A fold-away buffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fold-away buffer

Problem with images. Recreated as the 5th & 6th replies.

Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 10-07-2020, 11:02 AM.

first four photos aren't showing up, even though I'm logged in. Are others seeing all the photos?

Comment

nope, same here ...empty spaces for first four pix.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I like that. Way better to my mind than the roll-away tables, or the flip-top systems with several replaceable machines in one place (I give those good credit for ingenuity, I just would not like them in my shop.)

The flip up idea looks like it is really quick to set up after deciding you need to use it.... basically just flip it down making sure the belt is on the pulleys. THAT kind of system I can get along with just fine.

The wheel change looks effective, and easy to use, too.

I like it!

I do have a question... it looks like the shelf is attached to the wall. Do you get extra motor noise etc from the wall being a sounding board? I've wanted to do that for stability, but I do not need the wall acting like a huge drum-head.
        Last edited by J Tiers; 09-20-2020, 10:51 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1799.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	1900611

I have a crowded shop & new tools have to be crammed in. The belt grinder was designed to be small, the wire wheel on the 2nd grinder is used by pivoting the grinder 90* on a lazy-Susan bearing. The new buffer extends out to get space around the buff for work maneuvering.

Name:	IMG_1800.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1900612 --- Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1803.JPG
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1900613

But it blocks the 1st grinder, so the buffer folds away when not in use:

Name:	IMG_1802.JPG
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	1900614

It works well - there is great access when extended & transitioning is really easy, although the belt does have to be guided onto the pulleys.

(Continued)

Comment

The folding away is a fine feature, but the quick change wheels are its best feature.

The spindle on the buff end is a stub with a tapped hole:

Name:	IMG_1796.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	774.2 KB
ID:	1900617

Over this is a sleeve loctited in place:

Name:	IMG_E1805.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	839.9 KB
ID:	1900618

And the wheels are mounted on short holders that slip into the sleeve and are held by a couple of threads:

Name:	IMG_1797.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	1900619 --- Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1798.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1900620

So to change a wheel I give the in-place one a spin to unthread it & slide it out. The new one slides in & is attached with a spin. Boy did I use to hate changing wheels by backing those nuts down the long spindle and down it again to tighten.

I have a couple of new wheels on order & I'll have one dedicated to each compound grit. So that the progression through the compounds will just be quick wheel changes & not raking off old compound to apply new.

Thanks for watchin'
            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              ...I like it!
              Thanks!

I do have a question... it looks like the shelf is attached to the wall. Do you get extra motor noise etc from the wall being a sounding board? I've wanted to do that for stability, but I do not need the wall acting like a huge drum-head.
              I haven't noticed extra noise. But now that you mention it, I probably will. It will probably drive me crazy.

Comment

I like it.
                It speaks to me.
                Looks like plenty of access to buff/sand a part.

-D
                DZER

Comment

Nice job very well thought out and built thank you for postings

Comment

A clever idea for saving space.

Comment

very neat and clever ideas all round. One day I will copy your belt sander too, it's just not high enough on the list yet

Not getting the "crowded shop" thing though, looks like you have loads of space in there!

Comment

the quick change wheels are its best feature.
                        Yes! Gotta do that ...some day, hopefully.
                        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Working...
                        X