that I actually do use my machine tools, here's the real deal so far...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_222742.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	1899096Click image for larger version

Name:	20200912_164546.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	1899097

Does it have a plastic frame?
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
      Does it have a plastic frame?
      Uprights are Bakelite, that will be addressed. Just doing incremental upgrades, won't stop until I can mill steel on it.

Comment

That looks really good, RB211!
        Kansas City area

Comment

Fasten a piece of steel sheet across the back side of those linear rails- that will add rigidity for little cost or added weight. As a bonus the sheet can be extended upwards and bent over to form a dust cover for the slides.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
            Fasten a piece of steel sheet across the back side of those linear rails- that will add rigidity for little cost or added weight. As a bonus the sheet can be extended upwards and bent over to form a dust cover for the slides.
            That's actually a great Idea.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
              Yes, going to bolt a piece of steel to the back, maybe even fill it with granite epoxy.

Comment

Working...
              X