Slocomb mikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slocomb mikes

The other day I bought a Kennedy box with a small selection of tools and assorted doo dads. Included were two micrometers, 4"- 5" and 5"- 6". Both were made by the J.T. Slocomb co. of Providence Ri. Has anyone had experience with their mikes? Good, bad or ugly?
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

I've had a few and thought they were good and I haven't heard them slagged. Any mic can be beat up or worn, but imo any of these made in the developed world older mics are about the same. M&W, B&S, Starrett, Tuminco, Lufkin etc....except maybe Etalon, they are the notch above ,
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I think they were on a par with the older Scherr-Tumico and Lufkin products. Good solid design and construction, not so well known. My old job threw away hundreds of them, they were common in the apprentice toolkits in the late 60's/early 70's.
      Have to admit I prefer the older slant-line B&S mics.

Comment

I have a number of them of various styles. They are fine. I even have a "digital" version, with spherical anvils.

For the older ones, you want to make sure you get all the parts, there is a toothed adjuster, and a spring, that are often missing. They are on the spindle housing, under the thimble unless the thimble is backed way out.

Sometimes they just get loose and are still on the spindle, sometimes they are missing.
        1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Thanks all for the info. I can't believe that in all my years in the shop, I have never noticed this brand on a mike. Thanks for the heads up JT, the thimbles were kind of stiff so I backed them out and gave them a good cleaning. All the adjuster parts are there, and now that I have messed up their settings, I have to find something to calibrate them with.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

They cal like most. The "adjuster" is a backlash compensator.. I have a pic of the adjusting and cal instructions somewhere on the computer, the question is if I can find it.
            1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Had them at the school many years ago. They did well standing up to student abuse. If they appear to be in good shape they should be worth hanging on to.

Comment

Back in the automotive machine shop days, there was a guy who had some. It's been 40 plus years ago, I don't think I've seen any since. Might be pretty rare nowadays.
                I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                Oregon, USA

Comment

Not that rare, I found all mine at tag sales for low prices.
                  1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

That digital Slocomb

One normal and three odd adapted Slocomb mics

1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      They cal like most. The "adjuster" is a backlash compensator.. I have a pic of the adjusting and cal instructions somewhere on the computer, the question is if I can find it.
                      If you should happen across it, please put it on here. I don't think the adjusting would be hard to figure out, but a little guidance couldn't hurt.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

OK, I dug around and it was almost where it should have been!

1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Thanks JT, most appreciated.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                          X