Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best and Worst Warranties

None of these are etched in stone...

90 day Harbor Freight. Bring your item and receipt to the local store. Exchange ore refund. (This may no longer be true)

Grizzly. We'll send you parts and you can fix it yourself.

Ridgid Home Depot. Pre-register your tool within so many days. If it fails package it and ship it to us (even if our warranty center is attached to your local store), and if you have dotted all the Is and crossed all the Ts. we will fix or replace it.

~~~~

I have experience with all of these. That's pretty much how it goes, except Harbor Freight is now telling people that if they have a problem call the phone number on their receipt. They might be shifting over to the Home Depot model.

Grizzly is always a day behind when it comes to figuring out problems, but they will send you parts or you can send your item back. I have not experienced having to send something back.

Ok, forget the Home Depot Ridgid lifetime warranty. It doesn't say on the outside of the package 'must pre-register to actually get warranty,' but when I had a warranty issue I did everything they said I had to do to get my warranty and finally gave up. I quit buying Ridgid Home Depot tools.

~~~~

Others to note. Had a Daiwa reel fall apart once. I sent them an email and they sent me enough parts to repair three reels. No questions asked. (I did explain it to begin with.)

I had a big fish hit a Spro frog and that blew out my frog. I told Spro and htey said, send us the bad frog and we will send you several of them for the trouble.

