No announcement yet.

Fusion 360 - dissapointing changes iminent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloud storage is not secure. How many large companies with good security have to announce their latest hacked files each year? Yeah..... and that is usually not even cloud storage, that is their own secure server.

However, to the unhackable files point, I can absolutely guarantee that my personal financial files are not hackable. You cannot hack into them, that's how strong the protection is. Absolute protection can be done, just not with cloud files. I am not the least bit worried about those files, and, yes, they ARE computer files, actually on a regular windows computer. Just unhackable.

Originally posted by elf View Post
    How hard is it to combine pdfs of each sheet into one pdf?
    Very easy. use PDF995. Print to it, and there you are. It would be possible to make printing to a file or potentially a PDF converter impossible, but I question whether the folks at Autodesk would bother.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

Why would a user of the free Fusion 360 program need to worry about whether or not their cloud storage was secure? If your hobbiest models are that valuable it sounds like you're abusing the terms of the license and using it for a business.

Comment

Why would a user of the free Fusion 360 program need to worry about whether or not their cloud storage was secure? If your hobbiest models are that valuable it sounds like you're abusing the terms of the license and using it for a business.
        That is a very limited viewpoint.

"Secure" has many meanings. Secure in this case can mean safe from hacking, copying, etc. Secure can also mean that you can find the files again, that they will be where you put them when you want them back.

The "cloud" facility is not controlled by you. The rules for file preservation are not your rules, may not be fully disclosed, and are subject to change at any time, as you may have noticed that Autodesk likes to do..

Files that have sat un-accessed for too long may be automatically purged. (The photobucket folks just sent me an email mentioning that had not accessed the account for a long time , likely 2 years, and that they would make them inaccessible if I did not show interest by accessing my account soon.).

Since there are apparently "active" and "inactive" files under the new Fusion hobby user system, that provides an easy way of setting up a blanket server purge. One fine day, they may decide that files unaccessed since "X" date are abandoned, and dump the lot.

For those with a business license, I believe both cloud and local are allowed, but it may be important to avoid cloud storage of some, or all files, for any of the reasons I mentioned in this or previous posts.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

If you're too lazy to back up your files, you shouldn't be doing serious work.

Comment

If you're too lazy to back up your files, you shouldn't be doing serious work.
            I understood that the new version hobby Fusion had ONLY cloud storage..... Perhaps I misunderstood?

If that IS the case, then the backup becomes an issue. But I have not used fusion, and so I must go by what users have said (and they have said many things). And, "serious work" evidently does not include hobby types in your world?

In any case, I certainly do not disagree about the need for backup, but I see good practices "honored in the breach thereof" all the time. It's hard to criticize folks for not backing up files, when everyone from Microsoft on down seems to deliberately make it hard, by "spraying files all over the disk" indiscriminately.... "My pictures", "My videos", my documents, My this, my that, my HAT. And there are more that do not start with "my", although most seem to. If ordinary folks can make sense of all that, they are not so "ordinary".

People have been trained by making it very hard to do things right. And then folks, even some above, are suggesting that cloud files are the most secure. THAT certainly does not help people think about backup.

Yah.... stuff all that, with all the BS, only the paranoid (I number myself among them) have even one backup. I have 4, backed up at various times, and not even all in one structure, let alone room. Some are tB drives, some are stick memories.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

The convenience of the cloud is very good at making people look the other way when it comes to past practices. Heck, I have around five Alexa wiretaps in my house and most things are "smart". Too lazy to get up to turn off a light? Use your voice.

Comment

Backing up the Fusion 360 files is not a problem per se. The coming changes to Fusion 360 are removing the export of models in step format which is commonly used in the open source community to transfer files between different CAD programs. The export formats like stl lose a significant amount of detail in the models. The Fusion 360 format, f3d, and the Inventor formats, ipt and iam, don't lose any detail, but are limited to sharing with only Autodesk programs.

The big problems with these changes are the price hike is far too high for most hobby users, changes that are just annoying like the ten open document limit and no rapids in CAM, exporting step files, and the largest problem is the lost trust in Autodesk.

