Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There A Special Name For These Snap Rings ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There A Special Name For These Snap Rings ???

I want to remove these snap rings. One pin has a cracked spring washer. I've made several attempts to try and remove them with what I assume is the proper tool. I have a couple pair of external snap ring pliers as shown. I've used them before to remove snap rings in automatic transmissions with out any issues, but these are a bitch.

I just can't get a grip on the ends of these rings with them. The ring starts to spread and then pops off the tip of the tool. They are pretty stiff rings too.

I know I can destroy them taking them off but I can't find any rings like them. Is there a special name for them?? Think they specially made just for this tool??
    Is there a special tool that I'm unaware of that is used to remove them??

JL.................

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200914-173905.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	1899369

They look like they might be Spirolox.

https://www.smalley.com/

I have been struggling to find a place where I can buy just the one I need (~2" OD, < 1 mm thick), not a box of 100. If you find a source, please let us know! (I had to destroy the one I removed, but they likely do have a special tool to avoid that.)
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

It's not a spiral ring. I've seen those before and they aren't too bad to remove.

JL.................

Comment

A spiral ring will be a lot easier to install or remove than the constant thickness snap ring. Matching the thickness and ID are what is important.

Comment

Look like Eaton

Comment

truarc might be the name
            I cut it off twice; it's still too short
            Oregon, USA

Comment

I use a tool from Knipex to remove those and worse. Looks like your tool but has external grippers on the hardened steel end. Endless frustration with the usual tools.

this : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
              Last edited by lakeside53; 09-14-2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                I use a tool from Knipex to remove those and worse. Looks like your tool but has external grippers on the hardened steel end. Endless frustration with the usual tools.

this : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                Looks like the same kind of tool as what I have two of. I think the real problem is the say the ends of the ring are finished or cut. If there were cut back towards the ID then there would be somewhat of a sharp edge to catch in the knurling of the tips of the tools. The end of these rings aren't finished that way. That's why the pliers won't grip.

JL............

Comment

You might be surprised to find that all tools are not equal

These have sharp "grippers" for that reason. I have several "similar"; only these actually worked for me on my damn Mazda truck CV joints. Of course, the are spendy like everything from Knipex.

Comment

Hey Joe. I like those pliers you have. I have a craftsman set that has very small but strong tips that get in there. Whats nice is they are reversible. Meaning you can "spread" the tips by closing or opening the handles.

Made for the rings with holes in them but could get in there and pop them.

I wonder if those rings were not meant to be reused? Dunno. JR

Name:	snap ring ply.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	1899398
                    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

To me they look like SEEGAR snap rings. Popular on German equipment and they are a bear to use without the special SEEGAR snap ring pliers. The German made production equipment that I worked on were full of them.

Comment

Those are either SLC or SHC retaining rings. SLC rings (S "L" C - L for light) are slightly smaller in section width than SHC rings (S "H" C - H for heavy). They can be a pain for sure. I would suggest either grinding the angles where the ends meet on the ring a bit to help your pliers get a grip or figuring out a way to sharpen the gripping serrations on your pliers.
                        Last edited by eKretz; 09-14-2020, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Take a Dremel tool with a cut wheel and shape the clip end with a bit of back cut. Careful work, but you only need to do it once.

Those expanding pliers are the correct tool, Dab the contact spots with some Clover grinding paste to help with slipping off.

Comment

Is There A Special Name For These Snap Rings ???

There is, but this forum doesn't allow such language!
                            Southwest Utah

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                              Hey Joe. I like those pliers you have. I have a craftsman set that has very small but strong tips that get in there. Whats nice is they are reversible. Meaning you can "spread" the tips by closing or opening the handles.

Made for the rings with holes in them but could get in there and pop them.

I wonder if those rings were not meant to be reused? Dunno. JR

Name:	snap ring ply.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	1899398
                              Hey JR, I have a few pair of the internal and external snap ring pliers like you show.
                              I already tried them and no luck. The round pins just don't grip. This is a tough ring. Lot of pressure require to expand it enough to slip out of the groove.

JL.................

Comment

Working...
                              X