Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have one of these DROs? see attached pictures

Greetings all:

Looking to buy a DRO for my, new to me, lathe. Interested in 3 axis (including the compound) with the ability to do compound vectoring - this is where one enters the compound angle and any motion of the compound is displayed as motion in the other two axis. I could buy a Ditron D80 like the one I put on my mill but am interested to see if there are other slightly lower cost options.

Do any of you have the Easson ES-12B? Click image for larger version  Name:	Easson ES-12B .JPG Views:	0 Size:	23.1 KB ID:	1899779 If so, can I ask you to look in the manual to see if compound vectoring is one of the features in lathe mode? Second DRO is sold under many names - look at the button placement and colors: Click image for larger version  Name:	LCD DRO-many brand names.JPG Views:	0 Size:	16.1 KB ID:	1899780 Again, if so please look at the manual to see if compound vectoring is avaiable in lathe mode.

Here is a manual snippet from the Ditron D80 manual (put a D80 on my Bport) showing compound vectoring: Click image for larger version

Name:	image_12675.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1899781

This message contains (3) images. I've had many issues in the past getting the images to display after being posted with the new forum software. Hopefully it works well and posts all images this time.
    Last edited by aribert; 09-16-2020, 09:01 PM. Reason: had 3 copies of the manual page in my message
    Metro Detroit

Aribert, I have that Easson ES-12B. I'm just heading off to work now but if you don't have any answers by the time I get home I'll have a look for you. Off the top of my head I think the answer is yes but would like to confirm that for you.
    West Sussex UK

Comment

Alan:

Please do look at your ES-12B manual when you get a chance to see if compound vectoring is a feature. BTW, how do you like the Easson DRO? What convinced you to go with the ES-12B? Have you tried / used any other DROs? Do you have magnetic or glass scales?

Aribert
      Metro Detroit

Comment

What the hell is compound vectoring. Google didnt give me a satisfactory answer.

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
          What the hell is compound vectoring? Google didn't give me a satisfactory answer.
          Sometimes we have to use the internal, grey coloured Google instead.

If the compound is at any other than zero or 90 degrees, any movement of it will be a move in both the X- and Z- axis of the machine. The 'smart' DRO will be able to change both axis readings in the correct proportion to account for this.

Comment

Aribert, sorry had hoped to get back to this sooner.

In the lathe mode the DRO has what they call an inclined mode for the generation of tapers or as they call it cones. The manual is not brilliant but sufficient to allow you to work through a process with the manual and the DRO in front of you.

I like it very well. It's a good display and the graphics for functions like bolt hole circles are very good and help keep you straight. I bought magnetic scales and have three axis on my mill and two on the lathe. The display is shared between the two using two 6pole two way switches. This works well although can be fiddly to change settings as I like to run X on the lathe as diameter not radius.

There are more functions for mill use than lathe use but in lathe you could for example have a scale on your top slide (compound) and sum that with either the X scale or Y scale depending on how your compound was set.

Hope this helps.

Alan
            West Sussex UK

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
              ..the lathe mode the DRO has what they call an inclined mode for the generation of tapers or as they call it cones.

There are more functions for mill use than lathe use but in lathe you could for example have a scale on your top slide (compound) and sum that with either the X scale or Y scale depending on how your compound was set.
              I have just perused the Easson manual at: http://www.precisionmatthews.com/wp-...al-Reduced.pdf and the INCL mode is not what he wants.

The ES will not do what he wants.

As you say, a third scale on the compound could sum with EITHER X- OR Z- but this will only be meaningful at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees compound setting and you would have to reconfigure the DRO settings between each pair of angles.

What he wants to do is to set the compound at 30 degrees and then for each 2-unit change of the compound have the X- and Z- change by 1 unit and sqrt(3) units as appropriate. So it is summing on two axes and doing some trigonometry to boot.

Comment

djc, I have to agree with you. In my defence I could not enlarge the second image in Ariberts first post so admit I had to guess as to what it was he required.
                West Sussex UK

Comment

Thank you all for responding. djc is correct in describing the specific function that I am looking for in a DRO. I realize that the resultant X,Y display of the compound is only as good as one can measure the actual angle of the compound.

Now a bit of a lengthy discussion why I am looking for other potential DROs when the one on my mill will already do this function. I decided to splurge on a 4axis DRO for my mill and wanted the feature available where one can treat the Z (knee) and the U axis (quill) as one mathematical number (example raise the quill 5.000 and raise the knee 5.000 has zero effect on the tool to part relationship, and the DRO will display a resultant zero change). There were few low cost DROs that could do that so that was what led me to the Ditron unit with magnetic scales. This DRO is not without flaws or minor issues. One scale had a dead spot - the seller promptly sent a replacement magnetic stripe to install into my scale housing. There were no instructions (tolerances) on how to mount the magnetic scales. No distance specified between reader head and the scale surface. I found some instruction from another manufacturer of magnetic scales with a gap range of 0.5 to 1.2 mm. So I set my read head to scale gap to 0.5mm. It works - most of the time. I had a spot on the x-axis scale where the read head did not read for about 0.005 inches of travel. Every time I crossed that point the error increased by an additional 0.005 inches. To solve this, I have found that the read head needs to be in light contact with the scale surface to be assured of a constant reading of motion. Another minor issue is that the mating connector for the scales (DB9) has a pair of hex standoffs with an internal thread for the scale connector to fasten to. I've never had an issue with this style of a connector before but on this unit the hex **must** be restrained when fastening or unfastening a scale or else the hex will come loose - I would need to open up the DRO to access what ever small fastener secures the hex from the back side. Not a show stopper, not worth it for me to send back to the manufacturer for a warranty repair or replacement but annoying.

So while I splurged for the LCD display DRO for the mill, I intended to buy a basic 2-axis DRO for my new to me lathe. I have a ancient pieced together 2-axis DRO on my current lathe, until I found out about some 3-axis DROs having compound vectoring. In one sense there is a great advantage in having the same model of DRO head on both the lathe and mill - the learning curve is bound to be faster.
                  Metro Detroit

Comment

Originally posted by aribert View Post
                    ...I realize that the resultant X,Y display of the compound is only as good as one can measure the actual angle of the compound.
                    If it exists, a DRO with vector summing and the INCL mode discussed above would allow you to measure the compound angle very well in INCL mode and then enter that measurement in vector sum mode.

A lot of hex stand-offs are female on the bit you see and male on the bit that screws into the case. Loosen it carefully/partly and see if the male part rotates with it or not. Either way, a dab of loctite will secure it.

Comment

djc:
                      Yes my DRO has the INCL mode - though I did not understand how I might use it until I read your message above and then looked at the Easson manual. Thank you very much for posting the link to the manual. It is a more detailed (appears to be better) manual than the one that comes with the Ditron D80. The Ditron manual is 63 pages vs the Easson at 111 pages. Allows for more / better images and more verbiage describing a particular function. I have saved off a copy and will read it shortly (to better understand my DRO! The buttons / sequence may be different between the two DROs but the concepts are the same). I glanced at the non-linear compensation - 2 paragraphs in the Ditron manual, zero illustrations vs 6 pages and numerous illustrations.

aribert
                      Metro Detroit

Comment

Working...
                      X