What size lathe chuck key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Ok, I apologize. Seriously, my brain could not wrap itself around what you were asking.
    I know Jacobs drill chucks have a number for their chuck keys, like K34 or something.
    But lathe chucks, just having a square, is easy to measure a and make one if
    you have a milling machine.
    But I am not picking, really. I just totally did not understand what you were asking and
    really what answers you were wanting to get. No hard feelings intended.

But tell me for real.... What were you asking? I truly don't know.
    Someone else, tell me what Challenger was asking. Please.
    Sometimes I feel like one of those alien people on that TV show
    Third Rock From The Sun or Mork from Ork. I really can not
    figure these earthlings out.

-D
    I was trying to find out if there was a "special" designation for this size key. I was blinded by the notion that it was American made and didn't even think about considering it might be metric.
    I purchased a 7/16 that I will mill to .392.
    Thanks

Comment

I would mill it to fit the chucks, unless the 0.392" one is a perfect fit.

Comment

I was able to see the make of the 4 jaw 8" chuck is Cushman. Why would an American chuck have a metric size?

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
          I was able to see the make of the 4 jaw 8" chuck is Cushman. Why would an American chuck have a metric size?
          Much of the US has been metric for quite some time. Particularly, if you want to bid on government contracts then everything must be metric, since 1986. Also, for export reasons.

Comment

Welcome to the present, any manufacturer can employ the inch or metric systems as they choose or a mixture of both, a product made in the US does not mean that its dimensions are in inches.
            A majority of annular ball bearings are manufactured in metric dimensions for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

Welcome to the present, any manufacturer can employ the inch or metric systems as they choose or a mixture of both, a product made in the US does not mean that its dimensions are in inches.
              A majority of annular ball bearings are manufactured in metric dimensions for instance.
              And with ball bearings it is not just "present". IIRC They have been quite often in metric dimensions even long time ago.
              Tapered roller bearings then on the other hand in imperial sizes.

Dimensions probably after the original inventors (SKF Sweden vs. Timken USA)

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

And with ball bearings it is not just "present". IIRC They have been quite often in metric dimensions even long time ago.
                Tapered roller bearings then on the other hand in imperial sizes.

Dimensions probably after the original inventors (SKF Sweden vs. Timken USA)
                Exactly, metric dimension annular ball bearings have been predominant for the last 50 or more years.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Much of the US has been metric for quite some time. Particularly, if you want to bid on government contracts then everything must be metric, since 1986. Also, for export reasons.
                  Sure but I bet this 8" 4-jaw is 50-60 years old?

Comment

Sure but I bet this 8" 4-jaw is 50-60 years old?
                    Yeah, you got me there -- if it really is that old then I got no idea WTF is up with that?

Comment

I just made a chuck key out of 1144 for an old Union chuck that was .218" square.
                      I heat treated and tempered it to 50Rc. I fit it to the chuck. It was a good fit, about
                      .001" clearance fit. The square grew a few tenths from hardening, and now it still
                      fits, right on the money type fit in this case. A little project, but now I can use
                      my chuck.

-Doozer
                      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                        I just made a chuck key out of 1144 for an old Union chuck that was .218" square.
                        I heat treated and tempered it to 50Rc. I fit it to the chuck. It was a good fit, about
                        .001" clearance fit. The square grew a few tenths from hardening, and now it still
                        fits, right on the money type fit in this case. A little project, but now I can use
                        my chuck.

-Doozer

I'd make my own but don't have suitable material or HT experience. Well done.

Comment

Thanks !
                          The reason I hardened the square drive part
                          is because the size is so small, and weak.
                          A square that small made out of soft steel
                          would twist off for sure.

A side note, I thought you were going to make
                          your chuck key. That is why I could not understand
                          why the size you measured, that you were asking
                          what size it was. So you were looking for a
                          NOMINAL SIZE or a TRADE SIZE.
                          If you said you were looking to buy a chuck key
                          that would have better framed the information you
                          were trying to shake out.

-Doozer
                          DZER

Comment

We have to make two for the Atlas 12 x 24, a 10mm one for the 160mm Chinese chuck, and a bigger one for the 5" Taylor chuck which is also going with it. The Taylor looks like it might need a 1/2" square one

Comment

How tough does the square need to be?

Comment

All it has to do is not get torn up by the socket, and not get twisted off by you. That's actually not a hard requirement, since one normally does not use a cheater bar on chuck keys (Unless you are a Russian and in Russia).
                                1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Working...
                                X