No announcement yet.

Fusion 360 - dissapointing changes iminent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This discussion is timely. I'm a hobbyist and retiring. I used Visio to in the work and used it for drawing parts for hobby shop work. Now I need to either buy it or find something else and I'm guessing something like Alibre Atom would introduce me to a hole 'nother world of possibilities.

Would it do fine for simple 2D diagrams as well? What are other recommendations would one have?

Thanks, - Reed

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxie View Post
      I use Alibre Atom on my tablet pc. I bought it during a holiday when it was on sale for $150.
      I noticed that full Alibre design is on discount right now..... still not super cheap, but better than the usual deal

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Reed View Post
        This discussion is timely. I'm a hobbyist and retiring. I used Visio to in the work and used it for drawing parts for hobby shop work. Now I need to either buy it or find something else and I'm guessing something like Alibre Atom would introduce me to a hole 'nother world of possibilities.

Would it do fine for simple 2D diagrams as well? What are other recommendations would one have?

Thanks, - Reed
        The free version of Fusion 360 is probably still the best CAD/CAM program for you. 2D drawings will still work fine in the free version of Fusion 360. The only part of the change I don't like is not being able to export step files. I do like to share some of my designs with people who don't use Fusion 360.

Alibre doesn't have nearly the functionality of Fusion 360.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

I noticed that full Alibre design is on discount right now..... still not super cheap, but better than the usual deal

I found the main sales tag line interesting... "Buy it once - own it forever" I wonder when the sale started? Now is good time for them to market hard.
          Mike
          Central Ohio, USA

Comment

It is really (for Expert, anyhow) "Buy it once, own it until our license server dies", but Atom may be different.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Atom is the same; it has a lifetime license that you can transfer to different computers. If you want the regular updates, you have to pay a ~$50 subscription each year. I was glad I got the last update though, it improved some interface things I didn't care for.

Comment

By "dissapointing" you mean "now costs more then 0.00" correct?

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                  tryin' to steal are Solidworks.
                  Theft as in steal= To permanently deprive.

Its not theft, its Joy riding. Still illegal.

And yes, SW is all over the web space. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxie View Post
                    Atom is the same; it has a lifetime license that you can transfer to different computers. If you want the regular updates, you have to pay a ~$50 subscription each year. I was glad I got the last update though, it improved some interface things I didn't care for.
                    There is another big update in Beta now, Oct 12 goal date. And at least one minor update coming fairly soon

I assume it will be in Atom also.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                      No, I meant that the the changes made will remove functionality which I think is fairly core to it's usefulness to many users. I posted this as a heads up - make of it what you will. I still think that it is an amazing piece of software to be given out free - and it is still free for genuine 'hobbyist' users. I'm not getting into any arguments - life's too short.
                      Last edited by IanPendle; 09-20-2020, 01:21 AM. Reason: Grammar correction

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post

The free version of Fusion 360 is probably still the best CAD/CAM program for you. 2D drawings will still work fine in the free version of Fusion 360. The only part of the change I don't like is not being able to export step files. I do like to share some of my designs with people who don't use Fusion 360.

Alibre doesn't have nearly the functionality of Fusion 360.
                        With the new restrictions on file formats and drawings I don't find it useful at all anymore even for my limited use. A single sheet drawing just breaks me.

Comment

How hard is it to combine pdfs of each sheet into one pdf?

Comment

What does that matter when you can't export to PDF anymore. And even if it did, I'm still moving away from Fusion so I won't have to bother .

Comment

Simply print to a pdf file.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	PDFPrinter.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1900475

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                                I don't think the price changed. They disabled features in the free version to push people towards the paid version.

F360 is still too cheap for what it is. Anyone using it today should expect the price to increase in future and/or for more features to become options. If you don't like this business model, then use something with a license that doesn't expire, and preferably one that doesn't rely on an activation server (or a free product). Existing products with perpetual licenses will most likely move to subscription licenses in future. It's more profitable for the company, smooths out their income and reduces the pressure to release new versions. Some customers also like it because it's easier to budget for and moves software purchases from a capital expense to an operating expense (CAPEX may require more approvals than OPEX).

Comment

Working...
                                X