Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

He lost me when Steve said "Trust me"
    Surely you can trust middle management at a large multinational corporation to have the best interests of Hobbyists at heart.

Comment

• Originally posted by elf View Post

The only part of the change I don't like is not being able to export step files.
      I received an e-mail from them today. They decided to leave STEP files in the free version.

Mike
      WI/IL border, USA

Comment

• Originally posted by DR View Post
        I didn't read this whole thread...... On my laptop I ran fusion this morning. It said expired or something like that. I was able to draw a part, just a threaded rod for 3D printing. It wouldn't let me export as an .stl file for some reason, but it did allow .igs export. I think it also allowed me to re-register my license to non-commercial type usage as it always has been.

Now it won't load on my other computer. Not sure why.

It's not as if i "need" Fusion. It's easier to draw threads than my other CAD so that's its only real usage for me.
        Does your other cad not have a thread function instead of drawing actual threads. If it does then ignore this.While real threads look cool they are processor intensive so most cad programs have a thread command that stores all the info in the file without drawing the actual threads. It may place a GIF or some other graphic to indicate a thread on the model. The first thing I was told was don't get hung up on not having actual threads in the model. They really are not necessary.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• It's hard to 3d print a thread which hasn't been modeled.

Comment

• A lot of you folks sound like a bunch of entitled whiners. Pissing on a company that has offered you free software of a high caliber for years. Take J.Teirs for instance. He is talking about Fusion but doesn't know the program. WTF. Serious users......what is serious to you might not be serious to the company providing you free software. If you are doing serious work then pony up and buy what you need. Alibre as a company is a joke. Max and Jonathon were a joke before 3D Systems bought Alibre. When 3D Systems didn't need Alibre anymore they dumped it. Max and Jonathon were going to be out of a job so they salvaged Alibre from the junk yard basically. They were lousy managers before 3D Systems and were despised by all the resellers that I talked to when I used Alibre. Nothing has changed or do you think they had a miraculous transformation in the brains and integrity department?
            You never could get a straight answer on anything from them.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Hey dude take a lud man ya need to chill out before you stroke out.
              Last edited by loose nut; 10-02-2020, 11:20 AM.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                A lot of you folks sound like a bunch of entitled whiners. Pissing on a company that has offered you free software of a high caliber for years. Take J.Teirs for instance. He is talking about Fusion but doesn't know the program. WTF. .........
                DUDE.....

Since you obviously have not even read the thread you are complaining about, and made no sense at all, let me clue you in on what you missed.

First, I agree with your comment on folks basically whining... the program is free, and anyone could have seen this coming. Many of us said it WOULD come, and not to get used to the free program. I paid for what I use, and I pay for maintenance.

You are very wrong in your assumptions.....I actually have said very little directly about Fusion. I have mostly talked about alternatives to it, and discussed some basic business issues, so when you write of me "talking about fusion but not even using it" you are talking bullcrap and nonsense.

I have said essentially NOTHING about the program. I've speculated about what may happen, or at least what CAN happen when there is a "service" for which nothing is paid.... which is what the free version of Fusion has been and continues to be..... your security with that is based on what you have paid, and since it is "free", that is nothing, so you can expect no consideration to be paid to your convenience and security.

If you think I am whining about it, you are talking as a donkey. I do not care about it, don't want it, and suggested better things for people to use, things which will be stable and usable into the future because you "own" the license to use the program, and all the code is on your machine.

What positive input have YOU added to the discussion, aside from essentially calling me (and others) names?

You saw fit to use me as your example, which I will charitably assume was due to a temporary insanity caused by too much schnapps, but which neither made sense nor had anything to do with reality. That is common for comments made after too much schnapps, so I will overlook it.

😁
                Last edited by J Tiers; 10-01-2020, 02:18 AM.
                1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

• Seriously guys, is ~$300 a year too much for top notch parametric 3D CAD, 3, 4 and 5 axis CAM, and Eagle PCB capture? And a commercial license at that? Most of y'all spend more than that on a single order of metal or cutters.

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                    Seriously guys, is ~$300 a year too much for top notch parametric 3D CAD, 3, 4 and 5 axis CAM, and Eagle PCB capture? And a commercial license at that? Most of y'all spend more than that on a single order of metal or cutters.
                    NO it obviously is not.

The question is how stable that pricing and capability list will be. Given the company and the history, likely not very stable. And that is for the "startup" license, right? A startup makes it or not in a few years, after which it is a stable business, and I think then the price goes up, does it not?

For a business, I would (and do) pay more for less capability, just to ensure the stability into the future. How much more I would be willing to pay, vs what they ask for, is a matter for discussion.
                    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-01-2020, 03:43 AM.
                    1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Seriously guys, is ~$300 a year too much for top notch parametric 3D CAD, 3, 4 and 5 axis CAM, and Eagle PCB capture? And a commercial license at that?
                      J Tiers is right. $300 is way too cheap for a "top notch parametric 3D CAD, 3, 4 and 5 axis CAM, and Eagle PCB capture" licensed for commercial use. Sure, you have a "guaranteed for life" price, but there are ways around that. The price will keep increasing until people are paying what it's worth relative to its competitors. Currently that looks like $3K to $5K per year, maybe double that with the CAM. Is $3K too much for a program that I currently use a few times and year and will never make a cent from? Yes! Is $3K too much for F360 in its current form? Probably not.

