Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There A Special Name For These Snap Rings ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    I can't open the clip up enough before it slips off the tip of the pliers to get anything between it and the pin. I don't want to grind my good tools and I don't have a junk pair.
    I have several junk needle nose pliers but they work in the opposite direction.

JL..............
    Grind them to fit the ring with some back bite/taper, and use 2 hands to open them....

Comment

By design I would say not intended to be removed and reused.
      I would torch them, TIG them, grind them etc. but as I mentioned in a previous post these clips were custom made. No one has anything close. I found that out today.
      The company changed the design and parts are ot available any more.

JL...............
      Is it possible to use two thinner conventional style snap rings instead of the one thicker and unavailable snap ring? I'm sure there isn't a enough of axial force on the snap rings to warrant the one large snap ring. A wavy spring washer could take up any slight excess clearance if the stock one was not up to the task already.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post

Is it possible to use two thinner conventional style snap rings instead of the one thicker and unavailable snap ring? I'm sure there isn't a enough of axial force on the snap rings to warrant the one large snap ring. A wavy spring washer could take up any slight excess clearance if the stock one was not up to the task already.
        When I was talking to the tech at Smally this morning he suggested using two spirolox rings that were .040 thickness but then said that the ID for that ring would be too big for the groove dia. He said everything I have here is a custom oddball size.

Nicopress at one time did sell replacement rings, they came with the pin but they are no longer available as they changed the design and went to a nut and special bolt.

JL...............

Comment

Well that pretty well seals the deal then doesn't it?
          You're probably getting tired of all the ambiguous and frivolous suggestions....so I'll add another. Hey at least you can't say you haven't received enough feedback to what was initially a simple question.

Make a set of completely new pins with standard dimensions for easily obtainable snap rings.
          Hey I know it's a little over the top but for the time and effort already expended by the collective here they would have been done yesterday afternoon. I have confidence in you Joe and know you are up to the task!
          Who said being a home shop machinist had anything to do with practicality?
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Hey Joe. Was working in the garage today and saw a wedge tool that might spread the ends to get something else in there

Just keep turning the screw, something has gotta give. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	nut crack.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	1899643
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
              Well that pretty well seals the deal then doesn't it?
              You're probably getting tired of all the ambiguous and frivolous suggestions....so I'll add another. Hey at least you can't say you haven't received enough feedback to what was initially a simple question.

Make a set of completely new pins with standard dimensions for easily obtainable snap rings.
              Hey I know it's a little over the top but for the time and effort already expended by the collective here they would have been done yesterday afternoon. I have confidence in you Joe and know you are up to the task!
              Who said being a home shop machinist had anything to do with practicality?
              Well, pretty much.............. I'm not tired of all the suggestions and comments, everyone has been helpful. It's just that unless you have this tool in your hand and have tried a few different methods without success you'll know what isn't going to work.

Yes, your suggestion of making a new set of pins and using a standard off the shelf clip is the way to go, and that's what I would probably would end up doing.

However, the company sent me these bolts and nuts since the pin and clips are no longer available. I don't know when they changed the design but in my opinion they should have used the nut and bolt in the first place. I can't figure out why any company would design something like this and have to have custom size clips made is beyond me.
              I'm sure this design change came about due to cost cutting measures as well as customer repairs and complaints.

JL...................

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20200916-161953.jpg Views:	1 Size:	220.0 KB ID:	1899755

Comment

However, the company sent me these bolts and nuts since the pin and clips are no longer available. I don't know when they changed the design but in my opinion they should have used the nut and bolt in the first place.

JL...................

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-20200916-161953.jpg Views:	1 Size:	220.0 KB ID:	1899755
                Years ago (30) I saw these jaws at the local Swaparoo and bought them intending to make some universal keys. You can see that didnt pan out.

I wonder what Ridgid used for them? Probably bolts and nuts to change out clapped out jaws. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt cut blade.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	1899801

Comment

Bolt cutter jaws.

JL.................

Comment

Bolt cutter jaws.

JL.................
                    No, the are Ridgid Universal Keys for pad locks. JR

Comment

DOES THE CRACKED WASHER ACTUALLY HURT ANYTHING????

-Doozer
                      DZER

Comment

So are you replacing one..or both ?

Comment

Bolt cutter jaws.

JL.................
                          I dont know about that, dont get carried away

I have seen them thin wrenching surface bolts before.

You have to keep the socket flat, flat on the wrenching end or you will slip off and bugger the corners. You do that in my shop you are fired.

They are so thin a Auto type socket is what you never use on them. The auto sockets have champfers to help guild the socket on the nut or wrenching side.

The thin wrenching side needs a nice flat wrench and I sanded a wrench on the sander to get it flat on one side. They dont come that way.

Get nice and close, hug the tool and air or electrict ratchet the nylock down.

Problem? Clearance, Clarence. Thats a shoulder bolt? Dunno, can see on this puter. JR

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                            DOES THE CRACKED WASHER ACTUALLY HURT ANYTHING????

-Doozer
                            No, I don't think it is hurting anything. There might be some slight side movement of the jaw under crimp pressure because of it, but I can't see where it would hurt the crimp.

JL...............

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                              So are you replacing one..or both ?
                              Both. Originally I wanted to take this apart to replace the one washer and to clean under the plate etc.

JL.................

Comment

Yeah stuff like that, I usually grind a socket and take the chamfer off it..

Comment

Working...
                                X