No announcement yet.

What size lathe chuck key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you guys know anyone in the last 15 years that bought a new N American English, or German chuck for a home lathe ? I DONT...
    THE 10 inch Victor my lathe came with in 87 has held up real well.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
      My Sheldon lathe has 2 chucks with the same size jaw tightening. The key measures .392. What size chuck key is this?
      Thanks
      You state what size the chuck key is,
      and then ask what size the chuck key is.

Am I the crazy one?

-Doozer
      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Am I the crazy one?

-Doozer
        How many apples are there in a "Half Dozen" ?? :-)
        ...lew...

Comment

Am I the crazy one?

-Doozer
          Have at it but that's sort of a troll comment. I'm sure you know what I was asking as everyone else was. Tell me the point of your post anyway. Nothing else to do? That's my hunch.

Comment

Always remember the magic number.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
              Always remember the magic number. 25.4
              Always remember, '42 is the answer to the “ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything."'

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Always remember, '42 is the answer to the “ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything."'
                A deep thought

Comment

And this is how, it's 10mm, it's had a chuck change....... gets to several pages. .

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                    And this is how, it's 10mm, it's had a chuck change....... gets to several pages. .
                    A thing of beauty,

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post

Have at it but that's sort of a troll comment. I'm sure you know what I was asking as everyone else was. Tell me the point of your post anyway. Nothing else to do? That's my hunch.
                      Ok, I apologize. Seriously, my brain could not wrap itself around what you were asking.
                      I know Jacobs drill chucks have a number for their chuck keys, like K34 or something.
                      But lathe chucks, just having a square, is easy to measure a and make one if
                      you have a milling machine.
                      But I am not picking, really. I just totally did not understand what you were asking and
                      really what answers you were wanting to get. No hard feelings intended.

But tell me for real.... What were you asking? I truly don't know.
                      Someone else, tell me what Challenger was asking. Please.
                      Sometimes I feel like one of those alien people on that TV show
                      Third Rock From The Sun or Mork from Ork. I really can not
                      figure these earthlings out.

-D
                      Last edited by Doozer; 09-17-2020, 08:07 PM.
                      DZER

Comment

I suppose something on the order of "it's this size in thousandths, what is the standard name for that size (if any)?".
                        1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Like the standard name for 2 is a couple, or is it a pair?
                          and the standard name for 12 is a dozen ???
                          Wasn't 392 the biggest hemi engine ?
                          -D
                          DZER

Comment

Like the standard name for 2 is a couple, or is it a pair?
                            and the standard name for 12 is a dozen ???
                            Wasn't 392 the biggest hemi engine ?
                            -D
                            More like is it a called a #3, or by the fractional inch (25/32"), or what........

I'd not have worried about that, as both 10mm and 25/32 are so close as to be interchangeable since the chuck keys are rarely very close fits. And I'd make another if I wanted it.
                            1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

It may be easy to make one if the key is the male side and the chuck is the female side, but I have a chuck where the opposite is true. When I examined the key it showed that a slot was milled sideways in it and then a plug was brased(?) in the open side. It was a real nice job and you have to look close to see the added piece. And it shows no signs of any problems (cracks) so it seems to be a good way to do it.

All my other chucks have male keys. And I have no idea what size they are.

Ok, I apologize. Seriously, my brain could not wrap itself around what you were asking.
                              I know Jacobs drill chucks have a number for their chuck keys, like K34 or something.
                              But lathe chucks, just having a square, is easy to measure a and make one if
                              you have a milling machine.
                              But I am not picking, really. I just totally did not understand what you were asking and
                              really what answers you were wanting to get. No hard feelings intended.

But tell me for real.... What were you asking? I truly don't know.
                              Someone else, tell me what Challenger was asking. Please.
                              Sometimes I feel like one of those alien people on that TV show
                              Third Rock From The Sun or Mork from Ork. I really can not
                              figure these earthlings out.

-D
                              Paul A.
                              SE Texas

Make it fit.
                              You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Is that one also a "knuckle buster"? one where the square shanks stick out past the surface? Some are recessed, others stick out. I have one chuck that is a "knuckle buster" and the rest are not, and all use the square recess (but two sizes of them).

The knuckle buster is now a drill press vise.
                                1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                                X