No announcement yet.

Fusion 360 - dissapointing changes iminent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I am both a Fusion subscriber for way back when they killed a lot of the format import/export, and Solidworks user. I haven't done CAM yet in Solidworks, but it's the premium student edition so it's included along with everything else.
    Even as a Fusion360 subscriber, they still have features that cost extra, like certain file formats and CAM paths that cost an extra 120$ PER MONTH with their credits.
    As far as differences between F360 and SW, I find the sketching to be a little more clunky in SW, but the assemblies to be far superior. The 2D drawings are also much better in SW. SW Also has some powerful features lacking in F360.
    I like F360 for the CAM but apparently SW's is good too?
    They are both parametric and both work the same. Won't be a steep learning curve going from one to the other. The biggest difference is assemblies where F360 does it all in the same document, SW uses individual files for each part and the assembly is a separate file. You can contain new parts in the assembly or save as seperate files.

Comment

This has been coming since the very beginning. We just pulled the trigger on Solidworks at work and over the next couple weeks I'll be migrating everything over from Mechanical Desktop. Might as well sign up with the EAA and get Solidworks for home now too. I've only used Fusion for the odd personal stuff anyway, and the one thing that I always hated about it (cloud based) was actually the one thing I grew to like the most about it for my home use. I could freely chip away at Gov jobs on breaks or sitting on my couch without ever having to remember to bring a memory stick with me. Everything I do with fusion is still free anyway, so I'll probably still use it for some stuff like the t spline sculpting tool which is what got me using it in the first place. They bought the old Rhino plugin t splines and integrated it into Fusion. Although ditching the step and iges out functions really sucks for me.

I haven't really used Solidworks since 2004, and a bit in 2008. Time to let some smoke out of my ears.....

Can't say I blame Autodesk. They're a business that needs revenue to survive. They've been feeding this cow for a long time, eventually you need to start carving some steaks off it.

The comments sections are always fun. People crying about a free software that starts charging. "WTF I can't afford $500 a year to run my 5 axis mill, plasma table, and CNC router......." Awe Muffin, you poor thing, That just cracks me up.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
        So can foreigners join the EAA?
        Yes, although it does not look there are any chapters currently in Finland.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-chapters...an-eaa-chapter

Comment

Originally posted by sandiapaul View Post
          I got the email from them. However I still don't quite get it...for hobbyists it i still free but without all the features that will be disabled? Or with those features. Getting rid of DXF is a deal breaker alone.
          The Personal License isn't going away its just feature limited now. AutoDesk feels that if you need those advanced features you are in a position to pay for Fusion.
          You should go here and read the official notice in the blog https://www.autodesk.com/products/fu...-personal-use/

BTW you can still export to DXF from a 2D sketch.

My summery is AutoDesk feels people are taking advantage of the openness of the license to use the Fusion Personal license when they should be paying for it because they have a viable business. Looks around at how many companies are selling CNC machines (Mills, Routers, Plasma Tables etc) and they all right in their sales brochures tell folks to buy our product, use Fusion 360 for free. Its unfortunate for those of use that don't have a business that enjoyed those features.
          Mike
          Central Ohio, USA

Comment

I dunno ... there's a big investment in learning a new program as complex as a CAD, just t have it become too expensive to use. It happened with Fusion, why won't it happen with Solidworks? It's much less likely with open source software, but Solidworks is already pay-for in certain regimes and it could easily go the Fusion route.

Comment

If the full price of Fusion 360 makes you catch your breath, then you really don't want o know how much a full commercial seat of SolidWorks costs. We have a very limited number of SolidWorks seats at work.

Basic SolidWorks, which comes only with their (admittedly excellent) Motion Analysis is a bit over $12,000 to purchase, with ~$2500 each year to keep up the subscription/ Miss a year of the subscription and you buy the seat again. That long list of SolidWorks add-ins like Simulation, Fluids, Electronics are $4000-$7000 each to purchase, $1500-$3000 per year maintenance. And the kicker... you cannot save a SolidWorks file in a previous-edition format, so no sharing full modeling files with someone who hasn't kept up with their subscription.

The Student version of SolidWorks, available readily with various credentials for $99 (or sometimes under), is last year's commercial version (but without any of the bug fixes) with ALL of the SolidWorks add-ins, but it times out in 1 year and all drawings are watermarked "SolidWorks Student Version - Not for Commercial Use"

Even at the (current) full price of $495, Fusion 360 is a bargain if you need the commercial features.

Comment

And for $199 one time, Alibre Atom does all the common file formats.

Yes it is not full Alibre design, but it is quite effective from all I have heard. (I use Alibre Design)

https://www.alibre.com/atom3d/

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Hi,

This is the path OnShape took the instant they didn't need the exposure of hobbyists anymore. Now Fusion is implementing the same exact restrictions.This is why I've moved to FreeCad. Due to being open source and usable on Windows, Mac, and Linux makes it more desirable. Plus, it runs locally, it doesn't need the cloud to work.

There are youtube tutorials to be watched, (I recommend sliptonic and Joko Engineeringhelp - he does SolidWorks too). Plus a very active help forum for users. All for the cost of free.

And for those who seem to balk a software that appears to be V.19, would it make you feel better if it was labeled V19 instead.

While I have fiddled with Fusion, I won't miss it if the hobby version goes away.
                  If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

They did the same thing with Eagle recently so a lot of people knew their was coming down the line (Eagle is schematic capture and pcb design). I have issues in general where they force you to keep files in the cloud so I never messed with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
                      They already changed their Startups and Small businesses to just startups and limited even those by a modest gross sales level. (Which is often not a reflection of profitability.)

It F-----ING AUTOCAD. What did you expect. Don't worry. If you are student or educator it will still be free. That's how AutoCAD once dominated the market before. By being free to schools so all the prospective draftspersons were educated only in AutoCAD.

Don't worry though. AutoCAD will only aggressively protect their proprietary file format so those who receive files from clients in that format will be forced to buy into the software rental model even if they don't use it in house.

I used Fusion360 just enough to recognize that it had some cool CAM capabilities, but I was careful not to become dependent on it. I mean after all IT IS AUTOCAD.
                      Autodesk not Autocad
                      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
                        So can foreigners join the EAA?
                        Furanurs, what are them thar commies tryin' to steal are Solidworks.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post

Autodesk not Autocad
                          MEH!!!!!!!
                          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

You guys looking for something other than Fusion might consider BobCad. I know, I know, it has a bad reputation. That reputation is dissevered too for their early products.

Their new stuff is pretty good, at least the CAM portion for CNC. And the good news is you set the price. But you have to carefully explain you're a hobbyist and there's no way you can or want to pay list prices. From my experience, their attitude seems to be it's better to sell a $1K product for $200 than no sale at all.

Comment

After getting used to the "strangeness" of FreeCad coming from F360 it's not looking too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                                And for $199 one time, Alibre Atom does all the common file formats.

Yes it is not full Alibre design, but it is quite effective from all I have heard. (I use Alibre Design)

https://www.alibre.com/atom3d/
                                I use Alibre Atom on my tablet pc. I bought it during a holiday when it was on sale for $150.

I really like it for the price point. The only things it doesn't have that I miss are sketch fillets, circular & linear patterns in assemblies, and a mirror command in assemblies. And of course it doesn't do sheetmetal, but on the rare times I need to do that, I do it at work or on my old desktop with Solidworks 2007.
                                Last edited by Galaxie; 09-18-2020, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X