boring bar head to cut a taper on a lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boring bar head to cut a taper on a lathe

Has any forum member used an adjustable boring bar head placed in the tail stock of a lathe to cut a taper. Are there problems doing this, like the head wanting to slip or spin in the tail stock or maybe the set up being a little flexible under load. If this a good procedure I would like to give it a try, As I have my tail stock adjusted spot on and hate to waist the time on moving it and then readjusting.

Use the boring bar, like a regular one, set angle on compound..

Comment

I think I should have said boring head, not boring bar head in my question.

Comment

Please bare with me I'll get it right eventually. lets add this "when cutting a taper on a long shaft" like a rifle barrel.

Comment

Oh you want to use the boring head to hold an offset center..l got it , yeah should work..

Comment

Not only should it work but it does work.... One job I had 30 yrs ago involved making large conveyor rollers on an M K lathe ( Made in India, sold in Canada for oil field work 3" or so headstock bore) .
            Unfortunately the set over arrangements on the tailstock only allowed about 1/2" or so of set over, which was not enough to get the taper specified on 10 ft long rollers.
            I nipped home, brought my 4" boring head in, turned up a centre to fit the holes in the boring head. it was Morse 3, the tailstock Morse 5 so found an adapter and firmly seated both with the boring head set, as best as I could , so that its travel was horizontal, then fitted my ( Soft) centre, loaded the roller , with previously centred ends, into the lathe.
            To get the taper I just wound the adjusting screw out whatever I had calculated, then ran a dial gauge along the roller to check, then adjusted again till it worked out as planned and set the lathe running, the saddle feed engaged and LOTS of oil on my soft centre, then mostly sat down till all the rollers were tapered.
            Did not have any problems with the boring head moving, nor, with chatter, Once set I tightened the gib screws on the boring head.
            I do not think I have ever used that scheme since.
            Regards to all David Powell

Comment

A lot of boring heads have a hole in the side for the bar as well as the usual holes in the end. This might usefully be used as a rotation stop if you think it necessary. It can also be used to ensure the slide of the head is horizontal. It is possible to buy a rotating centre that goes in a tailstock turret (e.g. https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...ilstock-Turret) so that might be a good starting place.

Comment

Yes, using a boring head to hold a center in the tail stock will work, especially when an offset greater than the tailstock's travel is required. It's just a little tricky setting the head in place so that its travel is in line with the cross slide. If the head is at a slight angle the part you're holding will go above or below center height as the boring head is adjusted. Not a big deal, just something to watch out for.

Comment

10 foot roll , sounds like a lot of side pressure or twist. On the tailstock barrel and boring head... but just have to live with that.. or make a support.

Comment

I made one up that I use occasionally. I made a live center for it by reaming a pointed drill rod to .001 over the 1/2" hardened steel dowel pin, put some grease and a bearing ball in the reamed hole for a thrust bearing and slid it together. Super simple. Works fine.
                    Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
                      A lot of boring heads have a hole in the side for the bar as well as the usual holes in the end. This might usefully be used as a rotation stop if you think it necessary. It can also be used to ensure the slide of the head is horizontal. It is possible to buy a rotating centre that goes in a tailstock turret (e.g. https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...ilstock-Turret) so that might be a good starting place.
                      Using a machinist's jack to support it would make it easy to not only make it horizontal but also to compensate for a low tailstock center as well.

Comment

be sure to use r-type center drills or balls.

Comment

Working...
                        X