Has anyone installed a dashcam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone installed a dashcam?

With the nutty drivers around here, I am seriously thinking of installing one as self-protection if they cause an accident. Without witnesses or other evidence, it becomes just a "difference of opinion" and nothing gets solved. No fault assigned, and everybody gets paid by their own Insurance Co, with the natural boost in rates following.

As "other evidence", the dashcam seems pretty darn good.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I have two. Wish I had one on my motorcycle when a big turkey decided to fly across the road just as I was coming around the corner. Still don't know how I missed it. Would have been great to have a video of that.

As far as evidence, it's pretty irrefutable. Have a couple of police officer friends and they love it when one of the accident participants had a dash cam.

It's also pretty much the only defense you have in the "swoop and squat" attempt at insurance fraud.

Steve

Comment

I have two. One in the car and a front/rear in the truck. Both are Viofo units. Pretty good quality videos. The truck unit has a separate camera for the rear view. It also records to different files on the front camera's micro-SD card. This is good as you only need one storage card and the files are sync'd. You have the option of viewing the video side-by-side if your view allows it or separately, if you wish. I use VLC Media Player or Dashcam Viewer. DV has a premium version with more options but VLC is a great viewer and it's free. If you do get a camera, get one that does NOT require batteries. The better ones use a capacitor to shutdown.

Comment

Plus 1 for the capacitor powered dash cams, these live much longer than the battery powered units.
        Also be aware that some cameras also have the option to record and display GPS info, this could incriminate you if it shows for instance that you were speeding when Joe Schmuck ran into you. If you weren't speeding you most likely would not have been there to meet Joe S.

I have had two in use in both the car and truck for a number of years now and have upgraded to the capacitor powered units, long life and not affected by the heat like batteries.
        I feel almost under-insured when I'm driving without one.
        Have also recorded some beautiful video clips of lightning and other oddities that I normally would not have had the opportunity to do.

Some good recommendations here:
        https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2020/

Also some good YOUTUBE videos out there to do some real world side by side visual comparisons on most of what is out there.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Down load app and use your phone seems to work good.

Comment

OK, so suppose you have one, and some idiot pulls in front of you, causing an accident.

How does the evidence thing get dealt with? Do the police just grab the whole thing and give it back when they are done (maybe)? How does that evidence get to where it needs to be?

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

By the looks of YT and all the crash and similar videos having a dashcam seems to attract the crazies...

Having said that not a lot of folks these days are willing to pull to the side and come over and tell you that they will be your witness. It's rapidly turning into not being that sort of world. So we're left relying on a dash cam.

I just got one of the types that fits over the rear view. It's a nice mirror when the screen isn't in a display mode and is a darn nice video screen when doing a review. And I like that there's no really clearly obvious camera stuck to the wind screen. If this one works out for a few months I'm going to get another for the truck.

As far as the cops go I'd say you might want to buy two memory chips. Keep one in the camera and the other at home. If you get into an accident and the video is going to save your keester and cops ask you for the video right there just click out the chip (usually micro SDRAM these days) and hand it over. Then when you get home... assuming you can drive.... fetch the other matching chip out of the house and install and treat it as the manual requires and carry on. Just don't get into a second accident on the way home...

But I'm thinking that usually these days they will simply ask you to send them the clip covering the time a little before and the actual accident. And that you would need to go home and click the chip out, stick it into your home 'puter and copy the protected time clip to a file and email it to the cop attending the scene.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

As with many other things, dash cams are illegal in Portugal. You cant film anyone without permission and even speed radars have to get the vehicle from behind so that the driver's privacy is protected. Can't have a speed photo sent home with the fine with the driver sitting next to someone that's not supposed to be there
                Helder Ferreira
                Setubal, Portugal

Comment

The video taken by YOUR camera(s) is YOUR property as is the memory chip they are contained on. The police cannot "seize" your property without a warrant. You may OFFER the video for viewing by the investigating officer but you will need a way to show it. Do not turn the memory card over to the officer. Even after viewing, the officer may or may not take your video as "evidence" or "facts" to the accident. He is only there to investigate and supply his opinion in a report. If your opinion differs, the matter can be settled later with the "evidence".

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    OK, so suppose you have one, and some idiot pulls in front of you, causing an accident.

How does the evidence thing get dealt with? Do the police just grab the whole thing and give it back when they are done (maybe)? How does that evidence get to where it needs to be?
                    According to my police officer friend, (per Ken) if you offer up the video to him, he will use his smart phone to take a video of your device playing the video and enter his copy as evidence.

If that happens to me I will also download the video to my computer then make a backup so I don't lose my video as well as edit out the prior many minutes of me just driving along before the accident to send to the insurance company,.

Steve
                    Last edited by SteveF; 09-22-2020, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Definetly want front and rear cams.
                      A friend discovered that the rear cam discourages cops who swoop in behind you to scan your tag and look for minor infractions to pull you over.

Comment

A dashcam might help if some fool causes an accident that your in but it might also make you the fool.
                        Last edited by loose nut; 09-23-2020, 12:54 PM.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

How about a rear facing camera and reasonable size monitor solely for visibility in lane changes? In our super heavy traffic everybody is in a hurry and my vehicle's rear visibility is not so great.. One route I take frequently I enter the freeway in the leftmost lane lane and need to cross 4 lanes to the right for my exit in a mile and a half. This is in a 60mph zone where the usual speed is 70+ and driver courtesy is rare..

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                            The video taken by YOUR camera(s) is YOUR property as is the memory chip they are contained on. The police cannot "seize" your property without a warrant. You may OFFER the video for viewing by the investigating officer but you will need a way to show it. Do not turn the memory card over to the officer. Even after viewing, the officer may or may not take your video as "evidence" or "facts" to the accident. He is only there to investigate and supply his opinion in a report. If your opinion differs, the matter can be settled later with the "evidence".
                            LOL..........Yep, that and $10 will get you coffee at a fancy joint...... In a practical world the cop says "gimme", you ask for a receipt and he says "shut up".

I'd not advise you to come to Missouri... The state that confiscated $10,000 in cash because it was "obviously drug money" (no evidence whatsoever), and confiscated a high end SUV that a guy inherited over a few hundred bucks in fines. The last one got overturned in court, but I am not sure the SUV was ever given back.

You "rights" are what the local sheriff says they are, until you have a court tell the sheriff differently.

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                            A dashcam might help if some fool causes a accident that your in but it might also make you the fool.
                            "Might" is not the same as "will". They loop, so all that you would need to do is let it roll..... it will record over for the few I have seen, so you can just claim an "oopsie" if you feel like that is a better plan.

Do they have a USB so that you can make a copy without having to take the chip card to a computer somewhere?
                            Last edited by J Tiers; 09-22-2020, 10:27 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                              I have two. One in the car and a front/rear in the truck. Both are Viofo units. Pretty good quality videos. The truck unit has a separate camera for the rear view. It also records to different files on the front camera's micro-SD card. This is good as you only need one storage card and the files are sync'd. You have the option of viewing the video side-by-side if your view allows it or separately, if you wish. I use VLC Media Player or Dashcam Viewer. DV has a premium version with more options but VLC is a great viewer and it's free. If you do get a camera, get one that does NOT require batteries. The better ones use a capacitor to shutdown.
                              which viofo model(s) did you get Ken? I've been looking for a double set up since we were rear ended a couple of months ago. What did you wire the power into for the camera?

Comment

Working...
                              X