Fusion 360 - dissapointing changes iminent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion 360 - dissapointing changes iminent

I think all you Fusion 360 free hobbyist users need to watch this (approx 8 mins). Detailing changes to the free hobbyist licensing term and functionality. I recommend that you are seated and have a supply of tissues on hand before watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EOiuTu14tI

Not surprising........but very dissapointing

Ian

They already changed their Startups and Small businesses to just startups and limited even those by a modest gross sales level. (Which is often not a reflection of profitability.)

It F-----ING AUTOCAD. What did you expect. Don't worry. If you are student or educator it will still be free. That's how AutoCAD once dominated the market before. By being free to schools so all the prospective draftspersons were educated only in AutoCAD.

Don't worry though. AutoCAD will only aggressively protect their proprietary file format so those who receive files from clients in that format will be forced to buy into the software rental model even if they don't use it in house.

I used Fusion360 just enough to recognize that it had some cool CAM capabilities, but I was careful not to become dependent on it. I mean after all IT IS AUTOCAD.

*** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Thanks for posting the video. They sent me an Email today informing of the changes. Wondering, did other members get an Email notification from Fusion?

Comment

Well, this latest change in fusion did it. I just joined the EAA and downloaded solidworks. I'm sure more changes will be coming with fusion.

Thanks to RB211 for pointing out the availability of solidworks thru the EAA ! Now the learning begins. Fortunately, its just a hobby for me.

Comment

Yup, got the e-mail. I am not sure how it will impact my use. I will watch the video and perhaps get more on that.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

Make it fit.
          You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

EAA? All I can find is Experimental Aircraft Association. Is that it? Or what?

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
            Well, this latest change in fusion did it. I just joined the EAA and downloaded solidworks. I'm sure more changes will be coming with fusion.

Thanks to RB211 for pointing out the availability of solidworks thru the EAA ! Now the learning begins. Fortunately, its just a hobby for me.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
              EAA? All I can find is Experimental Aircraft Association. Is that it? Or what?

That's it.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

Yup. Time to make the change. I did fusion as a simple, no cost learning experience. Didn't see the need to join EAA as I already have access to their monthly magazine through other sources. They're a great organization. I guess it's time to stop being a tight wad and officially start supporting them.

Comment

Did anyone actually NOT see this coming?

I think there have been threads way back when everyone was touting Fusion, that suggested that something like this was coming.

Yeah, I guess this really is "we toldja so".

It looks as if the free version is becoming essentially a "free demo version". Much or most of the essential stuff that makes it useful is being pulled.
                  Last edited by J Tiers; 09-17-2020, 01:03 AM. Reason: added comment

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by IanPendle View Post
                    I think all you Fusion 360 free hobbyist users need to watch this (approx 8 mins). Detailing changes

Not surprising........but very dissapointing

Ian
                    I get it Ian. In this case I dont think its one of those bait and grab things like that does happen in some Software Platforms.

I have always been happy with the product and will find something else.

Software is a difficult Field these days. The skill just flooded the market. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      Did anyone actually NOT see this coming?

I think there have been threads way back when everyone was touting Fusion, that suggested that something like this was coming.

Yeah, I guess this really is "we toldja so".

It looks as if the free version is becoming essentially a "free demo version". Much or most of the essential stuff that makes it useful is being pulled.
                      Pretty sure most seen it coming I sure did. Started maybe a year ago with the first round of removing features for free users. Pretty well accepted more would follow, it was just a question of WHEN. Even with the latest round of degrading the product, its still quite useful and powerful for hobby users, its just why wait for the big boom.

I will bet the EAA sees a huge membership surge thanks to autodesk. The EAA is a good outfit, I am sure they can use the money !
                      Last edited by Sparky_NY; 09-17-2020, 05:13 AM.

Comment

I was going to remind people that Siemens Solid Edge Student Edition is free for hobbyists, but I see they recently changed their licensing terms. They now have a Community Edition for hobbyists. I'm not sure what the differences are, but the Community Edition installer is a bit larger. You can download the full installer onto your computer, the license never expires, and it doesn't rely on any cloud services. I just installed the Community Edition in a VM without a network connection and the year set to 2040 and it installed and ran just fine.

The Student Edition has almost all the features of the full product, and it looks like the Community edition is the same. I've heard that some people don't like the synchronous editing mode in Solid Edge, but that can be turned off to make it more like other CAD programs. I don't know enough to compare it with other CAD packages, but I am sure it will do whatever I need as a hobbyist seeing as it's a professional tool.

Two downsides to mention. There aren't anywhere near as many tutorials or books on it as F360, but there are still thousands of pages of documentation. Also no free CAM if you need that.

Even if you don't have time to try it now, I would grab a copy just in case they make the license more restrictive in future. https://www.plm.automation.siemens.c...ware/community

Comment

20 Dollars US, 40 Canadian, not free, but close.
                          Military/Veterans/Students
                          https://www.solidworks.com/sites/def...MVPProgram.pdf
                          CAM/CNC is supposed to be available as an add on.
                          Larry

Comment

I got the email from them. However I still don't quite get it...for hobbyists it i still free but without all the features that will be disabled? Or with those features. Getting rid of DXF is a deal breaker alone.

Comment

So can foreigners join the EAA?

Comment

Working...
                              X