• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probable machinery scam

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tl...198670811.html

The ad links to

machineinventory.shop

A suspicious-looking website that has no brick & mortar address listed, and a Connecticut area code.

According to PM, this site is associated with Al Babin:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-babin-374377/

Sounds like Al. It's been 20 years or so since he appeared on eBay, I think. I received a chuck from him without any problems many years ago. Several friends were far less lucky.

On the other hand, the Logan looks far too clean for Al. He's not known for nice looking paint or decent photos. Or, at least he wasn't.
    I cut it off twice; it's still too short
    Oregon, USA

Comment

My buddy got a call from one of those SS fraudulent activity scams today. They already had some of his banking info and then started getting belligerent and threatened arrest when he wised up and asked a few questions himself. He hung up and immediately got a call from our local PD non-emergency line. That woman told him she had a n arrest warrant on him but sounded distinctly middle eastern so he hung up and hit redial. The local PD dispatch desk answered and said no they had not called and had no warrant. They sent a car to have him fill out a report and said another guy in town lost $5k the other day to the same thing.

Its just amazing how they can hijack a PD dept. phone # that way and it comes up on the phone ID as such.

The Garrote was invented centuries ago with scammers like that in mind.

I remember Al Babin all to well. Another pal in NJ lost big bucks to him back in the ‘90s.
      Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
      9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

They've been advertising down here for a few months now.
        As far as I know Babin is still in Plainville CT.
        Went in there once for tooling and watched a kid "restoring" a lathe with WD40 and steel wool.
        GMB is the only one to trust around here as far as I know and I don't know all that much.
        Len

Comment

I had some dealings with a Paul Babbin, but they were good. Any relation??

JL...............

Comment

Hahahaaa! Ol Babin still up to his tricks?

I have been on ebey 20 years. I have dealt with him back in the day. Actually never had any issues.

Babin... Goof ball... lol

Good lookin out Mark... JR
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Paul Babin is NO RELATION and Paul is cream of the crop if you want your Hardinge restored...restored is the wrong word. If you want it better than new.

Comment

I'm impressed the infamous Ali Babin is A) still alive and B) not incarcerated in one of New Jersey's finer penitentiaries. The guy has hutzpah.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post
                  Its just amazing how they can hijack a PD dept. phone # that way and it comes up on the phone ID as such.
                  Caller ID spoofing is quite simple for voice over IP calls. They can display whatever number they want, including your own. They aren't hijacking the original number. It's just some information that gets sent when a call is initiated.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                    I had some dealings with a Paul Babbin, but they were good. Any relation??

JL...............
                    Paul Babin,no relation to rip-off-Al.

Paul Babin runs Babin Machine Tool out of Brockton, MA. A highly resopected machine tool rebuilder/improver for Hardinge, Bridgeport, etc:

http://www.babinmachine.com/index.php?

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post

Caller ID spoofing is quite simple for voice over IP calls. They can display whatever number they want, including your own. They aren't hijacking the original number. It's just some information that gets sent when a call is initiated.
                      That's right, I get calls from scammers...... mostly no one on the other end but names and numbers of local people are sometimes displayed.

JL..................

Comment

Originally posted by morsetaper2 View Post

Paul Babin,no relation to rip-off-Al.

Paul Babin runs Babin Machine Tool out of Brockton, MA. A highly resopected machine tool rebuilder/improver for Hardinge, Bridgeport, etc:

http://www.babinmachine.com/index.php?
                        How ironic that they both have the same last name and are both in the machine business. It's to bad for Paul as I'm sure he's taken some slack for Al's dirty dealings. My two transactions with Paul were both 100% and he was good at replying to emails also.

JL.....................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          How ironic that they both have the same last name and are both in the machine business. It's to bad for Paul as I'm sure he's taken some slack for Al's dirty dealings. My two transactions with Paul were both 100% and he was good at replying to emails also.

JL.....................
                          There has to be a connection there.

Location and the unique name??

Poor Paul probably doesnt want there to be one JR
                          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

If memory serve me correctly, when Joe Bergamo at Plaza Machinery died, Al Babin opened up an ebay account using either the same name or something very similar. For all that has been said, he is the lowest of the ow life!
                            Peter
                            Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by CPeter View Post
                              If memory serve me correctly, when Joe Bergamo at Plaza Machinery died, Al Babin opened up an ebay account using either the same name or something very similar. For all that has been said, he is the lowest of the ow life!
                              Peter
                              Yes I remember that. He is a despicable creature.

I have been to All Babin's place in Plainville, CT on one of my treks into New England for machine goodies quite a few years ago. Didn't buy anything. Things were a bit of disarray.

Comment

Working...
                              X