If you can't live with those problems then the choices you have are to spend significantly more money to get an equivalent CAD/CAM program or spend a little more to get a CAD/CAM program with less functionality. Putting your trust in the Solidworks EAA program will likely end up being the same as putting your trust in Autodesk Fusion 360.
                Last edited by elf; 09-21-2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post

If you believe it can't be hacked then your a victim waiting to happen.

Solidworks......buy???????????
                  lol... anything that has network access can be "hacked", especially if you understand that with the tightest fortress walls, you still can have breaches due to inside jobs or sloppy/idiot employees. We have a lot of technology to minimize (we watch all access to our data at many levels), not "eliminate" the risk. Even then, if you get access you still have to deal with encryption.

We don't use "the cloud" because it's cool, and at our level it's certainly not cheap; we use it because the advantages outweigh the manageable risks.

Comment

Putting your trust in the Solidworks EAA program will likely end up being the same as putting your trust in Autodesk Fusion 360.
                    yep! That program wasn't put is so the unwashed masses could access a $5000 program for $38 a year. Too much visibility it will be tightened up fast. If you already run Fusion, I'd stay with it rather than make a big jump to SolidWorks, and I have SolidWorks.

Comment

Well it should be good to go one year at a time so I think I will proceed, if that also falls through there is still Solid Edge and then also FreeCAD. Seems a good idea to me to learn multiple CAD programs, then you will have an easier time of moving between different programs and not be locked into one.

Comment

My line of thought goes along the same way as aviation did for me. If I can't afford to fly, I better do it for a living so someone else pays me to fly.
                        With these CAD/CAM packages, it's, "I better start making money with my CNC so I can afford to pay up down the road.
                        But again, It's 350$ a year for Fusion, it's a few tool holders, some endmills, etc.
                        What worries me though is that they have additional credits and subscriptions for paying customers to use certain tool paths. Whose to say they won't start charging for Adaptives and what not? By then, I'll just buy SolidCam if I am making money with my tools.
                        All else fails, people will pirate.

Comment

"All else fails people will pirate"

That ship sailed long ago. You have been able to get Solidworks, Inventor, Autocad, Catia, Pro-E and more from all over the net for a long time.
                          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                            "All else fails people will pirate"

That ship sailed long ago. You have been able to get Solidworks, Inventor, Autocad, Catia, Pro-E and more from all over the net for a long time.
                            I am sure the older versions could be found. For hobbyists, what do they care? Brian uses a very old version to this day, that he bought a long time ago.

Comment

Autodesk could make current versions of F360 impossible to pirate by keeping more code in the cloud. You'd need valid credentials to use certain features because some critical part of the code for those features will only be on their servers.

My problem with F360 is the uncertainty. It's clearly comparable with professional CAD/CAM products, so the price has to reflect that eventually. Solid Edge is $2K to $4K a year. Solidworks starts at $5K a year. Then you have to add the CAM. The pricing and policy changes won't be over until Autodesk is getting what the market will bear, and there is still a lot of upside there. Expect more "dissapointing changes" for hobbyists in the coming months and years. According to the other video by the same guy, their current sale only guarantees the pricing for three years. Previous offers fixed the price for life. Of course, even those with guaranteed prices for life found that they couldn't use all the features without paying more. No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
                                Autodesk could make current versions of F360 impossible to pirate by keeping more code in the cloud. You'd need valid credentials to use certain features because some critical part of the code for those features will only be on their servers.

My problem with F360 is the uncertainty. It's clearly comparable with professional CAD/CAM products, so the price has to reflect that eventually. Solid Edge is $2K to $4K a year. Solidworks starts at $5K a year. Then you have to add the CAM. The pricing and policy changes won't be over until Autodesk is getting what the market will bear, and there is still a lot of upside there. Expect more "dissapointing changes" for hobbyists in the coming months and years. According to the other video by the same guy, their current sale only guarantees the pricing for three years. Previous offers fixed the price for life. Of course, even those with guaranteed prices for life found that they couldn't use all the features without paying more. No thanks.
                                Yes, I got the "For Life" deal. Hmm, I'm due October 25th. Hmm, it is only $310 for me, which really is a bargain for what it does.
                                Last edited by RB211; 09-22-2020, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X