Mercury Marine. Months to fix anything under warranty, but they will fix it eventually. Two new outboards. One 1 at 57 hrs and one bad out of the crate. (Spun cylinder sleeve) Also a trolling motor. (Motorguide is Mercury)

~~~~

What are your warranty experiences?
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post

Ok, forget the Home Depot Ridgid lifetime warranty. It doesn't say on the outside of the package 'must pre-register to actually get warranty,' but when I had a warranty issue I did everything they said I had to do to get my warranty and finally gave up. I quit buying Ridgid Home Depot tools.

What are your warranty experiences?
    Yeah. I hoped on the Ridgid bandwagon years ago when they first came out. I had a 1/2" VSR drill, angle grinder, compound miter saw, table saw, palm nailer, and trim router. The drill was the first item purchased and I registered for the warranty. Then the warranty changed and I had to re-register the product a year later. Then I bought the angle grinder and they went to another new warranty thing and I had to setup a new account and re-register both tools. Pretty soon, it felt like every time I bought a product, I had to jump through a million hoops to get it registered. My BIL had a cordless Ridgid drill and the variable speed trigger failed. Getting service was a huge PITA and required sending it to California on his own dime. I've given up on them.

Luckily (and knock on wood!) I haven't had too many warranty claims. The last one I made was for my Leatherman. I was using the knife to cut and pry some packing foam off of a plywood crate when the blade snapped. I paid something like $2 to ship it back to them and they replaced the knife and sharpened the scalloped knife before returning it to me. Super easy and fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

Yeah. I hoped on the Ridgid bandwagon years ago when they first came out. I had a 1/2" VSR drill, angle grinder, compound miter saw, table saw, palm nailer, and trim router. The drill was the first item purchased and I registered for the warranty. Then the warranty changed and I had to re-register the product a year later. Then I bought the angle grinder and they went to another new warranty thing and I had to setup a new account and re-register both tools. Pretty soon, it felt like every time I bought a product, I had to jump through a million hoops to get it registered. My BIL had a cordless Ridgid drill and the variable speed trigger failed. Getting service was a huge PITA and required sending it to California on his own dime. I've given up on them.

Luckily (and knock on wood!) I haven't had too many warranty claims. The last one I made was for my Leatherman. I was using the knife to cut and pry some packing foam off of a plywood crate when the blade snapped. I paid something like $2 to ship it back to them and they replaced the knife and sharpened the scalloped knife before returning it to me. Super easy and fast.

Compare that to delta faucets. Call them on the phone and they send a new faucet Or the parts you request. No receipt, no proof of purchase, nothing at all.

Comment

When I use to scuba dive my regulator had a life time warranty!
        How does that work if it failed?

Comment

Originally posted by portlandRon View Post
          When I use to scuba dive my regulator had a life time warranty!
          How does that work if it failed?
          Well, you should have no complaints. By definition that life time warranty was valid. It had lasted all your life time.

But then I'm sure you'd be diving with a buddy who's equipped with an octopus second stage.

My first training dive, the hose broke away from the second stage shortly after getting on the bottom with a bunch of students flailing around stirring up silt. Suddenly I was breathing salt water ...whoops! Fortunately I soon saw the loose hose end and put two and two together. Even more fortunately one of each student pair had an octopus, and THAT STUDENT WAS ME!

One of those mishaps that was a blessing in disguise ...that bit of problem solving gave me a lot of confidence thereafter
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Lee Valley Tools has always been one of the best, didnt like a tool I bought and used for 6 months returned for a full refund no questions asked.
            Bushnell Scopes, problem with it, sent it back they sent me new one year later.
            Last edited by redlee; 09-21-2020, 08:15 PM.
            Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

Can't remember what it was- one of the 'warranties' I read said warranty not valid if used.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Over the years of buying tools and other items with warranties, one of the best and most satisfying was Craftsman tools, back when they was not made in China. You broke one of their tools, you took it into a Sears store and they replaced it NO QUESTIONS ASK. Proto was was another. Those days have been long gone. The next best warranty I had to deal with was Vasque boots. You emailed them, they sent you a new pair and you sent the old ones back in the box the replacement boots came in, no questions ask.
                Now days the warranty of most items is just a ????????????????????????? don't count on it. Buy with the risk that if it does not meet your expectations or fails, your problelm.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                Oregon Coast

Comment

Maytag - washer was warrantied for 6 years. At the 5 year point the machine stopped working. They have a pretty good self diagnostics that showed a bad main motor code. Yes, the motor is free under the warranty, but there is a labor charge not covered, and the travel time charge, and they won't replace the motor without replacing the very overpriced belt and hoses. Total was a little over $400 to fix the "free under warranty" motor. My mom lucked out and found the same washer in the store on a 40% off sale so just bought a new one for $490.

Oddly I an not impressed with the new Maytag "warranty".

Steve

Comment

Costco --->3 years

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
                      Over the years of buying tools and other items with warranties, one of the best and most satisfying was Craftsman tools, back when they was not made in China. You broke one of their tools, you took it into a Sears store and they replaced it NO QUESTIONS ASK. Proto was was another. Those days have been long gone. The next best warranty I had to deal with was Vasque boots. You emailed them, they sent you a new pair and you sent the old ones back in the box the replacement boots came in, no questions ask.
                      Now days the warranty of most items is just a ????????????????????????? don't count on it. Buy with the risk that if it does not meet your expectations or fails, your problelm.
                      AMEN and amen. Craftsman and Kenmore and Maytag... the list goes on and on.... funny thing about it is, the best tools etc. that I have ever had, never needed their warrantees because they were built by people who cared about it. That went out the window years ago, and the almighty dollar came in by the way.

Comment

Had a Milwaukee M18 drill die after 3 years. The warranty is 5 years. I went online, filled out the repair order, i could not find the receipt, but it still was within warranty by the date code. They gave me a pre paid label to print, and I sent it in. 2 weeks later, a brand new drill showed up at my door. I have a few M18 tools, and Milwaukee will definitly be what I buy next purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
                          Costco --->3 years
                          Tried that warranty on a TV once. Goes through a 3rd party and their job is to deny all claims. Blame the antenna, DVD, cable, operator anything, but deny claims.

Mike

Comment

Well this explains the Ridgid warranty. Lifetime warranty even on tool batteries sounded too good.

Around here there is some laws that limit playing with stupid tricks. Minimum guarantee is 2 years in consumer market, lifetime warranty is not permitted as it is often misleading or the company has gone belly up anyways. 25 year warranty is ok as it is clearly defined.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

Around here there is some laws that limit playing with stupid tricks. Minimum guarantee is 2 years in consumer market, lifetime warranty is not permitted as it is often misleading or the company has gone belly up anyways. 25 year warranty is ok as it is clearly defined.
                              I think that is a pretty good system you have there.

Sometimes lifetime warranties are bogus.

I just had to deal with one last week. My Firemagic BBQ has cast stainless steel burners, lifetime warrent. The sheet metal SS burners they sell are not..

Well, one burnt a hole in the end, turns out to be a casting fault IMO.

I call rh peterson the parent company and tell them my story. They ask for a receipt, cant find it. So they ask for pics, I send 10 good ones.

They send me two brand new burners no more questions asked. The burners to buy are expensive. Needless to say I recommend them JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                              X