No announcement yet.

Fusion 360 - dissapointing changes iminent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any professional company that has the minimal computer security is NOT going to store their proprietary/secure files in the cloud as is required by 360 .It doesn't matter how much Autodesk claims it is secure, it can always be hacked if someone try's hard enough and does anyone actually believe that the companies storing the files don't actually look at them. Autodesk may be finding it hard to get companies to buy into 360 and isn't doing to well and now have to hit the amateurs up to make money off of it.

Join the EEA and get Solidworks or download a free copy of Solidedge (it is a very decent program, probably as good as Solidworks or Inventor minus a few bits and bobs) for free. Baring that just find an old version of Solidworks or Inventor on the web for free, your not costing anyone with that solution. If you have a hangup with that then deal with it.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Cloud storage by "professional companies" is gigantic... We're small and have about 500T out there. Can you access it? Only by providing network credentials (not "name/password") and it's not like someone can "look" at the files - at a minimum they are encrypted.AES128. We aren't concerned, and neither is our auditors.

Good luck with buying solid works "used" on ebay. The licensing is to use it, not own it, and is either tied to a single computer (Yep, $5000 and one device unless the original "owner" goes through a process to move it) or to a single/number of simultaneous user in a company.

I have a licensed copy on a laptop that belongs to the company. They don't want to pay to update it so I wanted to transfer it to me (outside the company) so I could put it on a "real" machine. Not possible. Every year I use it beyond 2019 accrues the yearly update fee. If I decide to update it in 2022, I'll have to pay three years of updates to get it to that version, lol.. Then cheaper to buy a new copy.

Comment

Even if you pay for Fusion360, it is a bargain compared to everything else.
        I also noticed that the Solidworks people have come out with their own Fusion 360 competitor cloud based. I really like the benefits of a cloud. I've resorted to using github for backing up my Solidworks files.
        Solidworks is really competing with Autodesk Inventor.

Comment

SolidWorks is not competing with Inventor. They won that war years ago. Trying finding a job for Inventor. I switched the FIRST robotics team to SolidWorks so they’d be learning the dominant program. Same way I switched to AutoCAD which I still despise, I needed a job, and wasn’t going try arguing that what I used for 15 years was better.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
            Cloud storage by "professional companies" is gigantic... We're small and have about 500T out there. Can you access it? Only by providing network credentials (not "name/password") and it's not like someone can "look" at the files - at a minimum they are encrypted.AES128. We aren't concerned, and neither is our auditors.

Good luck with buying solid works "used" on ebay. The licensing is to use it, not own it, and is either tied to a single computer (Yep, $5000 and one device unless the original "owner" goes through a process to move it) or to a single/number of simultaneous user in a company.

I have a licensed copy on a laptop that belongs to the company. They don't want to pay to update it so I wanted to transfer it to me (outside the company) so I could put it on a "real" machine. Not possible. Every year I use it beyond 2019 accrues the yearly update fee. If I decide to update it in 2022, I'll have to pay three years of updates to get it to that version, lol.. Then cheaper to buy a new copy.
            The problem I see with a strictly "cloud" based system for me is no redundancy.

If there are hundreds of man hours on a project and its only in the air what happens when.... Fill in the space. Anything ahppens.

You can say shoot, that wasnt supposed to happen. Start over.

I like redundant storage solutions. That 200 man hour project will be on three different hard drives, one being the cloud. Just my pref. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

The problem I see with a strictly "cloud" based system for me is no redundancy.

If there are hundreds of man hours on a project and its only in the air what happens when.... Fill in the space. Anything ahppens.

You can say shoot, that wasnt supposed to happen. Start over.

I like redundant storage solutions. That 200 man hour project will be on three different hard drives, one being the cloud. Just my pref. JR
              I've come to the realization that the IT professionals who are at the top of their game do a far better job of backing up my data than I ever could do.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post

I've come to the realization that the IT professionals who are at the top of their game do a far better job of backing up my data than I ever could do.
                That's so.... but some things cannot be in the cloud... just depends. Cloud storage of proprietary stuff is not cool. Ditto for a company doing client work. Patent apps... that probably should never be on the cloud either until the application is submitted.

Yeah, the pay-for always did support local storage, at least partially, as I understand it.

Those IT folks have bosses.... I know some IT folks, and when the bosses say scrap that data, it gets scrapped. If they say we are not going to try to recover that, it stays lost.
                1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post

I agree, on your behalf.

Umm? Mr. Flying man?

I thought if anything you would have loved "I like redundant". JR

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Those IT folks have bosses.... I know some IT folks, and when the bosses say scrap that data, it gets scrapped. If they say we are not going to try to recover that, it stays lost.
                    And that leads to>

"You can say shoot, that wasnt supposed to happen. Start over."

And some job loss. JR

Comment

And that leads to>

"You can say shoot, that wasnt supposed to happen. Start over."

And some job loss. JR
                      Much more danger of job loss if the boss says "don't recover that" and you DO recover it. Or the boss says "delete that" and you do NOT delete it.

If the cloud storage for all the hobby types using "Nerf Fusion" has a glitch, does anyone think there will be a big effort to recover it? How does doing that make money for Autodesk?

Heck, they might not even migrate it to a new server. We ARE talking "bean counters" you know.
                      Last edited by J Tiers; 09-21-2020, 12:02 AM.
                      1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

I agree, on your behalf.

Umm? Mr. Flying man?

I thought if anything you would have loved "I like redundant". JR
                        Well the flip side is that when I am stuck in a hotel room in Sydney or Hong Kong, all of my projects are at my finger tips. But with my Solidworks files, I have local copies, and copies in a Git repository which may or may not be updated to the latest.

Comment

I joined the EAA last night, auto-renewal of membership got it down to 36$

I assume if I leave the EAA the license will expire when SolidWorks next checks it. So it's a subscription service.

Well time to learn a new program. Also have Solid Edge installed so I can compare and contrast.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
                            Well time to learn a new program. Also have Solid Edge installed so I can compare and contrast.
                            I would be interested to hear how they compare. I only know SE, and I use the term "know" loosely!

This document explains how their synchronous technology works. Some people love it, and others hate it. It can be turned off if you don't like it.
                            https://solidedge.siemens.com/en/pag...-in-3d-design/

This is their Testdrive/introductory manual (218 pages). There are also some videos that go through some of this content. They are accessed from the SE help.
                            http://plmsolutions.lv/wp-content/up...stdrive_se.pdf

This is their fundamentals book (1,539 pages)
                            https://support.industrysoftware.aut...-s-1040_en.pdf

They also have a book for sheet metal (606 pages)
                            https://docs.plm.automation.siemens....df/mt01419.pdf

I haven't had much need to use it, but I have managed to get what I want out of it. I only briefly looked at F360, so I have little to compare with. I found F360 less stable on my system, and the UI was less intuitive for me. The "free for life" sealed the deal, so I stopped looking at F360 after a day or so.

Reed The SE 2D version is free (I think even for commercial use). https://www.plm.automation.siemens.c...re/free-2d-cad

Comment

Thought this advertisement was funny
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200921-080532_Facebook.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	585.7 KB
ID:	1900662

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post

If you believe it can't be hacked then your a victim waiting to happen.

Solidworks......buy???????????
                                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X