Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does one mill a 60" radius without a really huge rotary table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post

What you have labeled as 2.00 is 15.00 long, and what you have as 0.5 is 2.00 wide, and 0.5 thickness is in the axis away from you.
    So it is just a segment of a ring. What are the tolerances?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I did not remember seeing the tolerance for this small 60in disc.

It really is difficult to turn that.
      \
      I cant see a work around. JR

Edit: I can turn a 60 inch round if needed. Seven inch thick ans 72 inches is my local.

If you need bigger blanks let me know. 4200psi small banking presses. Oh? Hydro presses? hahaa JR
      Last edited by JRouche; 09-14-2020, 03:17 AM.
      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

He says 60.00" and 62.00", so I assume the radius has to be correct to within 0.005". That's a lot to ask for with wooden jigs. Sounds like a part for a CNC shop to make.

Comment

Jeez do you guys even Read the simple solutions on here ? Or are you unable to absorb a simple technical discussion ?

don't like a wood jig for 2 hrs use ? Fine build it out of metal..
          ? Tolerances ? .l sounds to me the radius will likely be set with a measuring tape.... how's that for setting tight tolerance ?
          GEEZ...just make 17 dollar wood pivot, you could be done already. . Just rough the blank on a band saw first..

Make CHIPS... not Looooooooòoonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg forum THREADS.......
          Last edited by 754; 09-14-2020, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Sounds a lot like a 2” bar run through some bending rolls to me
            But then we don’t know it’s actual end use (unless I missed that)

Dave
            Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

Originally posted by small.planes View Post
              Sounds a lot like a 2” bar run through some bending rolls to me
              But then we don’t know it’s actual end use (unless I missed that)

Dave
              Yeah , cus like big rolls are easier to find than a few pieces of wood and a mill or a table saw.
              it could probably be done with a skilsaw and wood swing bracket.. or a router on a string, or bar..

make chips, not long forum threads.l
              Last edited by 754; 09-14-2020, 05:31 PM.

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me how many people jump in to "answer" a question that haven't, either read the question or don't understand the terminology used.
                ...lew...

Comment

Maybe you could figure out a way to set the radius from the spindle center to the riser center and swing the head around ?

Comment

I'm getting the impression that the phrasing of the problem (especially significant digits) makes reading/understanding it literally would be a waste of time.

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                    It never ceases to amaze me how many people jump in to "answer" a question that haven't, either read the question or don't understand the terminology used.
                    ...lew...

Comment

. As I said earlier there are many ways to make arcs in a conventional mill. Such work was done long before CNC and putting Holes on
                      the end of the work piece allows the part to move ( as shown by Jerry ) in some complicated configurations .
                      Here is a sketch for another method that can be very accurate in arc generation. The colored link pivots on the mill quill and the rigid extension which is fastened
                      to the mill table . This setup makes errors almost impossible as the link could have a turnbuckle to make arc length adjustments
                      Skilled machinists would use depth mikes , exact chord length and balls (with trig) to determine accuracy of the arc.
                      In this method, both X and Y handles are turned to follow the curve exactly .
                      For example, if you move the X table , it will lock until Y handle moves .001 , so both are coordinated
                      Hope this helps.
                      Have seen other being used in job shops, but it gets complicated ( Cam Work)
                      Rich
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Mill Setup JPEG.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1899411
                      Green Bay, WI

Comment

Guys it's 60 inch radius ... not 16 inches... that 5 FEET for those that can't do Math in their head...

Comment

Maybe I'm under complicating it, but couldn't one lay it out with a large beam compass, rough in the bandsaw, sand close and finish with a file? That would be my approach most likely, but maybe that's why I don't have the job haha.
                          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                            Jeez do you guys even Read the simple solutions on here ? Or are you unable to absorb a simple technical discussion ?

don't like a wood jig for 2 hrs use ? Fine build it out of metal..
                            ? Tolerances ? .l sounds to me the radius will likely be set with a measuring tape.... how's that for setting tight tolerance ?
                            GEEZ...just make 17 dollar wood pivot, you could be done already. . Just rough the blank on a band saw first..

Make CHIPS... not Looooooooòoonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg forum THREADS.......
                            How would you produce the wooden pattern =/-.002?

Same problem as making the part. Just producing the layout lines is half the battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxie View Post

Sounds like a good part to have laser cut (or water jet)
                              Does that imply a numerical control on the laser/waterjet? The OP mentioned WITHOUT CNC! This could be best sumerized as "farm it out" but where is the pleasure in that?

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                                I did not remember seeing the tolerance for this small 60in disc.

It really is difficult to turn that.
                                \
                                I cant see a work around. JR

Edit: I can turn a 60 inch round if needed. Seven inch thick ans 72 inches is my local.

If you need bigger blanks let me know. 4200psi small banking presses. Oh? Hydro presses? hahaa JR
                                It's a 120 inch round Ten feet. Even big for a vertical lathe.

Comment

Working...
                                X