need information on the DPS from myung youn elictric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need information on the DPS from myung youn elictric

I just bought a new to me LeBlond Regal lathe. It has a three phase motor, and like most of us I only have single phase. I all ready have a Hardinge mill running on a VFD. So I am familiar with that set up, However, I believe it is more complicated than I need for this machine. I have seen a digital converter on ( not to be confused with rotary converter ) Amazon. but need a lot more info before I risk an expensive motor. The unit is a DPS by Myung Youn Electric co. Is anyone familiar with this type of converter, or know who I could talk to for info.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Rogee07,

You are going to hear from both sides of the fence on a VFD or not even for a lathe. The VFD advantage even for the lathe is speed control, reversing, and stopping, yes they come with more settings but you also are not obligated to use them either.
    As to what you have asked about the DPS is a static phase control. It does as their web site says size according to the motor to be applied to, so if you look at the web site and collect all the data they offer to figure out your application, you should be fine running your lathe using one of these. I do not know the price of these, but do look at a other static phase convertors to compare.

https://docplayer.net/128656014-D-p-...cs-co-ltd.html

Now if you are electrically inclined you also can build your own static phase convertor, as its' just a few electronic parts and a box to keep it all in.

Keep us posted as to what you end up doing, as we all can learn from each others experiences.

TX
    Mr fixit
    Chris

Comment

With this model of lathe, does the motor start and stop with the spindle or is spindle rotation controlled by a clutch? If the motor starts and stops with the spindle then definitely go with a VFD. If there is a clutch control then any good quality static converter will work The only drawback with the static types is a slight reduction in motor output power, but that is seldom an issue on quality lathes like the LeBlond which tend to have a bit more power than needed. No experience with the DPS, but my old Phase-O-Matic has been trouble free for many, many years.

Comment

A VFD is fine. Just make sure that that brand, which is not a popular one, is NOT just another name under which "Huanyang" VFDs are being sold.

Some have good luck with the various Huanyang units (and brand names), but others have had them fail quickly, or have had problems just tryig to read the very poor manual that has been supplied. Also, some of the other names for Huanyang are ones made for special purposes, and are not "general purpose" VFDs.

Buyer beware.

Teco, Invertek, and most any Japanese VFD are OK, among others.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

I have run a three-phase motor on my lathe from a single-phase mains supply via a VFD for a few years now, with no problems and several advantages. Likewise my mill/drill. Likewise the winch on my antenna tower.

Buy a cheap VFD through Ali Express. The rating should equal or exceed the motor's power rating.

The vital thing to remember is that ALL the switching must happen on the single-phase side, not the three-phase. There must be no switching at all between the output of the VFD and the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by rogee07 View Post
            I just bought a new to me LeBlond Regal lathe. It has a three phase motor, and like most of us I only have single phase. I all ready have a Hardinge mill running on a VFD. So I am familiar with that set up, However, I believe it is more complicated than I need for this machine. I have seen a digital converter on ( not to be confused with rotary converter ) Amazon. but need a lot more info before I risk an expensive motor. The unit is a DPS by Myung Youn Electric co. Is anyone familiar with this type of converter, or know who I could talk to for info.
            Thanks in advance for any help.
            Nothing digital about their unit. It's no more than a static phase converter that uses a start capacitor connected to the one of the three phases to get the motor started. A Phase-a-Matic made in the far East. Save your money.

Comment

The vital thing to remember is that ALL the switching must happen on the single-phase side, not the three-phase. There must be no switching at all between the output of the VFD and the motor.
              Actually to add a little to that. It is much better to let the VFD do the switching and only kill the power to the VFD when you are finished. Every time you shut the VFD down and repower it there is a power surge into it. Most decent VFDs have the means to add an inexpensive remote control setup. This is low voltage and easily built for under $20.
              Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

A question for tom_d,
                I have read several times on the net, about the start load problem with a big lathe on a static phase converter. In many years of hobby machining I have never machined anything big enough to tax even a 10" lathe. This lathe is big for a hobby lathe, but I don't think it would be considered big by industry standards. I really didn't need anything this big, but it was just something I have always wanted. So my question is have people been able to use a 13" lathes doing light work with Static Phase converters?

I know that most would recommend a VFD, but it would be much easier in my situation to use a static phase converter. I will take the advise given and buy an american made static phase converter over the DPS on Amazon, if I buy at all.

Comment

Working...
                X