No announcement yet.

Fusion 360 - dissapointing changes iminent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought there was no engineering reference in the free version, but there is at least part of it (thirteen items). Some examples.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1901431

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1901432

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1901433

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1901434

Clicking Create with the default settings for the last one creates this.

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1901435

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

You did not mention "maintenance". I pay that on Alibre expert, because I get the upgrades as soon as produced. One is due in a couple weeks, delayed due to an upgrade of an underlying vendor-supplied function. And there will be at least one minor upgrade soon after.

With the "maintenance" model, you do NOT "buy" the upgraded program, you pay for it's on-going development, so there is no reason for the company to delay anything, especially bug fixes. Upgrades with new and improved features are what sells the program.
      That's how they sell it but the reality is upgrades and improvements are relatively minor these days. The software has become mature and until there is some great revelation in how CAD works there really isn't much to change (they appear to be mostly cosmetic and management features which are more impressive looking then they actually are) so "constant upgrade maintenance" is mostly BS. As far as bug fixes being done constantly, that may be true but before the annual maintenance fee system started the CAD companies put out frequent, as in every couple of month, fixes so you didn't have to wait very long for a bug fix. Major bug fixes came out immediately. The annual maintenance fee model is mostly a scam that the CAD companies can use to guarantee their income stream, the number of companies buy new installs of software has probably levelled off so the money to be made buy selling CAD packages is dropping way off.

Its the printer and ink thing all over again . Buy the printer and pay and pay and pay for expensive ink.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
        I thought there was no engineering reference in the free version, but there is at least part of it (thirteen items). Some examples.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1901431

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1901432

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1901433

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1901434

Clicking Create with the default settings for the last one creates this.

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1901435
        Good to know
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          I use Expert, and have the sheet metal, which I do not use a lot, but have definitely used. CAD sheet metal is odd. I have always used a table of bend allowances by metal thickness, but the CAD programs all seem to use the Lockheed "k factor" system, which I do not like particularly.
          Does Expert not give you the option to use bend allowance or bend deduction instead of K-factor? SolidWorks and I think Inventor do, so I'd be surprised if Alibre didn't have a drop-down or check box somewhere.

Comment

Fusion 360 starts with K factor, but allows you to override it and set bend properties.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxie View Post
                Does Expert not give you the option to use bend allowance or bend deduction instead of K-factor? SolidWorks and I think Inventor do, so I'd be surprised if Alibre didn't have a drop-down or check box somewhere.
                Not that I, or Support, know of. Not yet. It may change. SWX did not in the version I used, either.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

I wanted to share a "perhaps heads up"...

I decided tonight was the night during which I was going to export everything to .f3d files on my local disks. The first 20 or so went smoothly. After that I started experiencing slow downs on loading the models from the cloud. Even small models can take several minutes. I don't know why that is - it could be any number of reasons...

But what I wanted to tell people is that if you are planning on exporting your designs to local files, you should plan on the process taking a lot longer than you might expect. Start early.

Comment

Check the memory usage in Taskman (Windows). You may need to close and restart Fusion 360.

Comment

• Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
                      ^^^ More good info in this video ^^^

Step file export is now back on the table. Also explains some misinformation about what is and is not included.
                      Mike
                      Central Ohio, USA

Comment

• Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
                        Thanks for that link Sam ! Watched the entire video which came across as nothing more than well rehearsed damage control. Lars suggestion of manually editing code and replacing some of the G1's with G0's was a real joke ! Fusion generates multi thousand line code files, manually editing G0's back into the code would be near impossible. I'm done with fusion, already installed something new (that appears better!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

Thanks for that link Sam ! Watched the entire video which came across as nothing more than well rehearsed damage control. ...
                          He lost me when Steve said "Trust me"

Comment

• I didn't read this whole thread...... On my laptop I ran fusion this morning. It said expired or something like that. I was able to draw a part, just a threaded rod for 3D printing. It wouldn't let me export as an .stl file for some reason, but it did allow .igs export. I think it also allowed me to re-register my license to non-commercial type usage as it always has been.

Now it won't load on my other computer. Not sure why.

It's not as if i "need" Fusion. It's easier to draw threads than my other CAD so that's its only real usage for me.

Comment

• Here is a script I ran across on Redit for Fusion360 that exports every file in your account, seemed to work fine for the files I checked.

https://github.com/aconz2/Fusion360Exporter

Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by aolney View Post
                                Here is a script I ran across on Redit for Fusion360 that exports every file in your account, seemed to work fine for the files I checked.

https://github.com/aconz2/Fusion360Exporter

Andy
                                Fantastic ! Saves a ton of work

Comment

Working...
                                X