[OT] Tractor safety video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [OT] Tractor safety video

I was browsing through my Quora feed and came across one question about why a tractor's rear wheels are much larger than those in front. The short answer is that for safety purposes one must hitch implements or towing chains below the rear axle to avoid flip-over, which can happen very quickly. Here is a video that was presented, explaining this and other precautions. This is probably at least somewhat on topic, as most of use use tractors of various sizes, and most safety precautions apply to all:

Link to the answer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2020-09-15 (1) Quora.png Views:	0 Size:	185.8 KB ID:	1899591
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 09-15-2020, 06:01 PM.
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Years ago I had a co-worker killed while loading a tractor on to a trailer. I myself tipped a small backhoe that I had rented on to it's side. When I bought my tractor back in '04 I told the dealer I want the rear wheels flipped as wide as possible just to be safe. Even being cautious I've felt the effect of the swinging implement when turning and my place is mostly a gentle slope. I've got a loader on mine and like operating a forklift, you need to keep the load as low as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
      I was browsing through my Quora feed and came across one question about why a tractor's rear wheels are much larger than those in front. The short answer is that for safety purposes one must hitch implements or towing chains below the rear axle to avoid flip-over, which can happen very quickly..........
      No. That's absolutely NOT the reason tractors have large rear wheels. It's all to do with traction and compaction of the soil.

Comment

The large wheels are why you need to pull from below the axle, because they provide a nice long lever for the torque to work against. Below the axle the moments cancel each other out, above the axle they both work to lift the front of the tractor. Thank Ferguson for the development and implementation of the 3-point hitch, which both keeps any real implements safe by preventing flipping and brings those large rear wheels into action by putting the force back onto them.

Comment

Not all tractors have smaller front wheels either.
          https://www.williamsbigbud.com/about-us/

Comment

When I lived a more rural life I had a skid steer loader. The engine, and pretty much the center of gravity is directly over the rear wheels if you don't have a bucket in front with a load in it. You MUST go in backwards if going up any kind of hill, or it is sure to do a back flip. I did not find this out the hard way, I read the manual, but I sure could feel where the tipping point was...
            "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
              Not all tractors have smaller front wheels either.
              https://www.williamsbigbud.com/about-us/
              Or wheels at all....

Comment

I noticed in the video that none of those tractors had any front ballast. The way they were bouncing leads me to believe there's nothing in the rear tires either. Didn't see any added iron rear wheel weights. No extra weight in the back further increases your chance of going on a sled ride down a hill.

It also helps when pulling to not use the draft links of the three point hitch, even though they mount below the axle, but use the draw bar. On most machines its swinging draw bar pivot point is not only below the axle but well in front of it too, much more so than the draft links. This forward attach point helps give a downward force in front of the axle when pulling force is applied.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post

No. That's absolutely NOT the reason tractors have large rear wheels. It's all to do with traction and compaction of the soil.
                  I agree. Who came up with that ?????????
                  DZER

Comment

I am waiting for a pic of Tundras Tractors...

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                      I am waiting for a pic of Tundras Tractors...
                      Here you go Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3273.PNG
Views:	264
Size:	4.94 MB
ID:	1899656

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

Here you go
                        Somehow I don't think you are going to flip that over by taking a corner too quickly.

Comment

There is a beneficial anti-tipback effect to having larger wheels, but I'm pretty sure that Arcane's reasons are dominant.

Comment

The "Sub-Compact" tractors are death traps looking for a farmer wannabe. They're lawn mowers with tractor looking tires. Owners hang loaders and even backhoes off these little lawn mowers. I've seen a lot of tractor videos of sub-compact owners hauling a bucket load of whatever and 5-600 pounds of counter weight hanging off the back. All the while bouncing back and forth and side to side with the ROPS folded down. Eventually, I guess natural selection will take over.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                              The "Sub-Compact" tractors are death traps looking for a farmer wannabe. They're lawn mowers with tractor looking tires. Owners hang loaders and even backhoes off these little lawn mowers. I've seen a lot of tractor videos of sub-compact owners hauling a bucket load of whatever and 5-600 pounds of counter weight hanging off the back. All the while bouncing back and forth and side to side with the ROPS folded down. Eventually, I guess natural selection will take over.
                              The Kubota BX series are nuts and really small, just as you describe.
                              The Kubota B series are not much better.
                              A few years ago, I bought a New Holland TC33D, which is kinda like the Kubota L series.
                              It is pretty good size for me, but it wish it was the 40hp size frame, witch is just a bit heavier
                              and I think is about perfect for estate tasks.
                              I have 5 acres, which partially woods and a big field. I been cutting a lot of dead and leaning
                              trees down, and that 5 foot wide bucket has been a life saver. I do need to get some wheel
                              weights. Going to draw them in Cad and get them cut out on a burn table.
                              But you are right, lots of these Johnny homeowner tractors are just a bigger dick competition
                              with the neighbors. Me, I can't even see my neighbors. And I am sooo well adjusted that I
                              don't care to compete with others. LOL LOL LOL.

-Doozer
                              DZER

Comment

Working...
                              X