Enjoy it while it lasts, but don't act all shocked and surprised when the deal isn't so sweet.

Comment

• I used it cause it was free and it had functions I liked, they removed those functions so I am ceasing to use it. I had figured it would be several years yet before they started doing that. Bit premature if you ask me.

Lets not pretend Autodesk had a single altruistic motive behind giving it for free. They are a corporation, they know what they are doing and I was expecting it. I don't really care, I knew why they gave it away for free, to create market dominance in the long run.

Let's also not pretend that we as customers have to thank Autodesk for giving us a free program, we're only in it for ourselves, to get as much as we possible can for free and when that stops we're outta here. Just like they are only in it for their stock holders. I don't see why that is not acceptable behaviour when it's clearly expected of corporations. This is the world we live in now.

Comment

Seriously guys, is ~$300 a year too much for top notch parametric 3D CAD, 3, 4 and 5 axis CAM, and Eagle PCB capture? And a commercial license at that? Most of y'all spend more than that on a single order of metal or cutters.
                          Short answer, yes its too much. Its not a one time $300, its $300 a year ! In 4 years thats $1200, as much as a lot of hobby users paid for their lathe or mill. I am a hobby user and have not spent $300 in the last 5 years total for cutters or metals. A lot of the people here on the forum are not simply hobby users, many are small commercial users, different situation. If a guy makes even $300 a year with his machines that alone pays for fusion. I and many others don't make a dime with our machines, its strictly a hobby. This is why many look for a low cost or free software.

To put it another way, for a strictly hobby user the $300 a year is better spent on things like cutters and metal with a limited hobby budget and not making any income from it. There is always people with much more disposable income that can spend large sums on their hobby, such is life. If fusion at $300 a year is acceptable then fine, otherwise some will look for lower cost alternatives. I have no complaints, it was fun while it lasted, recent fusion changes were always expected. I moved on to EAA solidworks which I think I will like even more than fusion BUT I don't expect that deal to last forever either. Its only a hobby.
                          Last edited by Sparky_NY; 10-01-2020, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Guess the bottom line is that you either need it or you don't. I've slipped into the rabbit hole of needing it

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

DUDE.....

Since you obviously have not even read the thread you are complaining about, and made no sense at all, let me clue you in on what you missed.

First, I agree with your comment on folks basically whining... the program is free, and anyone could have seen this coming. Many of us said it WOULD come, and not to get used to the free program. I paid for what I use, and I pay for maintenance.

You are very wrong in your assumptions.....I actually have said very little directly about Fusion. I have mostly talked about alternatives to it, and discussed some basic business issues, so when you write of me "talking about fusion but not even using it" you are talking bullcrap and nonsense.

I have said essentially NOTHING about the program. I've speculated about what may happen, or at least what CAN happen when there is a "service" for which nothing is paid.... which is what the free version of Fusion has been and continues to be..... your security with that is based on what you have paid, and since it is "free", that is nothing, so you can expect no consideration to be paid to your convenience and security.

If you think I am whining about it, you are talking as a donkey. I do not care about it, don't want it, and suggested better things for people to use, things which will be stable and usable into the future because you "own" the license to use the program, and all the code is on your machine.

What positive input have YOU added to the discussion, aside from essentially calling me (and others) names?

You saw fit to use me as your example, which I will charitably assume was due to a temporary insanity caused by too much schnapps, but which neither made sense nor had anything to do with reality. That is common for comments made after too much schnapps, so I will overlook it.

😁
                              First off I don't drink any alcohol at all at any time. So once again you are blatantly wrong and making assumptions just like you do with Fusion.
                              For instance: "It looks as if the free version is becoming essentially a "free demo version". Much or most of the essential stuff that makes it useful is being pulled."

Totally wrong but of course you wouldn't know that because you have no clue about Fusion 360. I am not going to go through the whole thread and quote all of your misinformation.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

Totally wrong but of course you wouldn't know that because you have no clue about Fusion 360. I am not going to go through the whole thread and quote all of your misinformation.
                                Well since you did not read the whole thing, you would not know that you quoted essentially the only direct comment on fusion I made, which is simply a reaction to the linked video. That video said that there would be no more exporting of any universal format from the free version, and, if I can separate the comments of others from the video, the CAM and other useful things will be pulled as well.

So with 10 active models or drawings at one time, as the video stated (the FIRST video, not the later one) and no export, only printing, it does seem as if there is "essentially a demo version remaining". Maybe they have walked some of that back, I do not care, am not interested, and will not bother to find out.

The video may have been wrong, but using fusion would not tell you that any better than never having used it would. You had no more "inside info" at that time than contained in the video, so do not act so superior.

You can just keep your crappy comments to yourself. If you were not sipping schnapps when writing that (which I can forgive), then you have no excuse for it whatsoever, you did it knowing you were wrong and being silly. (Again I am taking a charitable view)

So again, I have suggested alternatives that do not have the limitations, what positive input to this thread have you provided? You seem to be limited to calling people names and singling me out for your hate. Have you done anything here that is not just trying to tear people down?

See yah, would not want to be yah. I'm DONE with you.
                                1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                                X