Fun with math.. and linuxcnc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with math.. and linuxcnc.

with spindle position and a little math... (you can make a polygon on a lathe..) I need to get a girlfriend...

External is easy. I would like to see internal
    Helder Ferreira
    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Was staring at that then the penny or 50p over here dropped, I was looking at a “rose engine” thingy, fascinating cam operated big boy Spirograph ( I loved those things as a ...... oh well still do)
      nice job
      mark

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
        External is easy. I would like to see internal
        I have zero doubts that Sam (skunkworks) could do internal just as well. I think calling any of it easy is a big stretch. The vast majority of cnc controls just can't handle this sort of coordinated movements, linuxcnc that Sam uses is very unique in its capabilities. It takes a guy like Sam to exploit those capabilities though !

Don't hold your breath waiting to see this done with the Centroid Acorn control ! LOL

Way to go Sam !
        Last edited by Sparky_NY; 09-17-2020, 05:30 AM.

Comment

What's the big deal?

The compound on my lathe jumps around like that to. I am not sure it is supposed to and it makes it kind of hard to turn "round things".

It might have something to do with backlash(?).

I don't know. I am a newbie at this stuff.

Comment

Three things I hate. Math

Comment

I particularly enjoyed the commentary. Some other video makers could learn from this example, with never a wasted word.

George B.

Comment

Now add live tooling to the lathe try an internal one

Comment

I have done internal on the mill.. Same difference..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200426_112519.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	1899902

Name:	IMG_20200428_191604.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	1899901

Comment

Tool geometry is very important..

Comment

Harumph. Real machinists to this manually.
                      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

I have zero doubts that Sam (skunkworks) could do internal just as well. I think calling any of it easy is a big stretch. The vast majority of cnc controls just can't handle this sort of coordinated movements, linuxcnc that Sam uses is very unique in its capabilities. It takes a guy like Sam to exploit those capabilities though !

Don't hold your breath waiting to see this done with the Centroid Acorn control ! LOL

Way to go Sam !
                        I'll have to try that with my Centroid M400 control. It seems like my control would do it. It would just be a matter of coordinating 4th axis rotation with tool position which I've done any number of times. Shouldn't take much math, I would lay it out in CAD. Maybe divide the rotation in degree increments with an associated tool position.

Here's a part of similar complexity, hand coded. Showing tool position needing coordination with rotation angle done on my Centroid control. In my case the tool was a 60 degree vee wheel cutter rotating in the mills vertical spindle with the work between centers in the 4th axis..

I assume the Acorn could also do this. If it won't I'll have to change my plans of retrofitting an old CNC with Acorn and Clearpath servos.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Flutes 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	46.7 KB ID:	1900040
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by DR; 09-18-2020, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Yea, but the OP showed a SQUARE. Those 90° corners will add some to the difficulty level.

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
                          I have done internal on the mill.. Same difference..

Name:	IMG_20200426_112519.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	1899902

Name:	IMG_20200428_191604.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	1899901
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

The outside of a square shape is easy on a rose engine. The inside is quite a bit harder

Name:	20200913_092631_001c.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	1900052Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_092540c.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	4.81 MB
ID:	1900053

Comment

I am the op - that was the same process - just 6 sided. It can also do 4 sided.(n-sided)

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                              Yea, but the OP showed a SQUARE. Those 90° corners will add some to the difficulty level.

Comment

Working...
                              X