No announcement yet.

[OT] Tractor safety video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BX25 owner here with just under 1000 hours on it, great machine but like anything you have to use your head when operating it.
    I wish it had bigger back wheels but everything has a compromise eh?
    Cheers,
    Jon

Comment

The sub-compacts have a place, but there are also some pretty big differences in subcompacts. I used a Kioti CK-series with a backhoe attachment to dig out my foundation and install a membrane. Wasn't necessarily the best tool for the job, but it was free access and it worked. It's a great tractor for a property in the 2-5 acre range. I've also used a JD that was a glorified lawn tractor with hydraulics. The JD didn't have enough weight to make use of the loader and with the belly mower it had miserable ground clearance. Fine machine if you're cutting flat lawn all day, but outside of that it was a shiny turd.

I think that the issue is that operators forget how lightweight a sub-compact is. The Kioti with the backhoe isn't super stable at speed, so don't try to whip around corners. I can't count the number of times I had to get my brother out of a ditch because he would try to run a bush cutter behind the JD by backing right up to a ditch and popping the PTO on. Next thing you know the back end has kicked out and you're in the ditch. My brother is intelligent but not always smart... Kioti has a better design with a proper clutch on the PTO so you can let the implement come up to speed smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

Here you go Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3273.PNG
Views:	265
Size:	4.94 MB
ID:	1899656
        We wanted to see your full size tractors not your little garden tractor.....come on show us!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I always leave the scraper blade on my 8N when pulling logs or other pulling tasks to prevent it from doing a back flip.
          Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Originally posted by flathead4 View Post
            I always leave the scraper blade on my 8N when pulling logs or other pulling tasks to prevent it from doing a back flip.
            The 3 point hitch has no downforce. How is that going to help you?

-D
            DZER

Comment

It's still limited in how high it will go up. Depending on the geometry of the blade it can be effective. BTDT by accident packing down silage.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

Here you go Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3273.PNG
Views:	265
Size:	4.94 MB
ID:	1899656
                You know, if you bought a Quadtrac it would match your harrow

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post
                  BX25 owner here with just under 1000 hours on it, great machine but like anything you have to use your head when operating it.
                  I wish it had bigger back wheels but everything has a compromise eh?
                  Cheers,
                  Jon
                  Same here. I have a BX it came with the loader, no backhoe. My property is very small and I have no lawn to mow. I use it just for the loader and with pallet forks and have done a ton of work with in the short time I have had it. You just have to make sure you use it within it's capabilities and it does just fine. Just like any other tool. A much larger machine would be useless in the space I have because it would just be too hard to maneuver with.

Comment

Suppose the 3 point might be some sort of “sissy bar” (uncertain of correct term) like on a drag bike.
                    wales is hilly farmland, tractors kill with remarkably similar circumstances around here, turning on a hill seems no 1, but I’d rather be killed by a Massey furgeson aka furgy than no 2 killer, slurry pits, nasty
                    mark

Comment

I once had a Massey 44. It had an amazing low gear, and I had the whole tractor almost vertical a couple of times, trying to pull stumps. It happens so quickly, when it happens, that you hardly have any time to react to it. My good fortune was that I had been warned that they were man killers, so I was wary of it. I was never a farmer, but it was one of those "exceptionally good deals" that you have to buy it even if you're not sure why. I bought it with a snow blade on it, and had some thoughts of using it to clear my driveway in the winter. I only kept it for one winter and then sold it.
                      Brian Rupnow
                      Design engineer
                      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

After reading the discussion, I agree that large rear wheels are mostly for traction and being able to ride over ruts, rocks, branches, roots, and other debris that would otherwise present an insurmountable impediment to movement. It may just be a fortunate coincidence that this allows for easier connection of implements and towing cables to the safer point below the rear axle.
                        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                          Suppose the 3 point might be some sort of “sissy bar” (uncertain of correct term) like on a drag bike.
                          You're thinking of a wheelie bar, Mark. Sissy bars are found behind the seat on Hardly Ableson choppers ridden by aging poseurs.

EDIT: Wheelie bars on drag bikes are ridden by people who are certainly *not* poseurs. Drag bikes are downright scary!

-js
                          Last edited by Jim Stewart; 09-16-2020, 09:09 PM.
                          There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                            .........large rear wheels are mostly for traction...........
                            It is, after all, a "tractor". The wheel/tire size is the major factor in being able to get the engine power connected to the ground. Look at the size of those boots on "Tundra's" machine. Close to 500 engine horsepower can translate into over 50k lbs of pull at the drawbar on that donkey. That requires eight tires to share the load. And note that in order to prevent that thing from just sitting there spinning its wheels, there's additional weights added to each wheel. Impressive machine. (glad I don't have to feed it 🙂)

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

We wanted to see your full size tractors not your little garden tractor.....come on show us!
                              Sorry BF that's the largest one on the farm,there's a 18' quick attach 6 way Blade that works good for clearing snow in Grain Bin Yard.The little Track machine is for pulling Air Seeder mostly.
                              Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

You know, if you bought a Quadtrac it would match your harrow
                              The Quadtrac is a amazing Tractor,they will go threw a lot of Wet Ground which we've seen way too much of the last 4 years Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3278.PNG
Views:	72
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	1899817

Comment

This turned out to be a incredible success story as my freind survived this Tractor accident and is nearly completely healed after 4 months.This happened on a flat gravel road traveling at 45 km when Bucket detached and drove over bucket.When rear wheels climbed over bucket loader dug into road and tractor endoed forward,not wearing a seatbelt saved his life. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3276.PNG
Views:	94
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	1899823

Comment

Working...
                                X