Question for New Hampshire machinists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for New Hampshire machinists

Just a quick question - where in the Nashua / Manchester area do you get your metals? I have 2 projects on board that will require more steel the makes sense to get at TSC / Big Box / etc.
    Kevin

More tools than sense.

When I was working in that area a while back we were getting from Yarde Metals. They had a place over in Pelham.

Comment

I live just south of the border from Nashua. Yarde in Pelham has all sorts of metals and is one option as mentioned above, decent if you need stuff other than steel. I don't think that location has a walk-in desk, but if you call or email them with what you need, they will quote you prices and sell to you on a credit card with no problems.

If it is just steel that you need, Lowell Iron & Steel (In Lowell, MA, amazingly enough!) is another option. Very old company and it's almost worth going there just to see the shop, it's like stepping back 100 years. Nice folks to deal with and they have no problem dealing with small quantity hobbyist type people like us. Tjis is kind of my go-to for such stuff.

Welch Welding in N.Chelmsford, MA also sells steel, mostly fabrication type stuff, plate, tube, beam shapes, etc. They will deal with small buyers.

A bit further away but not much, there is another place in Haverhill similar to Lowell I&S, I have to look them up again, if you wish I can find the name for you if you want to check them out.

To the north, there is Mill Steel Co. in Manchester, NH. No idea if they deal with walk-ins but used to buy stuff from them for a company I worked for years back. May be worth a phone call.

Comment

What are you looking for?
        It would be neat if there was a northeast machinist group that could get together and socialize, barter, etc.

Comment

Cohen's in Concord is my source and they have cut off spot outside where there are some real bargains. Everything there is flat rate by the pound. Pick what you want and put it on the scale and pay. It is like the candy store for me. Inside they have a full range of steel both hot and cold rolled. They are a full service steel supplier to many industries and still treat me, a hobbyist, with courtesy, unlike many other business suppliers. I always stop there when I am in town. Really nice people.
          Peter
          Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

Haverhill steel in, you guessed it, Haverhill mass
            the nice thing for us hobbyists is that they are (were?) open Saturday mornings.
            they don’t do precision cutting/etc
            No credit cards
            they have a scrap area too

Comment

Originally posted by tom in nh View Post
              It would be neat if there was a northeast machinist group that could get together and socialize, barter, etc.
              The Guild of New Hampshire Woodworkers has a metal working subgroup that does machining and welding. Until the Covid thing came along we were active with get togethers and demonstrations. The guilds website is http://www.gnhw.org

Peter
              Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

I agree! I'm sitting on about 2800 lbs. of steel blocks I'd be happy to trade. I'll check out GNHW - sounds interesting. Unfortunately, with current COVID situation, now isn't really the time to go making new friends

I use Northstar Steel and Aluminum in Manchester and Haverhill Steel because I work in Andover and Haverhill MA. The owner of Haverhill steel recently retired and sold the business. It's been moved down the street a little ways and I don't believe they are open on Saturdays anymore. Before selling the business, they had a fire sale and was selling everything dirt cheap. I picked up several hundred feet of angle iron for next to nothing.

Northstar Steel and Aluminum is a newer supplier for me. They seem to have a great selection and will do precise cuts, but they charge something like $10 a cut. They also do CNC flame cutting and blanchard grinding. No issues with small orders, they accept credit cards, and getting loaded is a cinch. They have a drive through warehouse and you just pull up and they load you with an gantry crane (unless its small enough to be hand carry, obviously). Everyone I've dealt with were very friendly and relaxed. When I need some really big stuff, this is where I go. It's pretty neat to see their inventory; last time I was there they had 10' long 18" diameter aluminum rounds among other things.

I'll have to check out Cohen's for odd-ball stuff. The pay-by-the-pound can be a real bargain at times.

Comment

One project requires 72 linear feet of 1-1/2" angle. The other requires 130 linear feet of 1 inch square tube.
                  Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Originally posted by KJ1I View Post

One project requires 72 linear feet of 1-1/2" angle. The other requires 130 linear feet of 1 inch square tube.
                    Wow, a bit more than I could help you with.
                    Mils Metals in Manchester might be your best bet.
                    Good luck.
                    Tom

Comment

"Originally posted by tom in nh View Post

It would be neat if there was a northeast machinist group that could get together and socialize, barter, etc. "

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

I agree! I'm sitting on about 2800 lbs. of steel blocks I'd be happy to trade. I'll check out GNHW - sounds interesting. Unfortunately, with current COVID situation, now isn't really the time to go making new friends
                      Thats funny cause I am sitting on 2200lbs of 4140ph rod drops. Range from 1-1/2 to 2-1/8" dia to 9-11 inches long. Perfect for a home shop machinist. Thats why I bought it and had the USPS deliver 100 boxes of this stuff to my house. When they screwed up years ago and allowed me to ship 75lbs of steel for five bucks or whatever it was.

Its a nice metal but their are only so many things you can make. And my neighbors dont even know what a lathe is, they are very nice though.

I have a friend in Maine somewhere. She would know about metal dealers up in the cold north. Its good to have contacts all over the place IMO. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I had used Mill Metals in Manchester several years ago for the materials for my tower installation. When I looked for them recently on the web all I could find was Mill Metals Recycling and Demolition. After your suggestions, I dug a little deeper and found Mill Metals and Mill Metals Recycling are two sides of the same coin. One is at 52 Maple, the other is at 62 Maple. I'll give them a call.
                        Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Here is another: Choice Metals, 36 Cote av. off Daniel Plummer rd, Goffstown. A huge selection of shorts ans cutoffs as well as full lenghts and good stuff like 12l14 and aluminum and brass and other good stuff. I looked in once but did not need anything at that time. A machinist friend gets all his stock there.

https://www.choicemet.com/
                          Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

Working...
                          X