HF vs Eastwood vs Woodward clones of Beverly B1 shear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Baileigh and importers like them don't make anything. They just choose a paint color.
    You got that right.

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
      Corrected it for you..................

"I would be more inclined to trust Eastwood --
      --even if it is no better than HF, at least it is an American company that will stand behind their cheaply made Chinese product."

JL.................

Yep, hence the price difference. I would be inclined to favor the original Beverly shear even with *NO* warrantee.... because none will be needed. Fact is, there isn't a whole lot of choice left any more, thanks to Wall St. (I fart in their general direction...)
      Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 09-17-2020, 06:05 PM.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Yep, hence the price difference. I would be inclined to favor the original Beverly shear even with *NO* warrantee.... because none will be needed. Fact is, there isn't a whole lot of choice left any more, thanks to Wall St. (I fart in their general direction...)
        I don't know about Wall Street.... I'm more inclined to think NAFTA. And anything else that forced companies to go overseas.

JL...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Innes View Post
          I have owned a B-2 for many years. .
          How did you find the B2 work with 10 or 11 gauge? Its what they say it can do, but it seems like a heck of a lot for a hand shear....real or brochure claim?
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I wonder if the chinese clones are close enough to use Beverly blades instead of the chineseium ones that wear out after one use? I agree with all the comments about the same unit just a different color. Unfortunately, just because the company is based in the US, the reasonable assumption that they will stand behind their product is not always there anymore. (I have a KAKA combination shear roller and press at work and it is about the same quality as a horrible freight one, it works for our purposes.) Jim

Comment

I've been watching the Beverly shears on eBay. Someone not far from me listed a B3 for $120 Buy It Now a few weeks ago. Naturally, it was sold before I saw the email alert.

Comment

At least KAKA had the industrial integrity to let you know the quality up front...
                Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                  At least KAKA had the industrial integrity to let you know the quality up front...
                  Yeah, the clue is in the name!!

JL.........

Comment

I had to laugh when my boss was so happy buying it and I asked what brand he bought.

Comment

Cutting 1/8” mild steel takes some arm power, but doesn’t strain the shear too much. To make an accurate cut, make a rough cut 1/4 to 1/8” from your cut line first, same as with hand shears. 1/8“aluminum is a breeze.
                      Last edited by Bob Innes; 09-18-2020, 11:38 PM.

Comment

I have the Harbor Freight version. It took most of a day fiddling with it to get it to cut right. None of the main linkage holes appeared to be drilled, just as cast. If they did attempt to machine them, they were already large enough that nothing happened, The lower pocket for the blade wasn't machined to the correct shape and had to be shimmed to support the blade properly. I had to add some thin washers to the linkage and grease it well.

I will say the blades were well heat treated and after I got it working, it will cleanly shave very thin slices. I've only used it for .060 and thinner aluminum and for 18 gauge and thinner steel. I did try it on some 16 gauge steel, but it didn't want to cut it. I might have the blades adjusted too close for the thicker material, but I"m leaving it where it is for now, since the thinner stuff is what I need it for the most. It's great for roughing out chip board patterns, too.

I keep the handle pulled back with a rubber strap when not in use. It would be easy for one of my grandkids to lose a finger in it. They usually know not to go in my shop if I'm not there, but you never know.

I usually consider anything machinery related from Harbor Freight to be a semi-finished collection of castings that's gonna need a lot of work. Less disappointment that way. We don't even want to talk about the bead roller I got from them! They don't even sell that thing anymore. Mine works great now, after redoing practically every part on it.
                        Last edited by Bluechips; 09-19-2020, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I chose Baileigh after finding out Beverly was closed or in suspended animation.
                          The blades are a pain to line up and do roll the edges but I haven't really used it that much for precision cutting.
                          Shame about Beverly though.
                          Word was their casting shop closed and prices anywhere else were crazy or not available.
                          Len

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                            I also wanted an actual Bev, no dice, too price

I ended up getting the HF unit because I am 3 minutes from the warehouse and would just drive it back.

I still own it, surprisingly a really nice hand shear. JR
                            Well, my 62 Nova. See is my last car. , I wont do anymore cars or Engines,

Comment

Well, I just ordered the Eastwood version so we shall see what the extra $100 brings. It is one of the few that have a safety pin included.

After reading here and hearing from elsewhere about how good the Harbor Freight version is after getting it home, disassembling, cleaning, adjusting (shimming blade or resharpening), and its only $zzz with tax and the 20% coupon, I decided to try for a little better out of the box. Ordinarily, I like a good project and the HF parts kits can be quite enjoyable and rewarding. In this case the time for such fitting needs to go to the main project, not the tooling. Perhaps I'll jump at a HF 4 x 6 band saw kit next.

Thank you to all for the varied responses. Boeing surplus, wow been many a year since I was last there.

Will post what my experience is.

Comment

I just spoke with a person at Beverly Shear 773-238-0003, and was told they purchased Beverly Shear in July,
                                and are working to fulfill backorders, probably shipping in November.

Comment

Working...
                                X