Prime Weld Cut 60 Plasma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Weld Cut 60 Plasma

I have been trying to figure out what was going on with my new Cut 60 machine... No matter what I tried the darn thing would not even cut 1/2 in material Today I installed new tips from George's Plasma and finally got it to work well! If you are having problems with yours I suggest buying a kit for george and getting rid of the consumables that come with the machine.. Doing so also gets you a real drag tip and your days of using that clumsy tip gard will be over..

I got consumables from George's for my harbor freight plasma. Pretty much the same results you experienced, night and day difference in the machines performance.

Comment

At first when I read the post I thought someone was trying to sell me something. Then I watched the vid. Seems like more of a shop guy giving a nic review of something that may help some folks with a plasma cutter that has crap tips.

Two things were a lil odd for me through. His first couple cuts with the "stock" tip and stand-off was the direction of cut (he changed it later). He was "pushing" the torch and not "pulling". I always pull cut with the plasma, as he does on the "new" tips.

Second, stand-off. Shoot that stock stand-off drag thing is way too large for that machine. The new drag tip is right at the metal.

I have handheld plasma cut lots of metal. Its can be about the tips as well as so many other things.

I wont be buying any for my thermodynamics machine but a HF Italian machine might benny from them.

I slice 1/2" SS bank safety deposit box doors open with a 1/32" kerf clean through. Get the machine you need JR
      Dont ask about the boxes.
      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Not trying to sell anything, just trying to help others out

That video was just one of many I tried cutting... Push Pull not any difference in the cut,.. The tips are just crap

The stock stand off is a throw back to the old days.. I have A smith industries machine that uses the same thing... Consumables for that thing were EXPENSIVE!!! I was given the machine and it did not even have the stand off

Comment

Originally posted by swatkins View Post
          Not trying to sell anything, just trying to help others out

That video was just one of many I tried cutting... Push Pull not any difference in the cut,.. The tips are just crap

The stock stand off is a throw back to the old days.. I have A smith industries machine that uses the same thing... Consumables for that thing were EXPENSIVE!!! I was given the machine and it did not even have the stand off
          I get it. I am just a home garage type guy. My plasma cutting times were fun

I chit you not. Oxy and Act were not invited. Too problematic. The Fire thing.

Plasma? Heck yeah.

I mostly only cut 16ga, mild sheets, 4'x8' sheets need to get smaller some how. They aint gonna do it themselves ") JR

IMO?? Do the best you can.

Comment

Thanks for the review. I need to get some of those drag tips for my machine. I also hate the standoff. It makes pattern following and jig use pretty tough.

Comment

I slice 1/2" SS bank safety deposit box doors open with a 1/32" kerf clean through.
              Um... does the FBI know about this?
              "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

Know about it? He's the guy they hired! 🤣🤣
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

Hey, what they dont know cant possibly hurt them

25 years ago a friend was working for a company that refurbs banks. The owner of the company let him dispose of 20 "units". Each unit has 15 boxes. He gave me two.

I removed the doors, welded the two together stacked and welded some wheels on. I use the cabinets for tooling.

The doors are stainless and I was learning how to use my new plasma cutter. Those door are tough cookies... JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	ss door.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	1901556

Comment

I'm new to plasma cutting, I only have a 40 amp/240 volt machine, but I can see from the video that cutting through multi-layered stacks is far different than cutting through a solid piece of the same thickness. I have not attempted to see how thick of material I can cut. And I really don't care. If I can't cut it with my machine, I will use the A/O. Or get a bigger Plasma. Problem solved 😎

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                    Oregon Coast

Comment

I have a Miller plasma cutter. It's supposed to do up to 3/4". Never cut 3/4" yet but have done 1/2" I don't have any complaints other than the skewed cut but that seems to be typical of all plasma cutters and can be compensated for by holding the cutting tip at a slight angle. Just wondering if I would benefit from different consumables like shown in the video??

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                        Just wondering if I would benefit from different consumables like shown in the video??
                        JL................
                        Doubt it. I think they are geared towards the inexpensive machines sold by HF and the like. I thought there were some made in Italy machines also.

You have a top of the line machine so I would keep using miller if thats who you use now.

Mine is a Thermal dynamics and the consumables were killing me. I adapted some other manufactures tips and electrodes to work for me.

The thermal-dynamics tips and electrodes are much nicer, last longer. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Doubt it. I think they are geared towards the inexpensive machines sold by HF and the like. I thought there were some made in Italy machines also.

You have a top of the line machine so I would keep using miller if thats who you use now.

Mine is a Thermal dynamics and the consumables were killing me. I adapted some other manufactures tips and electrodes to work for me.

The thermal-dynamics tips and electrodes are much nicer, last longer. JR
                          That's kind of what I figured but thought I'd ask. I've had my Miller for 13 years and still on the original consumables.

JL....

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                            I have a Miller plasma cutter. It's supposed to do up to 3/4". Never cut 3/4" yet but have done 1/2" I don't have any complaints other than the skewed cut but that seems to be typical of all plasma cutters and can be compensated for by holding the cutting tip at a slight angle. Just wondering if I would benefit from different consumables like shown in the video??

JL................
                            I would say if it is working for you, stick with it I was having problems and it was not working.... The tips that came with the machine were not marked and I really still don't know what amp they were rated for. Someone said 60, but who knows....

With the Tips I bought from George things are cutting much better and the tips are marked so I know which ones to use for the correct amp settings... The originals are not marked and you can buy them is packs of 100 on ebay! I'm too lazy to always be changing tips

As to cutting stacked metal not being the same as a solid piece that is true... But it was close enough for an easy test....

Comment

Originally posted by swatkins View Post

I would say if it is working for you, stick with it I was having problems and it was not working.... The tips that came with the machine were not marked and I really still don't know what amp they were rated for. Someone said 60, but who knows....

With the Tips I bought from George things are cutting much better and the tips are marked so I know which ones to use for the correct amp settings... The originals are not marked and you can buy them is packs of 100 on ebay! I'm too lazy to always be changing tips

As to cutting stacked metal not being the same as a solid piece that is true... But it was close enough for an easy test....
                              I don't believe my Miller came with a selection of tips.

One tip for all thicknesses and settings.

JL................

Comment

Working...
                              X